They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Golden hour calculator on b-roll.net

Talk about anything here.

Golden hour calculator on b-roll.net

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:24 pm

Years ago Sidd posted a thread http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6089&p=54530&hilit=golden+hour#p54530 with a link to a Golden Hour calculator. I have used it ever since. Well, the last few days I can't seem to get it to work right. I click Generate Table and the times are all midnight...for start of blue time, sunrise, end of golden hour, sunset, etc. It didn't make any difference if I changed the location, either. Does anyone else use this site and have you had any better success?

The link to the calculator is here... http://www.b-roll.net/goldenhour/generate.php
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Golden hour calculator on b-roll.net

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:26 pm

I will look at it and see if there is an additional setting. BTW I have been using an app on my smart phone to determine the golden hour. Easier since I am out and about when I happen to remember
Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:44 pm

Thanks Sidd! I did find another site on the web but what i loved about b-roll was that it presented a table for the entire month. You could see how much sun you gain in the morning and evening over the entire month - believe me, that's important where I live...sun means we're that much closer to the end of winter!!! I used to print it out...if I was planning a trip it was useful to determine what I could shoot and when...like, I can sleep in a rest area for a few hours and still have time to get to my destination to capture the sunrise...I don't have a smartphone :(
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:51 pm

I just tried it and it works for me. I plugged in my zip code and the month/year and it generated the table. I did this in Chrome, IE, and Firefox. So all this proves is that there's something wrong on your end, but I'm afraid that I don't have any clues why at this moment.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:38 pm

What smartphone app do you use for golden hour calculation? I recently heard about an app called "sun seeker" but I haven't tried it yet.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Something's wonky with that site. The calculator generates the table, but it's not correct. Tried with IE and Chrome.

Here are a couple of other golden hour calculators that work:

http://jekophoto.eu/tools/twilight-calculator-blue-hour-golden-hour/
This one creates a table for the month and gives the option of creating a pdf which you can save or print. Dates use the European convention: day-month-year.

http://www.golden-hour.com/
This one doesn't create a table that you can print, but it has a calendar selector at the bottom that you can use to select any date in the year.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:24 pm

Bob wrote:Something's wonky with that site. The calculator generates the table, but it's not correct. Tried with IE and Chrome.

What kind of problem do you see Bob? It seems correct to me on all three browsers I mentioned above.

Edit: Nevermind. I just went back in to do a screen capture to show that it was working for me and now it's broke. Shows the same issue that was described in the original post. Weird. It was definitely working just a while ago.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:09 pm

For comparison, I entered the zip code for downtown Los Angeles.

If I enter the UTC correction and generate the table I get this:

GH1.JPG

If I don't enter the UTC correction and generate the table I get this:

gh2.JPG

Sunrise is neither 2:57 am or 12:00 am on those dates. Also, on the second capture note that the time doesn't vary from one day to another as it should.

Compare that to the result from the jekophoto tool:

gh3.JPG

Sunrise comes at a much more reasonable time of 6:57 am.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:13 pm

Edit: Nevermind. I just went back in to do a screen capture to show that it was working for me and now it's broke. Shows the same issue that was described in the original post. Weird. It was definitely working just a while ago.

Definitely something wonky going on.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:21 pm

Bob wrote:Definitely something wonky going on.

I just love it when you talk techspeak Bob. :-D

Dave McElderry

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Bob wrote:Something's wonky with that site. The calculator generates the table, but it's not correct. Tried with IE and Chrome.

Here are a couple of other golden hour calculators that work:

http://jekophoto.eu/tools/twilight-calculator-blue-hour-golden-hour/
This one creates a table for the month and gives the option of creating a pdf which you can save or print. Dates use the European convention: day-month-year.

http://www.golden-hour.com/
This one doesn't create a table that you can print, but it has a calendar selector at the bottom that you can use to select any date in the year.

Glad to know it wasn't just me! Thanks Bob! I had found the golden-hour site already, but I really like the jekophoto site. I'll probably have to use that one if b-roll doesn't get fixed.

Dave McElderry wrote:
Bob wrote:Definitely something wonky going on.

I just love it when you talk techspeak Bob. :-D

Me too, Dave; me too!! :hyst:
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:13 pm

What smartphone app do you use for golden hour calculation? I recently heard about an app called "sun seeker" but I haven't tried it yet.

Ron I use PANASCOUT for the iPhone.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler