They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

History of the movie camera

Talk about anything here.

History of the movie camera

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:27 am

Here's a nice little compilation on the history of the motion picture camera.

HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: History of the movie camera

Postby IndyMike » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:50 am

Good find Steve. It has came a long way. I hear people say we are living in the golden age for making movies. I don't know if I would call it that or not. I would say it's cheaper to get in to it. I found a group called the Indiana Filmmakers Network on the internet. I went to one of their chapter meetings Monday night. They seam to network good on projects they have going on. I'm going to check the Bloomington chapter out. I found out that Robby Benson is teaching at Indiana University and gets involve with them.
i7860 8 GB of ram 1TB OS drive, 1TB storage drive and 2 USB back up drives. Canon Camera's Canon VIXIA HF G10 and Canon 70D
IndyMike

Postby momoffduty » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:54 am

IndyMike wrote: I found a group called the Indiana Filmmakers Network on the internet. I went to one of their chapter meetings Monday night. They seam to network good on projects they have going on. I'm going to check the Bloomington chapter out. I found out that Robby Benson is teaching at Indiana University and gets involve with them.

Mike, sounds like an interesting opportunity and local too! You will have to give us an update on projects.

Steve, great find! The early cameras where massive! And hand crank?! Gives me a new respect for the old films.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:16 am

It's funny to think that it wasn't that long ago that movie cameras were big, bulky things with Mickey Mouse ear film reels on top -- reels that needed to be replaced regularly.

Now, with few exceptions, Hollywood movies are shot digitally and saved to hard drives.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:37 am

That was amazing. It is interesting to see that throughout the development the consistency of capturing very unique shots has remained a constant. It was amazing to see some of the camera mounts that produced those famous shots. I especially loved the camera mounted to a slider on a race car at 3:43 that is unique. Great find Steve.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler