They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Kindle Fire

Talk about anything here.

Kindle Fire

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:49 pm

Anyone have a Kindle Fire?

Now that the Kindle HDX is out, the Kindle HD that was $200, with re-charger is down to $139.

Do they have an OS?

Is it possible to load programs? Specifically Photoshop?

If not Photoshop, is there a way to see one's own images?

Any idea if the Kindle Fire can be color calibrated?

Do they have something, say like a picture frame back, so they can stand alone?

Or are they only for reading online books?

thanks,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Kindle Fire

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:21 pm

My daughter loves her Kindle Fire! I think they're pretty terrific too.

But it's not a computer. It's a tablet that can run apps designed for it. You can't load a program like Photoshop or Premiere onto it and expect to edit photos and video. Although I think there is a Photoshop Lite app, I think, for it.

It uses Google Android as its operating system -- which pretty much runs the apps and allows you to go online to surf the Web and check e-mail.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:34 pm

I don't really need to edit photos on it, I'd just like to be able to view my own, already edited photos. Is that possible?

As my eyesight ages, I find that painting from photos isn't as easy as zooming in to see details on my computer screen. But my laptop is big and takes up too much of the desk. I'm afraid I'm going to bump into it and knock it on the floor.

If a high def Kindle would work, it might save $$ instead of making prints too. Of course, good color would be mandatory.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:44 pm

The Kindle OS is a variant of Android called FireOS. Amazon has it's own app store for obtaining apps -- some are free others are not. I don't know how compatible the Kindle Fire is with other vendor's android apps. It comes with a photo viewing app, but, you can buy Photoshop Touch for $10 if you want to do some editing. There are other photo editing apps available also. The color display is not calibrated and color management is not built in. Datacolor sells a SpyderGallery app which can use the Spyder calibration tool to calibrate the panel and use the correction to view color corrected photos from within the app. It doesn't calibrate outside the app though. Other companies may possibly sell something similar, but I haven't really researched this.

I was considering getting a Kindle Fire HD, but I decided on the Galaxy Tab 3 instead. The deal breaker for me was that I wanted to be able to use Skype video and that requires a camera, the Kindle did not have one. The Galaxy Tab 3 did.

I haven't seen a picture frame type stand, but you can buy a case/cover that folds to form a stand. Go to Amazon and search for "kindle fire cover".
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:03 am

Bob wrote:I was considering getting a Kindle Fire HD, but I decided on the Galaxy Tab 3 instead. The deal breaker for me was that I wanted to be able to use Skype video and that requires a camera, the Kindle did not have one. The Galaxy Tab 3 did.

The front-facing camera with built-in Skype is one reason I chose the Kindle Fire 8.9HD before the HDXs became available.

BTW, I've watched a number of movies that come for free with my Prime membership, using only the built-in WiFi. I particularly enjoyed Casablanca; however, I must say that although others rave about the sound with the built-in speakers, I needed to use earpieces for good quality.

Bob wrote:I haven't seen a picture frame type stand, but you can buy a case/cover that folds to form a stand. Go to Amazon and search for "kindle fire cover".

It took a long time to find a stand that would allow me to use the device in both landscape and portrait views. All that I saw were only for Landscape, which is not how I like to read eBooks, and they were all $50 and up. But then I stumbled upon the below Bluetooth KB/simple stand combo for $29, which is working out nicely.

Kindle stand with KB.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:13 am

You're correct, the 8.9" does have a forward facing camera. I was looking for a 7" tablet and the Kindle HD 7 didn't have the camera. The new HDX 7" does have a forward facing camera but that model hasn't been released yet. The HDX 8.9 has a forward and rear facing camera like my Galaxy Tab 3 7" does.

I tried out the different sizes in the store before I decided on a size and found the 7" had the portability I was looking for and was big enough to be a decent e-reader. The larger sizes were a bit more bulky than I wanted. If I were to get a second tablet primarily for home use, I would definitely consider the 8.9" HDX. I also like the Galaxy 10.1", but the 7" is working out well for now.

Headphones or earpieces are a must if you want decent sound.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:59 am

Thank you all for your replies.

It comes with a photo viewing app, but, you can buy Photoshop Touch for $10 if you want to do some editing. There are other photo editing apps available also. The color display is not calibrated and color management is not built in. Datacolor sells a SpyderGallery app which can use the Spyder calibration tool to calibrate the panel and use the correction to view color corrected photos from within the app. It doesn't calibrate outside the app though.

Ah. I had a Spyder 3 and gave it away. I'll do some looking around to see if I can find an app that will work with the i1 Display.

All I need it to do is hold an image with correct color and be able to zoom in and out of the image.

Lightweight ability to read books would be a bonus! No need for a webcam for me.

thanks again,

Paz
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler