They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Family Website

Talk about anything here.

Family Website

Postby SWard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi guys. I haven’t been here for awhile – I had some medical issues this winter that prevented me from sitting at a computer for any length of time. Let me tell you, shingles is NOT fun!!!! But I’ve got the video editing bug again so hopefully I can actually finish some projects that have been waiting for me.

I was at a family reunion earlier this month (my great-great grandparents descendants) and somehow I volunteered (or was volunteered) to do a few things. I had already volunteered to videotape that weekend so I knew I’d be putting together something from that – either DVD or on the internet.

I also volunteered to put a photo/history book together of the entire family. I’ve done books like this before (in PSE) and enjoy doing them, but the problem will be getting pictures from everyone. I have pictures of my great-grandparents and their kids, but nothing of his siblings and their descendants. I’m also a little worried about printing them – not sure how many copies will be wanted. I might have to figure out something there.

A cookbook was also requested of all the old recipes. My relatives were Germans who lived in Russia so the recipes are kind of a combination of both cultures. My mom helped her church with a book recently so she’s checking into the company they used, but she quickly looked at me and told me I was helping her. Luckily, one of my sisters has already started looking into it so I might get out of this one.

The reason I’m writing this, is that I volunteered to get a family website going. I had no clue how to start this, but I’ve looked into it a little and gotten to play and had some fun. A friend of mine uses the MyGreatBigFamily.com site (they have a demo site to check it out) where it’s already built for exactly what we want and we would just need to add the content – pictures, genealogy info, etc.

I was also told of Weebly.com which is what I’ve been playing with. Weebly gives you the tools to build your own site with unlimited pages. I created a site for my family using the free version and I think we’ll probably go this route, but pay for the Pro version so that we’ll be able to secure it and add video (you can’t do those things with the free version).

I’m just wondering if anyone else on muvipix has done something similar and what you used.

Thanks,
Sue
Dell XPS 600; PentiumD Processor 930 w/ Dual Core (3.0 GHz,800 FSB); 2Gb RAM; 256Mb Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX Video; 500Gb Performance RAID 0; 250Gb Serial ATA HD (Internal); 500Gb WD External; 1TB WD External; XP Media Center 2005 Ed SP2
SWard
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Family Website

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:16 am

There really are no bad choices out there, Sue. The process of building a web site can be as automatic or as hands-on as you want it to be. In your case, I might go with one of the templates, like MyGreatBigFamily.com.

Anyway and regardless, it's great to hear from you again! Shingles is no fun. (Been there myself. It's like having poison ivy INSIDE your skin!) But it's great to know you're back on your feet.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:42 am

Hi Sue! Good see you post! The family cookbook is a great idea. Sounds like you have a lot of work cut out for you. My cousin created a simple webpage with the family tree. It ran into some snags because there are baby daddies and husbands and got confusing very fast. Oh, the younger generation. Your photo book is a great idea, but thinking of the cost. Some of my extended family can not afford a book.

I spent over 6 months on an extensive family history project. This is what I did and may give you some ideas.

This project was presented to the relatives at my Aunt & Uncle's 50th anniversary. They hosted all the previous reunions and my Aunt is the official genealogist and keeper of photos/videos. She was thrilled with the project and helped me by proofing the work in progress.

A 2 disc set:

30 minute slideshow
Edited family tapes
2 highlight music videos from 2 of the reunions (1981 & 1992)

Photo CD
About 350 photos
Word Doc corresponding to the photo numbers. Some had a little back-story and all had the people's names. My Aunt is a fount of knowledge so adding the little tidbits was interesting. Since the project was based on my Grandparents Art & Luella, the photo info had what relationship to them. For example: Eleanor with first husband Ted, sister of Art. Once we added descriptions on a photo of them then the later ones we didn't add the relationship, but only their name. The photos were not in chronological order because I was getting them from many sources and scanning at different times. The slideshow was in chronological order with lots of titles. When we could we added the person's maiden name, date, and sometimes the location. Another example: Art with Richard and first car, Studebaker and the date.

There were about 8 VHS tapes that I transferred to disc unedited. Only a few people wanted those. The edited portions were on the 2 disc set.

A 50th Anniversary Certificate framed with a little message from the family. I had a specialty parchment type paper for the back that was used for signatures. That paper was not on the frame and added later.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby BuddyB » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Sue, I know the Shingles routine. It may be unbelievable, but I had it when I was seven going to a military school. At that time in history, being a living relic, they rushed me to the doctor. I had to get shots twice a week for several weeks because they thought I could die. Of course the rumors of my possible demise were greatly exaggerated, and we've learned a few things since then..I think. :) Go Daddy also has a setup you might find easy. My wife uses them. I do my stuff in XaraX, a drawing, photo and webbuilding app. I used to do coding about 4 or 5 years ago, but got away from it, and I've become a bit lazy over the years.
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby SWard » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:48 am

Thanks for the replies guys. We decided to go with weebly for a year and see how it goes. I'm having fun with it, but there are some limitations - or maybe it's the operator's limitations since I'm still figuring things out. I think it will be fine for what we want though.

Thanks for the details Mom. I totally understand all the work you must have done. When people see the end result, they have no clue how many hours it takes and all of the little decisions that are needed.

BuddyB, I can't even imagine shingles at 7! Wow. And shots too, yuck. I'll check out the sites you mentioned. I've seen commercials for GoDaddy, but I've gotta admit, they turn me off so I've never checked them out. I'll check them out one of these days.

Sue
Dell XPS 600; PentiumD Processor 930 w/ Dual Core (3.0 GHz,800 FSB); 2Gb RAM; 256Mb Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX Video; 500Gb Performance RAID 0; 250Gb Serial ATA HD (Internal); 500Gb WD External; 1TB WD External; XP Media Center 2005 Ed SP2
SWard
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler