They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Pricing Guidelines?

Talk about anything here.

Re: Pricing Guidelines?

Postby ridon127 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:42 pm

You guys are all so talented and your work is truly amazing. Anyone you have done anything for are truly blessed. I would have never thought about an interview. I did thik about a simple questionaire. That is good advice. That is why you are the pros..
Thanks
Donna
Go out and make it a great day. The choice is yours!
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby estherlouise » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:21 pm

momoffduty wrote:I have only been working with PE3 since January and trying to learn as I go. Mostly fun stuff for family. Last month a friend needed a demonstration video, a grad kinesiology major. Thought it would take only a few hours. Started at noon and had the burned DVD by nine. He forgot to tell me he needed it ASAP. A long day under the gun, but it turned out good. Wish I would have had more time to work on it. Had to triple check the Latin titles for each segment. It is a good feeling to know you can help someone out.

I sort of hijacked this thread with the story of how I got into doing this. It was first of all my own 50th anniversary. My kids wanted a slide show but realized that none of them had the expertise to do it. So a week before our 'surprise' :-$ anniversary party they asked me to do my own! I've also done a few shows for friends for anniversaries and birthdays, and was given a nice card and gifts of dinner out and a show.

I know the feeling of being under the gun. I had 3 days for the funeral, and wouldn't you know it? The last day I got an error message burning a DVD that I had never seen before in 2 years of using Premiere 3. After sweating it out for hours I found the solution at the PET site. I still wasn't happy with the results, but when they came for the DVD there was no more time to try other things.

I'll be the first to ask you: What is kinesiology? Maybe I should Google it??
Esther
Premiere Elements 15; Elements 15; Photoshop; Lightroom
Canon 70D
estherlouise
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:41 am

Esther, at least when you did your own 50th anniversary for your 'surprise' party you had editing control! My kids would probably put the most embarrassing photos of me :) , more of a roast.

The kinesiology is the study of movement. His job field would be a personal trainer for a pro or corporation. Before I met him I didn't know you could get a masters degree in that field. When we did the project, I thought it would take an hour to shoot and then I could edit at my own speed. It took 3 hours to shoot, had to change location, check the lighting & sound, set the shot up and of course several takes. A few hours of putting it together and the title pages took the longest with all of the info. It was interesting and I liked the kick boxing demo portion. I did not mind doing this at all. And it helped me practice my skills, which the filming part I lack big time.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Clayton » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:35 am

Esther, I understand how difficult that is when it is a family member. Last Nov. 9, my 32 year old son took his life. Since I was the only one with any knowledge of video or slideshows, I pulled about 25 pix quickly and threw together a slideshow for the viewing/funeral. It was very well received. Afterward my wife and I decided we need to do a large slideshow of his life for family and his children. We have about 30 photo albums with thousands of pix. Sad to say I have not been able to open one of them to start the scanning process even though it is my top priority. So all my video editing has come to a halt until that is done. This has been a year of firsts (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Birthdays, etc.). Now that it is almost come full cycle I hope to crank up again and do him justice.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby estherlouise » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:31 pm

momoffduty wrote:Esther, at least when you did your own 50th anniversary for your 'surprise' party you had editing control! My kids would probably put the most embarrassing photos of me :) , more of a roast.

I did the slideshow in PowerPoint and focused on kids and travels, etc., but did not have the microphone! The oldest son got in a few jabs amongst all the heartfelt messages. :roll:

I had been putting together PrintShop scrapbook pages, therefore all the scanning was done and a layout established and journaling done. I just had to transfer it into PowerPoint with added animation and music. The limitations of PowerPoint inspired me to go to Elements and so forth.

You've been on the production side of this business with doing the videos as well as processing them. No wonder you've felt the pressure! I am doing family videos with my digital camera and putting them together with stills, etc., but not for clients.

I got your PM and will be looking at your other productions later today. Keep up the good work!
Esther
Premiere Elements 15; Elements 15; Photoshop; Lightroom
Canon 70D
estherlouise
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:50 pm

Clayton, so sorry for your loss.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby ridon127 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:10 pm

Clayton,

I am so sorry about your son. I know you had mention before about your son but I didn't realize how recent it was. Please know we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
Donna
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Kerrie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:46 pm

Clayton, I am also very sorry about the loss of your son, I could not imagine. I know when the time is right, putting a video together of your son will be such a wonderful gift for his children and all of your family! I just remember after losing my Grandpa, that my grandma told me how hard the first year would be, the first Thanksgiving, Christmans, Birthday, like you said. I know losing a grandpa is nothing like a son, but now I just have such wonderful memories. Someday, I am going to make a video too of his life, so my children who never knew him can get to know this wonderful man.

Kerrie
Kerrie

Dell Vostro Laptop; 2.2 GHz, core 2 duo, 2 gig ram, 2x160 gig 7200 rpm HDs
Kerrie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ridon127 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:40 pm

I have just about decided to do a video for a silent auction we are going to have to benefit where I work. I was thinking that I would offer a slideshow of up to 150 pictures, 2-3 songs, transitions, a few motion backgrounds and some special effects. It has to be priced at fair market value, so do you think about $300 would a fair price? The bidding usually starts about half of fair market value. If you have a better option, I am open to suggestions.
Thank you for your help
Donna
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby flyrobynfly » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:30 pm

When I was searching for what to charge potential clients, I had done loads of research on the internet. I found some people were charging very high prices for IMHO average work. I saw people charging for every little detail which I find might be a deterrent for some potential clients and some people were doing great work for dirt cheap.

I was overwhelmed, I didn't want to do the work for nothing, I've done my share of freebies for many people but I want to make money after all doing something I love. So after after more research, I thought about what I believe a montage job should automatically include; so I include standard scanning, cropping, photo touch up, transitions etc.. I offer 5 levels or pricing and I decided that my time and work were worth a certain amount of money and I don't want to accept any less. I figured when I'm shopping for a service and someone is offering me something inexpensive and someone else is offering me something a little more expensive I look at what the difference is in their quality of work. I believe I do excellent montages and they are worth my pricing. I've gotten clients with my pricing which I feel is fair, also to attract more customers, I offer a discount and some freebies every month.
"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions." – Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
flyrobynfly

Postby momoffduty » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:21 am

flyrobynfly, you have offered some excellent advice. I have researched to get slideshow/montage ideas. There is a big spectrum of services. Some offer packages and others are a long list of ala carte that would add up fast. What are some 'must haves' to get started in the business? I am guessing a scanner, after effects, wacom, etc? Would love to see your work, care to post anything? I enjoy making things for family and friends and would love some ideas. Thanks.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby flyrobynfly » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:12 am

Cheryl,

My work is all in PSG format so I will convert it so that I can show some of it here in the Gallery.

I have a scanner, Photoshop CS2, PSG, Roxio and of course Windows Movie Maker. I am always scanning the internet for backgrounds, free stock photos, free motion backgrounds anything to compliment my work. I originally started with Windows Movie Maker which was trying since it crashed all the time. I don't have any of the softwares that you mentioned (yet!) but my work turns out nice and professional. I have checked out Photodex' Sharing Section and seen some wonderful montages there done both with PSP and PSG, I do a lot of "market research" and work from my gut. I think I must be doing well when it makes me want to cry or if I actually cry.

I'm expecting an early Christmas gift from a friend which is a MAC with Final Cut. I'm sure that will also enhance my montage presentations but I really think I'm doing nice work. I just want to do more, give the client more then he expects and he will come back and/or refer someone to me, that's my motto.
"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions." – Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
flyrobynfly

Postby Clayton » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:52 am

Robyn, do you have any of your work posted on the pro show enthusiasts site? If so under what name? :-D
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby flyrobynfly » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:19 am

Clayton, this is the first time I hear of the site. I'll look it up and register, once approved I'll download some copies of my work. Suddenly I've gotten bashful :oops:
flyrobynfly

Postby Clayton » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:35 am

If you are into ProShow Gold or Producer, you will find anything you want to know about it there.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

PreviousNext

Return to Water Cooler