They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

"All's clear. Patch while it's safe" says AskWoody

Talk about anything here.

"All's clear. Patch while it's safe" says AskWoody

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:07 pm

re Windows Updates.

Although he does not use the word "miracle," here is what he has written:

They did it again.

I’ve been posting MS-DEFCON warnings for seven (eight?) years, and I can’t recall having two MS-DEFCON 5 months in a row. Now we have three in a row. Hard to believe.

If you don’t mind having a Windows 10 advertisement stuck in your system tray — it won’t jump up and bite you — just go ahead and install everything that’s offered. If the thought of an obnoxious Microsoft ad on your machine bothers you, skip KB 3035583 and KB 3022345.

There are a few minor problems with SQL Server 2005, mentioned in my InfoWorld article, but for most of you it’s clear sailing.

For the third month in a row, I’m moving all the way down to MS-DEFCON 5: All’s clear. Patch while it’s safe.

The usual admonition applies: Use Windows Update, DON’T CHECK ANY BOXES THAT AREN’T CHECKED, reboot after you patch, and then run Windows Update one more time to see if there’s anything lurking. When you’re done, make sure you have Automatic Update turned off. I always install Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials updates as soon as they’re available – same with spam filter updates. I never install drivers from Windows Update (in the rare case where I can actually see a problem with a driver, I go to the manufacturer’s web site and download it from the original source).

P.S. Woody recommends against using IE -- either Firefox or Chrome are his preferences. He nevertheless recommends keeping Windows up to date, when and if he deems it safe to do so.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: "All's clear. Patch while it's safe" says AskWoody

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:24 am

As I said in your other thread, George, I think problems with Windows 10 are the rare exception rather than the rule. At least in my experience. And the new Edge web browser is a big improvement overs Explorer!

It's up to you -- and there's nothing wrong with waiting until the dust settles rather than rushing out as soon as a new operating system is released. But Windows 10 is definitely the future of PCs, and it's a pretty bright future in my experience.

And I wouldn't sweat the doomsayers too much. The same thing happens every time Apple releases a new OSX. A month or two from now, everyone will wonder what all the fuss was about.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby BuddyB » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:47 am

I'm with you on that Steve. BTW, I remember the Pizza offer made and plan, at some point, to take advantage. CBS "Sunday Morning" on Pizza boxes. And at some point stated the first Pizza was in Naples back in the 1800s.
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:18 am

As I say on my tour, Buddy, the first thing called a pizza was created in Naples in the early 1800s --- but it may or may not have been the first true pizza..

I look forward to having you on my tour, Buddy -- where you'll hear the "real" story of pizza!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Water Cooler