They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

The Short Film Thread

Talk about anything here.

Re: The Short Film Thread

Postby sidd finch » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:24 am

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:57 am

Interesting subject matter. The interviews were well done.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Thanks to Francesco for sharing this one with me.

Caleb is young film maker that I have been following on Vimeo for awhile now. Each of his videos are better and better. If you have a chance check out some of his videos. Here is his latest work, a visual portrait:

aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:39 am

Thanks, Cheryl, for sharing "A visual portrait".

I enjoyed it a lot although I felt, at the very beginning, that it didn't sound properly "for my strings". so solemn, so slow, so dark, so interior.

Then I interpreted it as an Orpheus' path digging his own soul, trying to watch reality not in its true colours but in a deep contrast of light and dark, of black and white.
A living reality in a multimedial way going through screens, photographs, filmlike series of pics, diaphragms of glass and branches and finally touching it (as well as his real soul, his wife and finally his child portrait) with his lips.
Will he find the truth, the light? Yes, just living his full energy but also as a living still portrait, sharing vision and a drop a of stream of consciousness, his tears.

Thanks again by dreaming Francesco
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:06 am

Old footage from the 60's with narrative. From the video page "The recollections of traveling and living in India from the Chin family. Co-produced by the Center for Asian American Media."

aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am

I loved it, Cheryl, it will probably inspire a video I and an old friend (nearly a brother) will make about the vision of our childhood.
He will play the soundtrack, piano.
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:26 pm

Roosevelt River Centennial Canoe Expedition

A wonderful documentary.

From the video page:

"Brazil, 2014. Exactly 100 years later, a group of canoeists return to the River of Doubt in order to retrace the steps of Rondon and Roosevelt in one of the wildest adventures ever made in the Amazon.

Although many things have changed along this time, the rapids, the tropical forest and it´s native people still there, testing the limits of those who dare to give them a try.

Seven groups tried the same quest. None ever made the entire trip.

This is our story...."

aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:37 am

Great experience, Cheryl.
I am a follower of Companhia de Canoagem and I have particularly liked this narration of an adventure in color and black and white.
Fantastic sunsets and water plays, nice people's storytelling.
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:24 am

What a fascinating thread! I'm always amazed at the discipline and focus of very short stories.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:30 am

momoffduty wrote:Roosevelt River Centennial Canoe Expedition

A wonderful documentary.

I watched this while drinking my morning coffee (not quite awake yet) and at first I found the pace of the editing to be so slow that I nearly gave up on it. But by the time that I was half through I began to realize that this video was slowing me down to the pace of the river trip, to the pace of a world I've never experienced. I did become immersed, and the half hour went by way too quickly. A fascinating blend of today and a hundred years ago. :TU:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:59 pm

Francesco, I follow Tony too. :)

Check out his other canoe videos which most run about 3 min or less. This one is long for the documentary.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:23 pm

Cheryl, half an hour has flown so quick,
the sense of adventure and the chapters have made it very interesting and enjoyable,
as well as the flashbacks in black and white.

A good chance to see their videos again.
Thanks !
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby BuddyB » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:02 am

I hope this doesn't put me in a bad light, but "Mars One Way," struck me as a bunch of suicidals, especially the man with a family. I understand a dream of fascination, but these folks appear unhappy. Now, the film was excellently shot, edited, and presented. Mars? I don't think in my lifetime.
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:33 pm

"Documentaries" can be objective and neutral, but often the author has a particular message in mind. Buddy, I think you got the message the film maker intended loud and clear. "Mars One Way" can be a teaching moment. Take a close look at how it was made. The music used, the pacing, the types of establishing shots, the way the people were portrayed, and the choice of dialog were all crafted to send a rather forlorn message. With a different approach, these same people could have been presented as positive, upbeat, and adventurous.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:47 pm

With a different approach, these same people could have been presented as positive, upbeat, and adventurous.

And in a historical perspective when that happens it can quickly veer from documentary to propaganda... lol

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

PreviousNext

Return to Water Cooler