They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

National Geographic photographer and the iPhone 5s

Talk about anything here.

National Geographic photographer and the iPhone 5s

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:26 am

Not too long ago I believe we had a discussion on the advancements that phone cameras have made, and the circumstances under which we might just leave the "good" camera at home for the convenience of a phone camera. On a recent trip to the Scottish highlands Nat Geo photographer Jim Richardson took over 4000 photos using an iPhone 5s. He outlines his experience and posts some pictures here:

http://proof.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... iphone-5s/

With intense use (I’ve made about 4,000 pictures in the last four days) I’ve discovered that the iPhone 5S is a very capable camera. The color and exposures are amazingly good, the HDR exposure feature does a stunningly good job in touch situations, the panorama feature is nothing short of amazing—seeing a panorama sweeping across the screen in real time is just intoxicating. Best of all it shoots square pictures natively, a real plus for me since I wanted to shoot for Instagram posting.

What surprised me most was that the pictures did not look like compromises. They didn’t look like I was having to settle for second best because it was a mobile phone. They just looked good. Nothing visually profound is being produced here, I would have to say. But it feels good, and I even noticed some of the folks on our tour putting big digital cameras aside once in a while and pulling out their cell phones when they just wanted to make a nice picture.

No, it's not replacing the high end DSLR, but the lines continue to blur.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: National Geographic photographer and the iPhone 5s

Postby momoffduty » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Back in May the Chicago SunTimes layed off all of their photographers. They are are going with freelance photgraphers and expect their reporters to take photos with their cell phones.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... tographers
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:38 pm

Hmmm...not so much to do with how wonderful phone cameras have become, but rather what a sorry state the printed newspaper business has fallen into - the flailing last throws of a dying paper. Our local paper was bought out about a year ago and of course nearly immediately the austerity measures began kicking in. It's our only local paper and I have serious concerns about its future.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:40 pm

In the future, I can imagine being in a museum and hearing a young voice say, "You mean they could only take photographs with that?"
Peru

Return to Water Cooler