They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PSE9 Image Imports To BluffTitler

Discussions about the plethora of Plugins, Titlers and any other third party video editor add-ons.

PSE9 Image Imports To BluffTitler

Postby BobWard » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:54 pm

Well, I went ahead and purchased BluffTitler after the discussions last week.

I am on my first project now and am attempting to import an image from PSE9 into BluffTitler. It is a picture of an airplane. I used the polygon lasso tool in PSE9 to cut-out the silhouette/image of the plane, i.e., I got rid of all the background layer imagery. I have saved the cut-out as both a jpg and png file.

When I import the image into BluffTitler, the image comes across ok, but I also get all the white background around the image, as it was displayed in PSE9. I want to get rid of the white background so that I just have the plane silouette/image showing in BT. There must be some simple way to do this. I was thinking maybe a chroma key operation in PSE9 might work but I cannot find a chroma effect in PSE9.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the white background?

Bob
BobWard

Re: PSE9 Image Imports To BluffTitler

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:09 pm

Bob, JPEGs don't support transparency. To get transparency in the PNG use Save for Web and make sure that the transparency option is checkmarked. Another option would be to use a transparent GIF. I don't use BluffTitler, but I assume it would support it.

BTW, you say that you "got rid of all the background layer imagery." You did erase the white background too didn't you? After you do that you need to save it in a format that supports transparency.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby BobWard » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:57 pm

Dave,

Regarding the white background - I cut the image out of the original picture using "polygon lasso" and pasted the resulting image onto a new layer. I then deleted the original background layer. So what I have left in PSE9 is the airplane image on the checkerboard layer background.

I went back and saved the image as a gif file with transparency ON. I still get the white, square background when opening the image in BluffTitler. There must be some simple thing I am doing wrong.

Bob
BobWard

Postby Peru » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:44 pm

Try it as a PNG and see if that helps.
Peru

Postby BobWard » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:14 pm

Well, the png format worked this time. I swear I tried that file format previously and could not get rid of the white background.

Anyway, it is gone now. Thanks for the suggestion. I just need to learn how to use BluffTitler now.
BobWard

Postby Peru » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:59 am

Help > User Guide has some good info.

Also, click on "streaming video tutorial" here:
http://www.mediablitzed.com/
Peru

Postby BobWard » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:22 pm

Peru,

The medialitzed.com video was very helpful and inspiring. I will also start working my way through the BT Help Guide. Will probably take a few weeks (months) to entirely get my arms around all the capabilities. Seems to be a pretty versatile and comprehensive program.

Thanks,

Bob
BobWard

Postby BobWard » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:32 am

Well, I tried importing another png file to BluffTitler and I ended up with the same problem, i.e., I get the white background rectangle behind the imported image again.
One png file came through without the white background while this new did not.

When looking at these png files in the PSE9 editor, the only difference I could see is that the file that came through ok has the checkerboard background, while the file that did not come through ok has a solid white background. The checkerboard background must be transparent to BT while the white background is not. I have no idea why one file has a different background that the other when viewed in the Editor.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on here and how I can convert the white background to a checkerboard pattern in PSE9?

Bob
BobWard

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:39 am

While I don't have PSE9, I believe when you create a new document, there is an option to create it with the background color (usually white), foreground color (usually black), or transparent background. A transparent background gives you the checkerboard look. What is displayed to represent transparency is an option in preferences.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby BobWard » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:55 am

The transparency settings in PSE9 allow the selection of different colors for thr checkerboard background, there is no option to select a solid background transparency color.

So what this tells me is that I do not have a transparent backgropund on the image that is causing the problem, i.e., I have a solid white background instead of the checkerboard background. I don't know how that happened, but I must have done something wrong when I was manipulating the layers.

Now my problem is how to easily get the transparent background back without having to go through the time consuming task of "re-lassoing" the image and pasting it to a new layer with a transparent background.

Bob
BobWard

Postby Peru » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:44 pm

Have you tried the background eraser or the magic eraser?
Peru

Postby BobWard » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:02 pm

I tried the magnetic lasso tool and it worked great since the image was on a pure white background. Had the image outlined in about 3 minutes.

I then cut the image and pasted it onto a new layer in PSE9, which now has the transparent checkerboard background. Saved the new file as a png and it imported into BT just fine - no more white background rectangle.

On the original effort, I was working on several layers and must have unknowly merged a couple layers, one of which probably had the white background as part of the layer image.

Anyway, lesson learned, I will be more careful now when working with layers.

Bob
BobWard

Return to Plugins & Titlers