They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Home TV, stereo connections ???

Talk about anything here.

Home TV, stereo connections ???

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:55 pm

I'd like to get better sound from my TV, cable box, and DVD-BluRay player setup. These components are all connected to one another with HDMI cables, which if I remember correctly, carries sound.

I'd like to use an older receiver I already own that does not have HDMI cable capacity. A while back I donated every stereo speaker in this house to Goodwill. None of them were fabulous, but they did work. Now I realize I'll have to buy speakers to even find out if my receiver still works. It lights up, you can change channels, appears to be okay, it's just been unplugged for a decade or so. I'm sure I have component cables and plenty of RCA cables, speaker wire, etc. in the electronics - computer stuff - junk wires box.

The receiver is a Harmon Kardon AVR 20II

http://www.harmankardon.com/resources/B ... i%20om.pdf

Almost anything would be an improvement, sound-wise over the TV's built in speakers. What I'm afraid of is that I might have to give up picture quality. I don't remember if it is possible to connect for images via HDMI to get the best picture while routing audio by a different route. What I want is best picture, best sound... and hope I don't have to buy a new receiver to do so.

I realize this may seem like a dumb question, but I've thought about it for days and I simply cannot remember. I used to know a lot of things I don't know now. Chemo brain is disputed, but I can vouch that it is real. I was never so shocked as when I sat down to do a minor repair with my sewing machine and realized I didn't know how to thread it, or how to re-route the thread to load a bobbin. I began sewing my own clothes when I was nine. I've made dresses, blouses, jackets, mens' shirts, my own blue jeans, swim suits, lingerie, quilts, curtains, upholstered sofas, chairs, leather pocket books and more... worn out one sewing machine that I bought new. And I just sat there and looked at the thing. Eventually I had to get out the manual. It was just all gone.

thanks,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Home TV, stereo connections ???

Postby Peru » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:13 pm

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-VGA-Cabl ... B002ZUI68G

or more here:

http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/rca+to+ ... erter.html

Another option might be to use a sound bar like one of these:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Home-Theate ... cat0205007

I had a pair of amplified computer speakers that I connected to the headphone output of my TV and got surprisingly good sound.
Peru

Postby Bob » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:34 pm

If your TV has an audio out connection, you can connect that to the audio input of your receiver/amplifier. Some TVs have a menu option to enable/disable audio output and/or the TV speakers.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Thanks, guys!

I do have audio outs on my TV, both digital audio and RCA stereo, which will be right for my non digital receiver. I can't believe I missed something this simple! At one time I would have known. I worked out the electrical wiring plan for this house, including all 220 circuits and two way and three way switches, setting up the service entrance panel. I doubt I could figure it out now. I try to keep in mind that I'm lucky to still be here, but I admit, I do get aggravated sometimes... at least my memory of words has improved. For a long time I would know a particular, single, perfect word existed to say what I wanted to say but I had no idea what it would be.

The speakers I chose are no longer on sale. I think I'll wait for them to come back around. Overnight they increased by a significant amount.

It will be interesting to see if using audio out on the TV will mean the TV speakers won't work if the receiver is not turned on or if both the TV speakers and external speakers will work at the same time. Either way, the current, single remote that controls both the cable box and the TV's volume should work, thank goodness. Finding the remote when commercials come on can be paramount!
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:47 pm

The speakers went back on sale. In fact, I bought larger ones for about $20 less. Best of all...

I connected them to the audio out on the TV and Mr. B, who loves to watch golf, HEARD THE BALL ROLL AROUND IN THE CUP, probably for the first time in 20 or 30 years!

He was so excited. That first night we watched a BluRay movie and he could hear the surf as a couple walked along a beach. He's thrilled. He can hear lower notes, but even with better speakers, not high ones. The TV speakers don't have nearly the range and depth as the new speakers though, so it's like a new world for him.

That's the good news.

Unfortunately, even though this is audio out from the TV, the TV's remote control doesn't control volume or mute. I found an ancient remote that works mute only for the receiver, so we can put up with it. At least if you're watching/hearing TV through the speakers and a commercial comes on it's possible to shut it up before being blasted out of the room. (Yes, he keeps it loud.)

The other problem... he loves to listen to the radio... but the receiver won't pick up any AM stations. We've connected the antenna in on the receiver to a TV antenna that we used to use before cable, that lives in the attic. No go. So Mr. B did some looking online and built a home made AM antenna. No good either.

He's been able to listen to the radio over his laptop. I tried connecting his laptop via VGA and the picture came up on the TV screen, but no audio. His laptop doesn't have HDMI out. It does have S Video, but I've learned that doesn't carry audio either. :-({|=

So... does anyone have a ROKU 3? Or any other internet streaming device? Do they work? Like it? Does it have radio???

thanks,

Paz
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:34 am

I have the Roku 2 XS, which is the predecessor to the Roku 3 and very similar. I connect to the HDTV via hdmi and the Internet through my wireless access point. It also has an Ethernet connector and usb, but I don't use those. If you have a smartphone, there is a Roku app which will let you control it from there or you can use the Roku remote. It works very well. There are some radio channels that you can access through it, iHeartRadio is good and one that can play live broadcasts from some local stations as well.

