They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Microsoft: You WILL update.

Talk about anything here.

Microsoft: You WILL update.

Postby Peru » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:54 pm

Peru

Re: Microsoft: You WILL update.

Postby _Paz_ » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:12 pm

I'm so glad I upgraded and happened to get 7 last time.

Still, it's good to know that when the time comes that I have to upgrade again, I need to buy a higher version. Thanks for posting, Peru.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:27 pm

i guess it depends on your point of view.

My Mac updates automatically. My phone and virtually all of my apps update automatically. And even my Adobe programs offer regular updates that I don't know why I'd refuse.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Though, yes, I know once in a while an update has to quickly be pulled and revised...
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:51 pm

I may be over cautious, Steve, but I do prefer 'notify me to upgrade', then I go directly to the site for downloads instead of clicking 'yes' on a link, especially from an email, and letting that take over and install things.

I'm not great with computers but I've been tech help for Mr. B and my sister for years. I've had to get rid of things that were installed without them realizing it many times... unchecking some of those boxes before installation can make a difference.

Somehow my sister got a program called WebRoot installed on her computer. No one knows how it happened... but then one day it expired and then it ...who knows how???... got her credit card number and renewed itself and charged her card all without her knowing a thing about it until the bill came.

If I knew more I might be less cautious. I know just enough to stay [strike]paranoid[/strike] scared! :oops:
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:31 pm

_Paz_ wrote:Somehow my sister got a program called WebRoot installed on her computer. No one knows how it happened... but then one day it expired and then it ...who knows how???... got her credit card number and renewed itself and charged her card all without her knowing a thing about it until the bill came.

Years ago I used Webroot (before I realized that free security apps work just as well or better) She had to have at some point in time purchased it (possibly as an add on while purchasing something else). It then kept her information and renewed itself because it has a clause that it will self renew unless you notify them not to do so.
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:14 am

If you're getting WebRoot as an automatic update, it's not coming from Microsoft, of course.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:20 pm

Peru

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:39 am

Peru wrote:This might be of interest:
http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to- ... g-updates/

Bookmarked! I also found this useful:-

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... ent_using/

If you scroll down a little way you will also find instructions on uninstalling some of the Microsoft installed bloatware. For example Zune, which I never owned so why do I need it in Windows 10? Ditto X-Box.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:23 am

Thanks, Peru. That explains the auto renewal.

If you're getting WebRoot as an automatic update, it's not coming from Microsoft, of course.

Of course. We have no idea how it got on her machine in the first place but she would click on any and everything to update in the early days. I can't guess how many hours I've spent rooting out viruses for her. Eventually I suggested she never allow an update - to take note of them and go directly to the source site - adobe, oracle, mozilla... and get her updates from the source. It pretty much ended her problems.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler