They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

ISO Noise Test Results

Talk about anything here.

ISO Noise Test Results

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:53 pm

I've noticed that when stopping down my new (to me) lens with a reduced opening at the end of the lens, the video can get MUCH more grainy.

I'm not sure if the camera, in Aperture mode, might be changing the ISO setting even though I have selected an ISO setting. (The aperture is set at f/5.6 because that's the only setting where auto focus will work with the lens.)

While trying to find out what may be going on I came across this test for the Canon 7D, after having read a little here and there that while film was based on 100s, the digital world is still based on 64s. That the best ISO settings are multiples of 160s. This test apparently proves it to be so, on the 7D at least. I'll be setting at either 160, 320, or 640 from now on.

Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: ISO Noise Test Results

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:17 pm

_Paz_ wrote:I've noticed that when stopping down my new (to me) lens with a reduced opening at the end of the lens, the video can get MUCH more grainy.

Maybe I don't understand the nature of the question, but reduced aperture size (bigger f number) translates to less light coming into the sensor, so either the shutter speed must slow down or the ISO must be jacked up (or both) to maintain exposure. I would expect Aperture Priority mode to result in autonomous shutter speed and ISO adjustments simultaneously, and if the ISO is being increased by the camera, then the graininess is not surprising (depending on the ISO setting of course).

But you already know that so I guess I don't understand the question??

That is an interesting test in the video you shared. It never occurred to me to film blackness at different ISO settings to test for noise grain. Unless Bob explains why that is a bad idea, I think I'll try it. ;)
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler