They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

make an icon?

Talk about anything here.

make an icon?

Postby hpharley90 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:51 pm

I did a Google search on how to make an icon and to me it sounded complicated.
Is it really?

I would like to know how it is done. I would like to try and make one or some if possible.
I would like to know how smileys are made too.

Can anyone give any info on this? :)
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: make an icon?

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:42 am

There are a couple of utilities out there:

http://www.icon-maker.com/

http://www.iconedit.com/

If you have photoshop, there is a free plugin that will allow you to create and ICO file.

http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/

I have used the Photoshop plug-in in the past for a simple icon to use on a software project. It worked just fine.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:28 pm

Smileys are simply image files, usually png or gif -- both of which support transparency. Static smileys can be created in any image editor that supports png or gif. To create or edit an animated smiley, you need an editor that supports creation of animated gifs. Image sizes are small and you will need to work with individual pixels to construct your image. If using Photoshop, use the pencil tool. The brush tool is imprecise at 1 pixel sizes and you'll have better control using the pencil.

You can download a few smileys and open them in your editor to get a feel for what they look like.
Bob

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:32 pm

For something a little different, you might like Crayola Animation Studio ($19.95), which allows you to create cursors, icons, gifs, and others. There's a paper properties menu item that lets you select small, medium, or large icon sizes.

Here's a link to the demo: http://www.core-learning.com/pt_res_art.asp
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby hpharley90 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:54 am

Thanks for the links and info everyone. I will check them out this afternoon. :-D

Yes I will open a smiley in Photoshop and see what it looks like.
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby hpharley90 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:32 am

Bob wrote:Image sizes are small and you will need to work with individual pixels to construct your image

Bob thanks. After reading the above line I now understand how the static smiley is made and I assume an animated .gif file is very similar.

I have PhotoShop CS3. My snowman avatar on this page I made as you know an animated .gif.
Would one use the same procedure to animate a static smiley to make an animated one?
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:31 pm

Yes, animated smileys are exactly the same as animated gifs.

Smileys should have a transparent background. If they don't, the background color of the smiley will show as a rectangle against the background of any web page that doesn't match the color of the smiley. That doesn't look good.

If you are opening an existing animated gif, you need to use "File>Import>Video Frames to Layers...". If you use the normal "File>Open" method, you will only get the first frame. In earlier versions of Photoshop than CS3, you would have opened them in ImageReady. The load dialog box for "Video frames to layers" does not show gifs by default. In the file name entry box, type *.* to show all file types or *.gif to show only gifs and press enter to refresh the file list. After you select a file, the next dialog box will let you select the range -- you want "beginning to end". Make sure the "Make Frame Animation" box is checked. After you click OK, the animated gif frames will be loaded into the Animation Palette where you can work on them.

Animated gifs are saved using "Save for Web". Set the file type to gif, enable transparency, and set the animation looping options.

A few tips:

Photoshop CS4 and CS5 have 64-bit versions. Import>Video Frames to Layers..." is only available in the 32-bit version. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are installed by default if you have a 64-bit OS.

Transparency is not handled correctly importing an existing animated gif in CS3 and CS4. I don't remember whether CS3 and CS4 had exactly the same problem, but I remember that transparent areas were not transparent and I had to manually go back and correct that. CS5 fixed that and transparency is honored. I'd recommend saving the animation as both a PSD to enable future modifications and as an animated gif.
Bob

Postby hpharley90 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Bob wrote:f you are opening an existing animated gif, you need to use "File>Import>Video Frames to Layers...". If you use the normal "File>Open" method, you will only get the first frame.

I was wondering what was going on there being I used the "File>open" method.
Thanks again

Bob wrote:A few tips:
Much appreciated.
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby hpharley90 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:49 pm

Bob wrote: The load dialog box for "Video frames to layers" does not show gifs by default. In the file name entry box, type *.* to show all file types or *.gif to show only gifs and press enter to refresh the file list. After you select a file, the next dialog box will let you select the range -- you want "beginning to end". Make sure the "Make Frame Animation" box is checked. After you click OK, the animated gif frames will be loaded into the Animation Palette where you can work on them.

I followed your instructions(which were very clear)and it worked just like you said.
I would never had figured that out.
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler