They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Combinihg Scrapbooking and video slideshows.

Talk about anything here.

Combinihg Scrapbooking and video slideshows.

Postby mark hansen » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:05 pm

I made a video for my grandson from birth to 18 months. It came out like I wanted it. basically it was like a scrapbook with scrap booking elements around the page, some moving some still (I made smoke come out of a scrap book toy train as it moved across the screen until the page turn.)

then I got the idea to take the pages and make a "real" scrap book for the parents.

when I printed the page I noticed the aspect ratio seemed to make the pages compressed left to right. Most of the pages of the slide show started out in CS3 PS. I used a wide screen 720 X 480 72 dpi setting on the PS pages. that sized worked in when I brought the pages in the video. But not for printing.

I noticed there are a few DV wide settings. some with D1 some with out.... some square pixels and one with 1.2.

My guess I mixed up the video wide screen settings. either one was a D1 and one with out... or one may be it was square pixels and maybe one was 1.2.

On my next project (another video of another grandson and then for ALL the grand kids) . I want to use a wide screen video format and then take the PS pages and print them and bind up a book. Of course I want to keep the correct aspect ratio to the printed page, even though it will make the printed page smaller.

Any suggestions of video settings and PS settings?

I'll be trying the work flows suggestions previously provided and edit them in AE to get some cool effects with the elements and sync up to music.

Thanks,
Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Combinihg Scrapbooking and video slideshows.

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:55 pm

Hi Mark,

Yes, the pixel aspect ratio correction only affects how the image is displayed on your monitor not how it is printed. For NTSC standard definition video, 16:9 wide screen (1.2 PAR) will print narrower and 4:3 full screen (0.9 PAR) will print wider.

There is actually a fairly easy way to convert the rectangular pixel image to an equivalent square pixel image so it can be printed correctly.

1) Create a new document with square pixels that you will use to print the page. The height of the new documents should be at least the pixel height of the original page and the width of the new document should be at least the pixel height of the original page times the frame aspect ratio. For example, a 780 x 480 wide screen page would become 853 x 480 pixels -- i.e. 480 pixels x (16/9) equals 853 pixels (rounded). If you want a larger sized page, no problem.

2) Open the page you want to print and tile the images so you can see both documents on the screen. With the page with the rectangular pixel aspect ratio selected, drag the layer(s) from the layers palette and, with the shift key pressed, drop them on the document with the square pixels. The copy operation will automatically resample the image to convert the rectangular pixel image to the equivalent square pixel image without distortion. The shift key will center the copied layers in the new document. You can now print the document.

Keep in mind for the next project that, if you like, you can create the pages in Photoshop with square pixels and Premiere will automatically convert to rectangular pixels when you import them into your project.
Bob

Postby mark hansen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:46 am

Thanks for the tip Bob, it works great! so well and so easy it looks like I'll be making another book printed correctly.

I like to keep my project folders pre made up with Pages file, PPro project and AE project files with all the settings already created. That way the project and comps already hav the bins ready to accept assets.

It looks like I should rebuild the project files to have the settings to match the three programs.

If I understood you correctly,

the PPro settings should be widescreen 48khz preset with 720 X 480 (1.200) frame size. The pixel aspect ratio :D1/DV NTSC widescreen 16:9 (1.2)

The PS Pages should be NTSC D1 Wide Screen Square Pixel (864 X 486 - 72 dpi). This will not have any affect until I print them, which is where the advantage will be.

In AE, Should I save the blank project with a Comp set to widescreen with the aspect ration set to square pixels or D/DV NTSC WS (1.2)?

Thanks for your advice Bob

Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:02 am

Creating Digital Scrapbooks is great too, there are lots of sites to get cool stuff that can be even be used in a video project too :)
viewtopic.php?p=31853#p31853

http://digitalscrapper.com/

I know this isn't directly related to your topic Mark but in case you hadn't thought of it digital scrapbooks are great. You can also print out the digital artwork and use it in a real scrapbook, lots of resources out there too :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mark hansen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks Chuck. I'm not interested in creating real paper scrap books. I got the idea of mixing the two by starting in the digital world and making digital scrapbooks pages turn in the video by visiting a srapping store. The person running the place suggested making pages and take a photo and put them in the video.

Using a scrapbook format of video pages seems a nice way to use video effects and present the pictures without too much distraction from the pictures. Something my wife and I have discussions about all the time. When I put lots of moving pictures and special effects to make an enteresting video, I get "it takes away from the pictures --- and --- that's the main part". So I end up taking some stuff out.

So, print the pages and provide a book to look at without looking at the DVD is a way to use the same product in two mediums.

I didn't think about the printed pages not coming out correctly until I did it.

My next two planned projects will be in the same format. One got my grandson and one for all of the grandchildren. Hopefully the second one will be done by Christmas.
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:09 pm

If I understood you correctly,

the PPro settings should be widescreen 48khz preset with 720 X 480 (1.200) frame size. The pixel aspect ratio :D1/DV NTSC widescreen 16:9 (1.2)

The PS Pages should be NTSC D1 Wide Screen Square Pixel (864 X 486 - 72 dpi). This will not have any affect until I print them, which is where the advantage will be.

In AE, Should I save the blank project with a Comp set to widescreen with the aspect ration set to square pixels or D/DV NTSC WS (1.2)?

You got it.

For the Photoshop pages, you can use either NTSC D1 Widescreen square pixel 864 x 486, or NTSC DV Widescreen square pixel 853 x 480. FYI, D1 is used primarilly for broadcast and goes back to the days of analog TV where extra scan lines were required and recording equipment used 486 lines. The six extra lines in D1 will be cropped off when you output the video to DV.

For general use in AE, I'd say go ahead and use the NTSC WS (1.2). FYI, Don't make square pixel images the same dimensions as a standard video frame (e.g. 720 x 480). A quirk of AE is that it will interpret those as having a video pixel aspect ratio. It's easy enough to use Interpret Footage and change it back to square, but it can be confusing if you don't realize what's going on.
Bob

Return to Water Cooler