They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

The FAA Commercial Drone Certificate

Talk about anything here.

The FAA Commercial Drone Certificate

Postby 818Drones » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:23 pm

I posted this initially in Introductions as a response to a question but think it probably belongs here...

Paz asked me for suggestions related to getting the FAA's part 107 certificate. If you're considering using a drone to add aerial videos to your resume' you'll definitely want to get this certificate. You can certainly make aerial videos for fun without the certificate, but as soon as you enter the for-profit arena, making those videos without the certificate becomes illegal and introduces the risk of some seriously significant penalties.

With that preamble, here's how I did it...

My first stop on the path to the part 107 certificate was www dot faasafety dot gov . There on the top row of the home page you'll find a link to a programmed-instruction course that provides an excellent introduction and overview of the certificate and how to get one. It also lists some essential resources you'll need as you prepare for the test. You'll need to create an account, but it's free and gives you access to a ton of free reference materials.

The test itself is actually geared toward folks who already have a pilot's license. You don't need a license to receive the certificate, but it sure helps. Here's a tip: the test is heavily slanted toward interpreting aeronautical charts. If you're not a pilot, be prepared to devote serious study to what are known as sectional charts. If you know a pilot, take them out for some coffee and let him or her help you get acquainted with them. I do have a PP license, and the test was still pretty challenging. Don't let this discourage you, though - lots of non-pilots are getting the certificate.

I took a course on Udemy dot com geared toward preparing for the test. I highly recommend it or one like it. If memory serves it was $49 - money very well spent. The test itself costs $150 and should take about an hour or so to complete. When you feel ready, you can sign up for the test here: www dot catstest dot com. Someone there will help you identify the nearest testing site (it will probably be located at a nearby airport).

I hope this helps. If you have any questions at all, either now or ongoing, please don't hesitate to ask.

All the best,
Patrick
818Drones
New User
New User

Re: The FAA Commercial Drone Certificate

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:47 pm

Thanks, Patrick!
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:44 pm

Wow. I also have a PP license, but it's been a while, so I would have to brush up on a few things. $150 you say for the test. That seems kind of high. Administrative costs, I guess. This could be fun.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:31 pm

I think $150 for the license is high too. Especially on top of the $$$ this course costs:

https://www.licensetobuild.com/commerci ... -training/

Glad to hear there's one available for "only" $49, but I still think the government should provide a text book of some sort. I'm going to continue looking from time to time. If I find a source, I'll let y'all know.

We've had two pilots and two navigators in the family but they've all passed away so no help for me there. I don't have plans to fly my quadcopter over 400 feet or so far away that I can't see it. It really seems silly to have to get a pilots' license to me. Especially at $150!!! :fg:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby 818Drones » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:41 pm

Most of the materials available at faasafety dot gov are free.
818Drones
New User
New User

Postby 818Drones » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:56 pm

And I agree with you - $159 for a part 107 course is too high. There are several excellent courses out there for much less than that. In fact, I just went back out to udemy dot com and the ground-school course I took is listed at $10: www dot udemy dot com/uas-operations-study-course/learn/v4/overview

As noted earlier, you don't need a part 107 certificate to fly your drone for fun. But you will need the part 107 certificate if and when you enter the for-profit arena. The FAA's term for this is "in the furtherance of business", and there are some severe penalties for operating your drone in this environment without the certificate. Given the explosion of opportunities for using the aerial photography and videography capabilities of a drone, it seems almost foolish to not do whatever it takes to get that certificate. As just one example, I was contacted by a photographer in Birmingham (90 miles away) for a half-day shoot at a construction site. The client insisted that the drone pilot have the "new" (client's word) part 107 certificate, and I was the nearest one. I won't tell you what I earned for that half-day of drone videography, but I will say it nearly paid for my new Phantom 4, and I've only been doing this for about two months now.

In any case, my only agenda in posting this information was to let those of you good folks who are currently using a drone to take fun photos and videos know that earning the certificate is a worthwhile objective. It's challenging but definitely do-able.
818Drones
New User
New User

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:38 pm

I was contacted by a photographer in Birmingham (90 miles away) for a half-day shoot at a construction site. The client insisted that the drone pilot have the "new" (client's word) part 107 certificate, and I was the nearest one.

Good that the client wanted to be sure everything was done right.

I won't tell you what I earned for that half-day of drone videography, but I will say it nearly paid for my new Phantom 4, and I've only been doing this for about two months now.

Sounds like a "big time" construction company. You didn't say what type of construction, but thought I'd mention that all types of construction still photos can be good sellers at stock photo agencies. Especially shots such as "Executives in shirtsleeves and brightly colored hard hats looking at blueprints on a massive construction site." Another good seller is anything with cranes. Well done, of course, blemish free in the entire image at 100% magnification, etc.

If you'd like to enhance your income by taking images from your drone footage, be certain (that is, have a written contract) that the construction company, or any client, will agree that you retain copyrights to your shots. Naturally, it is a good idea to have any and all humans be unrecognizable as in showing them mostly from behind, faces hidden. Otherwise, it would be a good idea to get signed permission from any individual as well.

Congrats and good luck!
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Water Cooler