They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Roll Call - January 2012

Talk about anything here.

Roll Call - January 2012

Postby Cinde » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:02 am

:wvy: Hello old friends :welc: new friends!

It's been awhile since we've had a roll call. Old members know what to do, new members will catch on very quickly.

1. Did you make New Year's resolutions? Have you kept them?

2. What has everyone been up to since our last roll call? good news? sad news? things to brag about?

3. What are you doing with videos now?
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Roll Call - January 2012

Postby Cinde » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:05 am

1. New Year's resolution... to quit smoking... working on it... cut back by about 1/2.

2. Good news... I got married!

3. Videos of honeymoon and vacations since honeymoon.

Your turn... answer one, or all, or come up with your own topic...
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:31 pm

1) I don't make New Year's resolutions any more. Once in a while I will resolve to get a few things done in a particular week. It works better this way for me.

2) My father-in-law celebrated his 91st birthday at the end of December. If not for his heart condition, he probably could still beat me in an arm wrestle. Well, he probably would win anyway, but I won't try.

3) I'm gathering years of photos of my 15 year old daughter in preparation for learning to do a morphing video for her Sweet 16 birthday.
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Been a strange year for me. In the past 12 months, Mrs. G and I have lost four beloved aunts, one wonderful uncle and Mrs. G's dad. And my daughter has had to temporarily drop out of school with bizarre, undiagnosible pain issues.

I also started a full-time job in a completely different field, after two and a half years of unemployment.

I've no idea what 2012 holds for me -- but it's definitely going to be different from anything I've experienced to this point!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:14 pm

First off Congrats Cinde! Making a slideshow of the happy occasion?

Peru, your FIL sounds wonderful.

Steve, wow...2011 a mixed bag. Hope 2012 is better.

1. No resolutions.

2. Still hosting students from the Uni. We have about 6 officially and about 6+ unofficially. We end up picking up friends or room mates which is okay. Later this month we will have the group over for the day & dinner. It won't be a red solo cup party, but we manage to have a good time. The countries represented are Turkey, India, Nepal, China & Germany.

3. Haven't been editing much lately due to helping out an ill family member. My current project, which is still on tape, is from video I took at the Dec Commencement for one of our students. I have videoed so many of these by now that I know where to sit get the best shots. The Univ no longer lets you up on the walkway behind the stage so I have had to change where we sit. I'll add a slideshow to the disc too. Just got his photos from the past 4 years. My daughter reminded him to pick parent appropriate songs since he will probably be sending a copy home and he replied that is of no worry since his parents don't speak English. :-8
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby cdeemer » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:04 pm

1. No resolutions. At my age, getting out of bed is good enough.

2. Still teaching my class. Been in process of getting all my past books onto Kindle. I love Kindle as a reader! LOVE IT. So, as a writer, I thought I should get all my stuff on it. It's easy actually. And readers are looking at the draft of a new short novel, SODOM, GOMORRAH AND JONES, which may be my literary Swan Song. I hope so! Enough scribbling is enough.

3. May be retired from video, after the feature I did summer before last. Still recovering ha ha. Would like to make a video of A Day in the Life of Sketch, my dog, but not sure how to handle it yet. Has anybody done a narrative of an animal? Tips?
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Greg mgm » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:46 am

I didn't like 2011. It started with Thyroid cancer for me and had two surgeries because of it. In July I had ear surgery which went real bad and I'm still dealing with that. In Nov my mom passed away. Currently I'm working on a tribute video to play at her memorial in 2 weeks. It's much harder than I thought to make a video of a loved one who has passed, but it's rewarding and therapeutic. I haven't done much in the way of video work except for what I mentioned, and I miss it. My sister and I plan to get together much more often which is nice since we live a few hours away from each other. Definitely, 2012 will be a much better year!
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:23 am

Hi all!

No resolutions for me. I agree with Charles, getting up is hard enough...

2011 was difficult for us as a family. Older daughter got divorced with the usual children issues, and we are fairly estranged from my younger daughter and her family over financial issues (sounds stupid, and is).

I am still getting my PC setup back to snuff for video. I used to have two machines, one for daily stuff and one strictly for video. But I had to consolidate to the newer (video) PC when the older one got too, well, old! So I am going to have to get a new video PC ASAP.

Still doing family videos, but just sound bites on Vimeo, that is what the family wants, not DVDs.

The important thing is that Alice and I have our health, and each other after 43 years this year. Looking forward to spending our kids inheritance =D>
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:26 am

1. I made a resolution years ago to not have any resolutions, have kept that one :)

2. New position at work, includes travel (that is both good and bad). I have been at the same job for almost 12 years now and traveled to Dallas, Tx. for two days, that was the extent of my travel. Now, in the past 12 weeks I have been gone 3 and will be in Chicago again Sunday - Friday next week.

3. I am still doing a few weddings a year but have been offered other types of work which has been fun.
Editing seminars and infomercials, those have been a new experience for me. It really picked up again in 2011. The previous 2 years had been extremely slow and two years ago I think I may have edited 2 or 3 projects.
In 2011 there were at least 12, that was a real blessing. Not as good as it was back in 2008 when I was editing about 40 projects a year but definitely getting better.

Good to hear from everyone and especially from Cinde who has been missing in action for awhile.
Congrats Cinde - We are all very happy for you :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:51 am

Chuck Engels wrote:Congrats Cinde - We are all very happy for you :)

Second that. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:56 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:I also started a full-time job in a completely different field, after two and a half years of unemployment.

Steve, my guess is that, during those 2.5 years, your were more busy writing all those books than you are with full-time employment.

True?

Did being a multi-published author play a role in obtaining the new employment, even if it's in a completely different field?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:35 pm

Thanks for noticing, George. I did manage to write 12 books in those 30 months off -- in between pushing my resume, meeting people, interviewing, doing temp work and part-time jobs and facing lots of rejection. So didn't spend much time sitting around watching "Judge Judy."

No, my current job isn't at all related to video or writing. But I'm planning to continue to do that in my off-time. Unless my brain explodes, which it's threatened to do on a number of occasions these past couple of months.

Thankfully, we've been blessed with a pretty mild winter so far here in Wisconsin. It's a near-record 50 degrees and sunny here today! I know real winter is inevitable -- but it's nice to still squeeze in some refreshing mid-day walks while I can.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:17 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote: Unless my brain explodes, which it's threatened to do on a number of occasions these past couple of months.

Stock up on the duck tape Steve !!
A brain can't explode when your head is wrapped real tight with duck tape :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby wyzboing » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:29 pm

Steve I hope your employment goes well but please keep writing the books!
wyzboing

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Water Cooler