My cable box remote is a universal type and can control my audio receiver as well as the tv, cable, and dvd player. Your cable remote doesn't have that capability?
Bob

Postby BuddyB » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:58 am

As far as the mute goes there should be a mute button on the cable remote. Who do you have for cable? And depending on the input connections you have (composite, component, HDMI, etc.) you should be able to swap boxes with the right stuff on it, matching what you have on the Tv.
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby _Paz_ » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Thanks, guys.

We have Charter cable. We do have a Charter universal remote. I called tech help and went through every code they had for the HK receiver and one of their codes actually worked volume up and down and mute... but as soon as you click back to TV and/or cable to get the remote to be able to open the channel guide on cable, for instance, then when you go back to AUX for the receiver, it has 'lost' the code information and has to be re-programmed all over again. Takes too long and Mr. B doesn't have the patience for that kind of thing anyway. :angryfire:

I also picked up the cheapest universal remote at Radio Shack and went through all the codes. None worked. Radio Shack had much more expensive ones but I don't know that they are any more likely to have a code that is so old.

I've been continuing to study Roku. Apparently it is for downloading content from the internet to view/listen on a TV monitor only. I'd LOVE to stop paying for cable TV content. There is so little we watch. On the other hand, I love the DVR that belongs to the cable company. Especially instant reply.

Anyone have a Tivo? Like it? Is there anything better?

We do already have a dual band high speed ethernet router. That should simplify setup. No wires to run anyway.

Paz
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby BuddyB » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:47 am

Hey Paz, if you quit cable you'll put guys like me out of business..sniff. :) These remotes only do one thing at a time, unfortunately; and it doesn't surprise me that you lose the coding when you press out of that mode. BTW, Radio Shack is one of the most expensive places to shop. I worked there(no longer), and I've wondered for a long time how they stay in business. When I was looking for Firewire they wanted almost $35. I bought one on Amazon for $13 and change, including shipping. BTW, actually I should be put out of business. I just wasn't a smart young man, so I can't retire just yet. The only thing I can think of is Googling your unit with the word "remote" in it..maybe yes maybe not.
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:38 pm

Hey Paz, if you quit cable you'll put guys like me out of business..sniff. :)

Oh, I see! It's your fault my cable bill went up by $50 per month! With fewer channels. Or that is, a few that used to work that now work intermittently.

:no: Actually, my special deal contract expired when I wasn't looking. Still. Well... if it's your bread and butter, that does make it a little more appetizing, Buddy!

I just wasn't a smart young man, so I can't retire just yet.

I wasn't smart when I was young either. I was idealistic, romantic. I loved it that the work I did made people so happy. That I never cheated anybody.

:conf: hmmm.....

Ya know, it might be hard to be smarter than that! :fg: Besides, I enjoyed my work. Bet you did/do too! I have to tell you, I was thrilled when the cable company decided to come this far out in the boonies. Our antenna in the attic never pulled in a clear signal. And while I could easily do without TV, having cable internet is necessary to sustain life... as we know and love it!

No doubt streaming will require a faster internet connection even if we give up TV ... there's more money for your jam and jelly!

The only thing I can think of is Googling your unit with the word "remote" in it..maybe yes maybe not.

I've done that and tried all those codes already. As for Radio Shack, I'm glad they're local and I'd rather go in there than fight the crowd and walk ten miles through Walmart, which is pretty much next door to Radio Shack.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:20 pm

Are these available in the US?

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/harmony-remotes

I have two different models of the Harmony remotes. The higher spec one was to replace four individual remotes (TV, BluRay player, ONKYO receiver, Humax video recorder). Easy to program online by connecting to the Logitech website.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:09 pm

John,

I just checked and yes, they are. At those prices though, I think I'll take one step to turn my receiver on and off... not gonna kill me!
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby BuddyB » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:38 pm

Oh, I see! It's your fault my cable bill went up by $50 per month! With fewer channels.

Paz aren't we the clever ones? :hyst: I get a lot of calls like that, and some of the folks are not too pretty happy..grr. Fortunately for me I'm in Video repair and I can send them to billing. I used to do High Speed Internet, but Comcast has really gone national. All of us in Nashville are either sales or repair, Internet has gone to Knoxville and billing is in Memphis. Dispatch that controls field techs in our general area is in Chattanooga. It's an ever changing world, and one of these days with bandwidth improvement I believe, and I'm not alone, that tv will be all Internet. You've got Netflix, Hulu and others dishing out streaming product, so I feel it's inevitable. My job, high pressure that it is, is more fun than retail, kind of like being on the radio again, but you really are, this time, talking to one person at a time. Comcast has great benefits, and if it weren't for them (actually The Lord) I wouldn't be typing this speeeeeeeeeeeellllll.....
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler