They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New, Smart TV

Talk about anything here.

New, Smart TV

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:08 pm

Our old, 46"Samsung HD TV, well not all that old, about 5 years old, developed vertical columns of polarized stripes in the image on the right side of the screen a while back. We decided to live with it. Then it began staying dark on the left side for about 15 minutes for a few weeks.

Then it got worse. The left side stayed black for a couple of days. Time for something new.

We (I) picked out a 55" Samsung, Smart TV and now have a better understanding of what 'smart' means. At least I'm beginning to. It can connect to the internet and I can watch YouTube and Vimeo videos on it.

and WOW! So far we've watched some of Sidd's nature series and Ken's flying series and YES!!! The resolution from both of them looks great on the big screen.

I watched Mr. B's face while Ken's "Ancient Hunting Ground" was playing. He was absolutely rapt up in it. Captured. Amazed, smiling. And then toward the last, when the marker for the location of where the oak tree stood, I got chill bumps again, like I always do. So beautiful.

Thanks Guys!
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: New, Smart TV

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:30 am

I have a five year old Samsung HD TV. Mrs twosheds won't let me replace it - it still works perfectly - but as soon as it dies I, too, am after a 'smart' TV with a bigger screen so nice to hear of your experience with this new one. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby GerryB » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:17 am

Having invested in a smart TV recently I opened a topic here on the general subject of 'hackability' (is there such a word?) when the TV is conected to the Internet.
See post;
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12819&p=108987&hilit=smart+tv#p108987
Maybe this needs a 'fix', Ron!

Now I read this article on the BBC web site.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27761756

What I find most troubling is the last paragraph;
"Mr Oren said the standards body that oversaw HbbTV had been told about the security loophole. However, he added, the body did not think the threat from the attack was serious enough to require a re-write of the technology's security."

If anyone has trouble accessing this BBC article I will copy and paste as a text insert.

Gerry
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:36 am

GerryB wrote:Now I read this article on the BBC web site.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27761756

It seems like a scene from many movies and TV shows where a terrorist hacks TV broadcasts.
Peru

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:52 pm

I have a five year old Samsung HD TV. Mrs twosheds won't let me replace it - it still works perfectly - but as soon as it dies I, too, am after a 'smart' TV with a bigger screen so nice to hear of your experience with this new one. :-D

I understand that. No way would we have gotten a new one just for 'smart' and bigger. In fact, the only thing I've ever wished for that our old one didn't have was a little bigger... and truthfully, this one shows a much worse picture for low resolution images than the old one did. That's one of the things that pleased me so - to see that the Go-Pros have a great picture even this large. I didn't choose this one based on the Smart TV features so much as to get image quality as good or better than we had, we had to buy one that had smart features.

As for the 'smarts', this new one (Samsung UN55 FH6200) has a lower IQ than many. No mirroring, whatever that is. No camera. No voice commands. No amped up processor.

It can connect to the internet but not to our other computers without downloading an app for each of them, which I do not intend to do. I won't be making any purchases through it. I've checked out some websites, looked up recipes, which is cool, since it is viewable from the kitchen, and so far, YouTube and Vimeo.

I do want to be able to stream movies and tv shows through Amazon Prime. Haven't checked yet. I hope they have a separate login for that. The concerns listed by Gerry and Peru do concern me!!!
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:54 pm

This is a classic "man-in-the-middle" threat. The primary affected group of people are those that get their tv over-the-air. The broadcast program is picked up and retransmitted with a stronger signal so the thief's unit is picked up instead of the station's transmitter. The thief can then insert commands into the signal. Theoretically, cable is vulnerable as well. But, the thief would need to physically splice into the cable provider's system.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:33 am

Does it follow that if someone spliced into the cable company's line, they'd have direct access to all connected computers, much less TVs?
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:32 pm

It gets complicated, but basically, the answer is no.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:25 am

That's good news anyway.

I have figured out how to set up Amazon Prime for streaming. It takes a bit of doing. I had to go through a few hoops to get the TV recognized by Amazon. Hopefully that kind of setup will make it a bit more difficult for any potential hackers to try to log in to my account through their own TVs. They'd have to have my login to do so.

I haven't been able to figure out how to get closed captions to show. According to Amazon it is possible. Just not sure my device (TV) is going to be on their recognized list for that.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby BuddyB » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 am

Since the Smart Tv comes from the router, as a fear of hacking and using the system, I changed my SSID and made an extremely difficult password. Netflix, which we love, has been eating up our Internet data useage. Comcast security didn't have a clue. At first we thought we were hacked, but it turns out that you have 3 playback options with Netflix, low, medium, high and auto. The auto kicks in on setup, and I should find out in the next day or so if that was the culprit. I set ours to low, and frankly we could not tell a difference. It may be a bit softer, but the viewing is negligable; may try medium at some point, but for the time being we're fine. For years we've been using 40-60 gigs per month, but all of a sudden in May we're over 500 gigs and we do not run the Tv except in the evening and we may watch 2 or 3 "Rockfords." Comcast charges $10 for each 50 gigs over 300 and I'd like to avoid that if possible.
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby _Paz_ » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:42 pm

Ouch, Buddy!

As far as I know, our Charter cable service is all you can eat. Guess I'll have to check the bill to make sure now that we're using Amazon Prime. Thanks for the tip!

It took me a while to figure out how to get it set up. Now all it takes is navigating to the Amazon button on the 'main' web page. I've been pleased at how quickly shows load and play. There is little, if any, lag time. Except that there are NO commercials, you'd never know you were watching via the internet. That's what cable promised in the early days. I'm enjoying it while it lasts.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler