FAQSearch

Previous topic | Next topic
Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

HD on DVD from PRE 7 or 8

HD on DVD from PRE 7 or 8

Offline - Premiere Member
Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:10 pm Post
I am currently using PRE 4. I plan to get PRE 7 or 8. I want to create a project using HD media, and then burn to a 4.7 GB DVD. Will that DVD when played on a HD TV have the same HD resolution as the original media?

Cliff
Last post Reply with quote 

Re: HD on DVD from PRE 7 or 8

Offline - Site Admin
Profile  WWW 
Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:34 pm Post
In short, yes.

Offline - Super Moderator
Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:39 pm Post
Well, sort of. Particularly if your DVD player has a feature for upscaling standard DVDs so that they look like hi-def.

But DVDs play standard def video -- and that's less than half the horizontal and half the vertical pixels of hi-def. So you're only getting a fraction of the resolution of your original footage even if, as Ron indicated, it should still look pretty good.

Offline - Site Admin
Profile  WWW 
Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:44 pm Post
Steve, I believe the OP is asking whether burning Hi-Def to a standard DVD results in the same hi-definition output. The answer is yes, but you only get about 20 minutes or so of footage.

Offline - Super Contributor
Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:56 pm Post
Steve and Ron,

I had the same impression as Ron (burn HD on a standard DVD).

However, it also seems like the submitter is asking -- if this can be done from Premiere Elements 7 or 8?

Offline - Super Contributor
Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:17 pm Post
Barb O wrote
Steve and Ron,

However, it also seems like the submitter is asking -- if this can be done from Premiere Elements 7 or 8?

I "share" my HD Timelines to SD DVDs regularly using PRE7, and the resulting DVD, when played back with a SD DVD player, is SD. However, if I play that SD DVD with my Blu-ray player, then it gets "up-rezzed," as Steve says, to 1920x1080--but does NOT look nearly as good as an actual Blu-ray DVD.

A member did post in the past that software (CyberLink?) does exist that will put 20 minutes of HD on a SD DVD, but I'm not aware of any way to do that with PRE7.

Offline - Site Admin
Profile  WWW 
Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:44 pm Post
Barb O wrote
Steve and Ron,

Good point. PRE7 is NOT capable of doing this. It needs to be done 3'rd party (Cyberlink DVD MovieFactory 6+ for one).

Profile  WWW 
Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:57 pm Post
You would also need a player that can play that DVD, not any DVD player will.

Offline - Moderator
Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:06 pm Post
What about the DVD menu. I have HD video to burn to a standard DVD (20 minutes) using moviefactory (ulead) but do I need to create a special DVD menu???

Sidd

Offline - Moderator
Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:01 pm Post
I've done this with the demo of Vegas Studio. No menus - but chapter markers worked. Most (all?) DVD players will not play this (my father's cheap up-scaling DVD player won't). A Blu-Ray player might (my Sony does).

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:26 pm Post
So,

It sounds like if I want to distribute HD video to my family (few have bluray players) that I need cyberlink or moviefactory. Are these editing packages that would replace PRE?

Profile  WWW 
Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:37 pm Post
I think more of using them in addition to PRE, not replacing.
You will come to find out that most times there isn't one tool that does everything.
Most people here probably have at least 3 or 4 packages to do different things with video.

Offline - Site Admin
Profile  WWW 
Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:01 pm Post
cspitser wrote
So,

It sounds like if I want to distribute HD video to my family (few have bluray players) that I need cyberlink or moviefactory. Are these editing packages that would replace PRE?

Like Chuck mentioned earlier, your family/friends would have to, at the very least, have a HD-DVD player to play that content. It's a totally different format than standard DVD.

Offline - Moderator
Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:04 am Post
PaulLS is the expert on this stuff but I think that they should play OK on a PC/Playstation type box connected to a TV. I don't believe that they will play on a standard DVD player; I haven't tried this approach on my Panasonic BD player.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:01 am Post
I looked at the cyberlink web site. They have many products. Is it the "power2go 6" that I would want?
Top Reply with quote 

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]
Previous topic | Next topic