They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

A thought?

Talk about anything here.

A thought?

Postby BuddyB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:05 pm

Win 10 does not do a wunnerful job on screen capture. I found Snagit, and it seems to be excellent for stills or streaming. I'm not just nuts over spending $50 for it, but will if need be. Any suggestions appreciated. :)
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: A thought?

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:11 pm

Have you tried the Windows Snipping Tool Buddy? It's under All Programs > Accessories. It's not nearly as full-featured as SnagIt, but if you just need a basic screen capture function it does the job.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:12 pm

I use the Windows snipping tool frequently and keep it pinned to the Windows task bar for easy access. It doesn't do motion captures, you'll need something like snagit for that. But, for static screen captures it works well. I usually have it set to capture an arbitrary rectangle, but you can set it to capture a window or the full screen. And, hey, it's free and you already have have it.
Bob

Postby BuddyB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:19 pm

I bow to the resident genius. :) Thanks Bob that will help a lot.
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:30 pm

Buddy,

So good to see you here! I hope you're feeling better.

Do you have Photoshop? Or another image editor? If so, you can press Control and PrtSc (print screen) simultaneously and it will copy the image on your screen to your computer's clipboard. Then open a new image in Photoshop - somehow it knows to open the correct dimensions - and Control + V to paste and you have it. Only the single still though. No movies.

Cyberlink, the maker of Power Director has a new Screen Capture program. Sorry, I don't know the cost off hand.

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby BuddyB » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:35 am

Thnks Paz I'm much better, and getting better all the time. I do have Ps and will give that a shot; will also check out Power Director and see what's up. I really appreciate the input. I'm still working full time, and I don't seem to have enough free time to explore like I once did. God is good! :) And thank you as well Dave. This will always be my favorite hangout because of the folks here.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:23 pm

Getting better all the time.. Better... Better... Bettttteerrrrrr....

Now I'll have the Beatles in my head for days, Buddy! So glad!

One advantage of taking your screen capture directly into Photoshop is that you can crop and re-size as desired, and save for the web. Good luck with your project.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:17 pm

Just a comment regarding the print screen key in windows.

You don't need to press the "ctrl" key. That key is ignored. All you need to do is press Print Screen. The key is labeled various ways on different keyboards. My current keyboard uses "Print Screen", but you may see Prtsc, Prtscn, or various other abbreviations on other keyboards. However it's spelled on your keyboard, the function is the same.

Pressing Print Screen copies an image of entire screen to the Windows Clipboard.

Pressing alt + Print Screen copies an image of the currently active window to the Windows Clipboard.

Once in the Windows Clipboard, it can be pasted into Photoshop or any other application that can accept bitmap images from the clipboard.

In Photoshop, you can paste the clipboard image into an open document, or you can create a new document and paste into that. If you open a new document, Photoshop will see there is an image in the clipboard and set the document type to "Clipboard" and set the dimensions to match the size of the image in the clipboard.

Using Print Screen with Photoshop works well. But, if you just want a quick screen capture, the Snipping Tool is pretty handy. You can set it to capture a full screen or the active window just like Print Screen, but you can also set it to capture an arbitrary area. I prefer to set it to capture a rectangular strip and I can click and drag to define the area on the fly as I need it. The Snipping Tool also has a pen to annotate the capture and a highlighter. You can directly send the capture to email or save it to a file. I think it's a good idea to learn how to do both methods.
Bob

Postby BuddyB » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:02 am

Thanks Box I'm interested in playing with the Alt Print Screen, if nothing else but to see how images may be manifested. The Snipping Tool is a gass, appreciate that being pointed out. The Snagit ut is pretty impressive, so at some point I may go ahead and spring for that; the streaming capture especially appeals to me.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler