They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

The action camera Market seems to really be shrinking

Talk about anything here.

The action camera Market seems to really be shrinking

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:58 pm

Wearable Camera maker ION Worldwide Files for Bankruptcy

ON Worldwide Inc., maker of wearable digital recorder that competes with industry leader GoPro Inc., has filed for bankruptcy after seeing a significant drop in revenue last year.

Company of New Jersey has reached a restructuring support agreement with one lender, which would cut more than $ 15 million of debt from the balance sheet and enable ION to stay in business.

ION Chief Financial Officer Chris Oatway said in court documents filed last week that the company’s cash starvation has been mired with problems, including a dispute with one of the licensed brands and intellectual-property lawsuit with GoPro.

ION create a line of wearable cameras in various sizes, home-security products and dash cams, among other products, under the brand ION and Contour.

ION see a drop in revenue to $ 12.4 million in 2015 from more than $ 25 million in 2014, Mr. Oatway said in court documents. companies seek to cut costs and lay off employees, but it was not enough to stave off bankruptcy.

litigation involving the company also cut into the bottom line of this ION. the company filed a patent lawsuit against GoPro end of last year. And although the lawsuit is “the most likely of producing results,” the company will lead to high legal fees, Mr. Oatway said in court documents.

ION Contour LLC also sued earlier this year in an attempt to get out of its license agreement. The two companies have since reached an agreement which allows the ION to continue to sell products Contour, according to court documents.

ION expects to keep the business running and said in court documents that it will launch a new 4K cameras by the end of summer, which the company says will be priced to compete with the GoPro.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: The action camera Market seems to really be shrinking

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:04 pm

I went to look up a patent the other day and had to watch a tutorial on how to search. When I was done watching, I thought no wonder legal fees are so high. You need a army to search for the information in all corners of the earth.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:40 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:I went to look up a patent the other day and had to watch a tutorial on how to search. When I was done watching, I thought no wonder legal fees are so high. You need a army to search for the information in all corners of the earth.

And then when the process is done and your patent is granted, a year later you get sued. ](*,)
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:02 pm

Or you have the Law Firm that is really just a patent troll looking for ways to make money on patent infringement.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:03 am

Maybe the action camera market has hit the top of the bell curve?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to Water Cooler