They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

The Short Film Thread

Talk about anything here.

The Short Film Thread

Postby momoffduty » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:01 pm

This is a new thread to share Short Films that you may run across and worth the share. I have quite a few, but will start off with these. You can read the full descriptions on the video pages.

The first is from a film student studying abroad in France. This film is about his personal journey to France for his film making courses:

The film Eccentric is by a film maker student from Pakistan. Several of his other videos are worth the watch too.

Last Statement was created on no budget with film makers from different countries shooting the scenes and then edited into the final piece. A little long at 31 minutes, but worth the watch. This is the info on the video page:

Last Statement combines the chilling tales of actual inmates awaiting their execution on Death Row. Berlin based Orla Wolf, the playwright, and project director Juliane Block manufactured a spellbinding narrative that strings these first person accounts into one continuous story. Todd Felderstein then added an additional fictional sequence that takes place at a neighborhood barbecue. This scene confronts the audience with a strong sense of reality and then introduces various degrees of tension suggesting that, if pushed, how easy is it for anyone to perform an unthinkable crime.

This 30 minute long short film was made by 10 different filmmakers from around the world, who directed different segments of the story, in a true no budget independent fashion.

aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: The Short Film Thread

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:48 pm

A Story of Lights was beautifully shot, but not too thrilled about the voiceover. I'll leave it at that. [-(

Eccentric was exactly that. Quirky and fun. Two thumbs up. :TU:

Couldn't make it through Last Statement; the subject matter was too difficult. Maybe another day.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Ron Hunter » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:20 pm

I was so focused on the great camera work in "Lights" that I didn't digest the narration. The ability of "Eccentric" to convey meaning without any spoken narration is excellent. Haven't watched the documentary about death row inmates because I cynically suspect the victims of those crimes aren't mentioned.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:52 pm

The last statement's subject matter is a tough one and I almost didn't watch it, but one of my contacts did a scene. The quality of the shots and the performances are very good which drives it along. The statements are a mix of cynical to repenting.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:35 pm

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:22 pm

What a great story, and very insightful. And told so well. =D>

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Wow, what a wonderful story told in a heartfelt way. "Worthy diplomat of her DNA" great quote.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Peru » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm

That was well done from the beginning to the end. :tup:
Peru

Postby Peru » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:35 pm

And while we're in a woodworking mood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yWmqbltB-c
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:07 pm

Nice find Bob. I love watching artists work. He has a steady hand to get the trees even.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Peru » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:31 am

Peru

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:09 am

This video is a tad long at 21 minutes, but really worth the watch. Storytelling with emotion of a place soon to be replaced with a new building. Description from the video page:

Leicester Indoor Market opened in 1973 and is now destined to be demolished in April 2014.

There are many reasons given for its demise such as out of town and online shopping, the lack of parking and the pedestrianisation of the city centre. The indoor market is often referred to as one of the "least loved" buildings in Leicester. Myself and Burt McNeill decided to create this short film in order to record the environments, people and sounds of the indoor market before it is demolished. We became aware of mixed feelings amongst the traders. Some are looking forward to being relocated in the new food halls that are being built while others fear that they will be forced to cease trading as they will not be able to afford the cost of renting units in the new buildings.

Filming took place in the last two weeks before Christmas and we were made to feel very welcome by all of the traders. The energy of the market is contagious. When it's busy, the market is a vibrant, colourful and exciting place and as Senior Market Manager Andrew Dul says at the very end of the film, "the market experience has some of its own trump cards in the battle for business."

A huge thank you to all of the traders and customers of the indoor and outdoor market for their contributions to this film. Special thanks to the market managers Andrew Dul, Jayne Black and Steve Whitehead.

The film was shot on a Canon 7d and graded with Film Convert in FCPX.

aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:46 am

What a great documentation of something that's to be lost forever. I'd love to be able to see it in person before it goes away, but that's not going to happen. I didn't find it long at all. It caught me up and was over before I knew it. My only issue was that I had to work too hard sometimes to understand what was being said. It would have helped it if was in English. :-D

Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:32 pm

Dave McElderry wrote: It would have helped it if was in English. :-D

The British English is rich in accent to our ears. When we first started hosting students from many countries I had a hard time understanding some of the student's English in their native accent. Now my ears are accustomed. I still have to translate sometimes for my husband. :)

I would love to see the market too before it is gone. It must have been booming in its hey day.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:40 pm

I'm waiting to hear from Twosheds. Glad he's got a sense of humor. :)
That fresh seafood sure did look good. It reminded me of the time we visited the fish market in Seattle. Took our hoard into the Olympic peninsula that evening and grilled out over the campfire. Wow! We don't get anything like that in NW Ohio. :(

Dave McElderry

Next

Return to Water Cooler