They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

SOS! I need to create a bootable Win10 DVD,,,

Talk about anything here.

Re: SOS! I need to create a bootable Win10 DVD,,,

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:19 pm

George Tyndall wrote:
I'll report back after doing so.

Acer did not send a set of disks. Instead they sent a USB stick with the title "USB System Recovery Disk."

According to the documentation, this will allow me to "restore your computer to to the operating state it was in when you purchased your computer."

In other words, if I understand this correctly, it would "allow" me to perform a clean install of all the many changes that we have made since we purchased it, which is not helpful
:ha:

Am I understanding correctly?

Thank you.

HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:49 pm

George Tyndall wrote:
In other words, if I understand this correctly, it would "allow" me to perform a clean install of all the many changes that we have made since we purchased it, which is not helpful
:ha:

Am I understanding correctly?

That's how I see it.
Peru

Postby Peru » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:43 pm

A thought:
Put an old, not needed, or a new hard drive in place of your boot drive. Use the USB stick to restore the OS to the drive. Then see if it will let you make a repair disc so that you can use it to make the clone bootable.
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:14 am

Peru wrote:A thought:
Put an old, not needed, or a new hard drive in place of your boot drive. Use the USB stick to restore the OS to the drive. Then see if it will let you make a repair disc so that you can use it to make the clone bootable.

I should have thought of that before asking, thus the blushing icon for this post.

Thanks once again for the reply.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:10 pm

Peru wrote:I do make images, too: belt and suspenders.

"Belt and suspenders"--love both the meaning and the imagery (my 75-year-old great grandfather always wore both while plowing, by hand, his large fruit and vegetable garden).

Are you familiar with Steven Harris at http://www.stevenharris.net/?

Harris is widely considered the "head honcho" among preppers. On his site, you will find loads of free videos and podcasts re preparing in advance for every imaginable type of disaster. With regard to the specific items that one must have on hand, his oft-repeated refrain is:

One is none, two is one, three is two, etc.

Harris says that, before providing a link to any item on Amazon, he personally tests it before recommending it to his followers. Of all the many videos, the only one I've ever had to pay for is the one re setting up a battery bank to provide power when--not if but when--there is a widespread power outage

:eek:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:22 pm

George Tyndall wrote:
Peru wrote:A thought:

I should have thought of that before asking, thus the blushing icon for this post.

Thanks once again for the reply.

As expected, the USB stick is reinstalling the version of Win10 that came with the machine and erasing everything else on the "practice" internal HDD. As soon as it completes, I will try your suggestion of asking the OS to create system repair disk. If that does not work, then I will contact Acer.

BTW, if I were to go the backup-and-restore instead of the clone route with EaseUS, I'm assuming from previous experience that I would still need a repair disk in order to boot. Is that correct?

Thanks again for sharing your expertise.

:-5
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:43 pm

George Tyndall wrote:
BTW, if I were to go the backup-and-restore instead of the clone route with EaseUS, I'm assuming from previous experience that I would still need a repair disk in order to boot. Is that correct?

Yes:
If you decide to try EaseUS, remember to immediately create the offered emergency boot disk after installation.
This will allow you to boot into EaseUS Recovery and restore a backup in the event that your machine cannot boot into Windows.
However, if your machine is able to fully boot into Windows, you can then restore your backup from your installed program.

from here:
http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showthread.php?t=133722
Peru

Postby Peru » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:50 pm

George Tyndall wrote:Are you familiar with Steven Harris at http://www.stevenharris.net/?

With regard to the specific items that one must have on hand, his oft-repeated refrain is:

One is none, two is one, three is two, etc.

I've often repeated (I forget where I read it):
If you only have one backup, then you don't have a backup.
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Peru wrote:
George Tyndall wrote:

Yes:
If you decide to try EaseUS, remember to immediately create the offered emergency boot disk after installation.
This will allow you to boot into EaseUS Recovery and restore a backup in the event that your machine cannot boot into Windows.
However, if your machine is able to fully boot into Windows, you can then restore your backup from your installed program.

from here:
http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showthread.php?t=133722

Yes, my very first task after installing EaseUS on her machine was to create a WinPE boot disk to be used if ever we decide to go the backup-restore route.

My continuing problem is that, when attempting to boot from the clone that I created with EaseUS, I am informed that I first need to run a Windows System Repair disk. Typing "Create System Repair Disk" does nothing on her Win10 machine. So I did create one on both a DVD and a USB stick by downloading from MS per the detailed instructions from WinTips.org above; however, after clicking Repair in the lower-left rather than Install Now in the center of the screen that appears when I boot from either the stick or the DVD, nothing happens.

Question: Should I be clicking on Install Now instead? Wouldn't that install the older version of Win10 that I downloaded from MS rather than booting my clone?

:conf:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:23 pm

Bob wrote:I don't know why DriveCloner 6.0 didn't create a fully bootable clone. It should have been able to do that. Perhaps you should try a different program such as Easeus Todo.

The bootable install you created on the USB stick can function as an intall disk or as a repair/rescue disk. The repair option could be used to make the drive that DriveCloner 6.0 created bootable. If you try that, make sure to only have that one disk connected to avoid part of the boot components being placed on a different drive.

It sounds like you may be wanting to create a standalone bootable backup disk similar to the one you had from Acronis. Is that what you are looking for?

Hi Bob,

Clicking repair in the USB Stik to boot with the EaseUS clone does nothing, despite Rufus creating what appears to be a very viable repair/installation disk.

For Bob.JPG

:conf:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:45 pm

I wonder if you copy those files to a cd and try to boot from the cd if you will have a repair option?
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:20 pm

Peru wrote:I wonder if you copy those files to a cd and try to boot from the cd if you will have a repair option?

I tried the DVD before the Stick.

I'm chatting with Acer at the moment -- not helpful. They offer only the ability to install the version of Win10 that came with the machine, no System Repair Disk.

Since her system is small--C Drive only 80GB--I'm going to try backup and restore instead.

Will report back later.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sat May 13, 2017 11:20 am

George Tyndall wrote:Will report back later.

I haven't yet had time to deal with her machine, as I continue to struggle with creating a backup of my Win7 machine.

Note from Muvipix01 that Acronis 2017 New Generation appears to have created a good backup, although I can't explain why the available free space on Drive E is so much less than on Drive C.

Muvipix 02 shows that, although Drive E is healthy, it contains none of the data in parentheses for Drive C, which is why it will not boot.

When I attempt to boot from the backup, I am advised that I must boot with an installation disk.

I did so but was advised that the disk was not recognized- Ditto for the System Repair Disk that I created before creating the backup,

Questions:

1) Both drives are internal. Would switching the Drive E target drive to the internal position that Drive C the source disk occupies make a difference?

2) Instead of using a repair disk, is it possible that I merely need to change the boot order? I recall reading somewhere that if I have EFI, then I need to change the boot order in some way when booting, but I don't recall the details.

3) Could the fact that I formatted Drive D, the Recovery Drive, because I don't need it have anything to do with the failure to boot?

Thank you.

Muvipix01.JPG

Muvipix02.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Water Cooler