They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Asset Management

Talk about anything here.

Asset Management

Postby mark hansen » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Can anyone provide some insight into asset management software? I've been reading up on it and discovered there are two systems Browser and Database. I use bridge (browser type) and although it seems to work OK most of the time, anytime I need to search across directories, it's slow, sometimes painfully slow. I have my pictures on an external drive on another system on the network I know that can add to the slowness. Getting the connection up to 1GB between PCs helped a lot and the search operation on the host computer (where the HD are connected) and my PC (networked to the host) is about the same, so I can't attribute all the delay to the network...

So, I figure it's because of Bridge and it's a browser based system.

Would Light room or other database software be faster to search across folders?

Some of you may remember I take LOTS of photos. I keep them in folders by year, then month, then shooting date. I started batch rename the photos with YYMMDD-{camera file name}.

When I need to search for photos and short AVI clips tagged as "Dylan" for the year, it takes a long time.

Would Light room do that faster?

(a BIG question)--- Will light room automatically build the database if I tell it to look at the digital photos (the main folder with all the subfolders).

If I get Light room, would I need Bridge?

Are any other software packages about $100 that would help with these? I use CS3 and love the way bridge allows me drag and drop photos and clips into projects, does Lightroom do that.

I seem to remember something about once a database type Asset Management system is in place, any changes, deletions, etc, MUST be done through light room so the database it kept up to date. Any downside to this if that true?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Water Cooler