They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

High Quality, Vimeo vs YouTube

Talk about anything here.

High Quality, Vimeo vs YouTube

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:00 pm

I've been trying to decide between Vimeo and YouTube. My recent upload to both formats is not a fair comparison because Vimeo says they have downgraded my 1080p footage to 720 because I do not have a paid subscription. (That said, I'm having a hard time telling the difference. Vimeo might look a little lighter. YouTube looks a little sharper, I think.)

But this comparison shows the difference in the same video and both are available in 1080HD because the creator has a paid Vimeo account. In the Vimeo version I see that super quality, crisp and clear video that I see in Mom's Vimeo videos.

I'd definitely go with Vimeo if they only offered closed captions/subtitles.

Anyway, here is a fair comparison. My highest definition videos on YouTube suffer from exactly the same blurriness as the YouTube footage version shown here:

https://vimeo.com/71797971
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: High Quality, Vimeo vs YouTube

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:37 pm

I've always been happier with the results on Vimeo. I've always assumed it's because, since they don't deal with the same volume as YouTube, they can keep the videos at a higher quality.

But that could just be my imagination. I've never done a side by side comparison of the same video on both sites.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:46 pm

Here's a side by side of a portion of a frame from vimeo and youtube. Couldn't get an exact frame match, but it should be close enough. I displayed full screen on my 1920x1080 monitor and took a screen capture of each. Vimeo does look a little sharper.

vimeoVSyoutupe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:08 pm

Interesting comparison Bob. Personally, I'd call that significantly sharper.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Great experiment, Bob! It does look like Vimeo wins -- by a nose.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:08 pm

Significantly sharper, Bob! What a smart way to compare.

Compare the text in the lower of the lighter, greenish panels and the faces outside the panels on the left. Definitely clearer.

I've just gone through both and stopped at various locations and noticed that unmoving background areas - which of course, are not moving - are sharper in Vimeo.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:30 pm

Thanks Bob, that is really helpful and I think the video quality difference is significant.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:05 am

I like Vimeo better regardless of quality. I like the Vimeo site better and the way it is run. For me, I do a lot of video but 90% is private for specific people so I like the privacy options. I also really hate that Youtube is always putting commercials in my videos. With that said I think that Youtube is better known and more folks have heard of Youtube.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:18 am

sidd finch wrote:I like Vimeo better regardless of quality. I like the Vimeo site better and the way it is run. For me, I do a lot of video but 90% is private for specific people so I like the privacy options. I also really hate that Youtube is always putting commercials in my videos. With that said I think that Youtube is better known and more folks have heard of Youtube.

Very much the way that I've been using Vimeo so far myself, and I feel pretty much as you. It does bother me when I know that the quality is better than what people are seeing, so having Vimeo just for that is worth it to me.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Return to Water Cooler