They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Air Force Museum Virtual Tour

Talk about anything here.

Air Force Museum Virtual Tour

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:45 pm

Here's something if you have some spare time on your hands. Don't know how long it's existed, but I came across a cool 360 degree panoramic virtual tour of the National Museum United States Air Force at Wright Patterson AFB, Dayton, OH. Click on the arrows to move from one scene to the next in a full tour of the facility, both inside and out. Watch for the video player links along the way, which are complementary to the displays - some really great video there. And don't forget to pan up from time to time to see the displays above. Some of the detailed printed information is readable too. I've been there a number of times over the years and can recommend it if you happen to be in the area. Plan on at least half a day.

http://nmusafvirtualtour.com/full/tour-std.html
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Air Force Museum Virtual Tour

Postby sidd finch » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:25 am

Dave that is too cool. I remember going there as a kid with my Dad. He was really into planes and could spout tons of information when we toured the museum. I kept asking where the roswell chrash was kept but he said that area was off limits.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 am

I haven't even finished it yet. I just keep coming back to it when I have a little time. I've discovered that there have been some major changes and additions made since I was last there. For example, the outdoor planes have been moved to a new area. The B-52, which used to be outdoors, has been moved to the Southeast Asia display. The Korean War exhibits have been switched to the other end of that hangar and greatly improved. The Cold War exhibits have been moved to a new (new to be used for displays) hangar and significantly expanded, and the Missile & Space silo is completely new. Now I have a strong urge to visit again. May have to put it on my to-do list when the weather breaks. I see that the imagery and coding were done by Loren Ybarrondo, and a Google search of that name reveals that he's also created a similar virtual tour of the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. Since I've never been there I'm especially interested in that too.

http://www.mnh.si.edu/vtp/1-desktop/

These vicarious explorations are not like doing it for real, but they're better than not doing it at all - and a lot less expensive! Of course both museums are free to tour, but travel expenses are high these days.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:41 am

I noticed that too. The x70 used to be outside and you could walk under it. I sent the link to my dad to check it out I am sure he will love it.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:12 am

Just read this morning that they're getting ready to unveil a mock-up space shuttle exhibit that was created from a Crew Compartment Trainer where over 300 astronauts trained for missions. Opens on Feb 26th. Eventually it will be moved to a new exhibit in a 4th hangar gallery building that's in the works in a planned expansion. They lost out in their bids to get one of the retired actual shuttles. :(

Shuttle-mock-up.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave McElderry

Return to Water Cooler