They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Sidd, about that field monitor holder you made...

Talk about anything here.

Sidd, about that field monitor holder you made...

Postby _Paz_ » Mon May 18, 2015 1:49 pm

Would you please post either a photo or diagram of what you put together?

Based on your idea, I've been tying out the GoPro elastic chest strap gizmo I bought as part of a knock off package set of GoPro accessories and it works - but the stretchy elastic straps are causing trouble. Sometimes I move the the monitor will roll over backwards, etc.

I added a convertor to go from GoPro to a regular 1/4 20 thread, put a tiny ball joint on top of that and the monitor attached to that. Top heavy, but without the ball joint I can't see it at a good enough angle to be sure of focus.

The fastening mechanism, the elastic around the body, all that is fine. I'm wondering if leather for the shoulder straps would help keep the monitor more stable.

thanks,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Sidd, about that field monitor holder you made...

Postby sidd finch » Tue May 19, 2015 9:09 am

Hi Paz, Just be aware it will not win any beauty contests. :)

http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/ ... G_5457.JPG

It is a 1x6 piece of pine board with an old camcorder bag handle strap screwed into the sides. The monitor is mounted to the pine board. I connect my GoPro via the HDMI and drape this around my neck while holding the GoPro.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Wed May 20, 2015 8:57 am

Smart way to do this, Sidd! Your holder is a much stronger setup than what I'm playing around with. Your monitor is more secure on that strong base and the one way directional adjustment is all that is needed.

I may try something like that before cutting up my GoPro chest strap. I found a pic online that looks exactly like mine. The two straps go over the shoulder and meet at a back plate. A separate strap then goes down, forming a "Y" shape, sort of like suspenders.

I'm using the Joby GoPro adapter for 1/4 20 thread and it doesn't really fit into the GoPro quick disconnect fitting, it is just wedged in there. With all the adapters plus mini ball head my monitor is pretty far out and with the super stretchy straps it bobs up and down with each step I take. While trying out a painters' extension pole I bumped the monitor and the whole thing flipped upside down. Fortunately didn't slip out of the holder... but waaaay too stretchy! I've got to figure out something better and your setup looks better.

Thanks! great idea!

like mine:

Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Wed May 20, 2015 9:17 am

I like that mount. They work really well. The biggest difference is that it might take a bit more to get "suited up" and buckled in. The length of the pine board stops the camera from flopping down because it is always pushing against my stomach. also since it is around my neck there is only the weight pulling it down and nothing around the sides. But I must say that I am always very self conscious of these kinds of things and do not like "being on view" when I am out in public since it attracts attention. The things we do for our art... :)

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Wed May 20, 2015 5:38 pm

I'm glad you suffer it, Sidd. You can video more translucent ants for us any old time now! ::CLAP:
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Thu May 21, 2015 7:17 pm

Kudos Sidd on your ingenuity! And Patrice has a lot of ingenuity too (I remember seeing her fig rig with mic and monitor attached). Hopefully I'll get a monitor soon and then I'll be looking for a pine board too!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby BuddyB » Sun May 24, 2015 11:38 am

BTW, how's yer back Sidd? I think it looks pretty cool myself. :mrgreen:
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler