They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

A Nice Feature of PS CS5

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Re: A Nice Feature of PS CS5

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:14 pm

BTW, if I may ask, where can I view the intructions for creating my own styles and then adding them to the Styles panel?

The styles you see in the styles panel are actually presets. When you click on a style in the styles panel, you are applying predefined effects specified in the preset to the layer. If you click on the "Fx" symbol at the bottom of the layers panel or double click on the right side of the layer, you get a layer style dialog box where you can modify the settings of any existing effects that have been applied or add new ones. If you want to save what you have just created as a new style, click on the "new style..." button on the right side of the dialog box and give it a name. It will be added to the styles panel.

The styles in the styles panel are a temporary working set that can be replaced using the load styles command or lost if the cache files are deleted or reset. It would be a good idea to save your custom styles as a styles set that can be loaded if necessary. At upper right corner of the styles panel box, there is a flyout button where you can select the preset manager. Using the preset manager. select the styles you want to save and click on "save set...".

The Photoshop help file has documentation on all the layer style effects you can add. There is also a lot of documentation and examples on the web. Here's one site: http://designinstruct.com/tools-basics/photoshop-layer-styles-comprehensive-guide/. Nothing special about that site, it was just the first I found when searching.

A good way to learn how styles work is to apply an existing style and then use the "Fx" button to see what's in it. By turning on and off the different effects and modifying the settings, you can learn how they work.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:35 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:And don't forget, Muvipix is a Lynda.com Affiliate :)
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6607

I learned of lynda from the muvipix Home page, Chuck.

Hats off -- all together now -- to muvipix for providing that link. (My favorite smiley of all, Ron.)

:hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat:

HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:39 pm

Bob wrote:A good way to learn how styles work is to apply an existing style and then use the "Fx" button to see what's in it. By turning on and off the different effects and modifying the settings, you can learn how they work.

I knew about that, Bob, but what I did not know is how and where to save them. Thank you for telling me how.

:fg:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:51 pm

Bob wrote:The Photoshop help file has documentation on all the layer style effects you can add. There is also a lot of documentation and examples on the web. Here's one site: http://designinstruct.com/tools-basics/photoshop-layer-styles-comprehensive-guide/. Nothing special about that site, it was just the first I found when searching.

A good way to learn how styles work is to apply an existing style and then use the "Fx" button to see what's in it. By turning on and off the different effects and modifying the settings, you can learn how they work.

That is a very helpful link, Bob, for beginners like me. Creating and saving Layer Styles is an activity that I will spend lots of time on. As I said, I want to be able to provide each client with a unique Style for her particular set of photos.

Thank you stil once again.

A one, a two, a three, a 1,2 ,3 4:

George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:30 pm

HI George, I just post the reminders and links for the other folks that are checking out this topic.
Not everyone knows that Muvipix is a Lynda.com affiliate ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:09 am

Bob wrote:A good way to learn how styles work is to apply an existing style and then use the "Fx" button to see what's in it. By turning on and off the different effects and modifying the settings, you can learn how they work.

Every time I see a Drop Shadow I have the urge to squash the image to the background. I'm imagining, you see, that the glue on the back of the image has failed.

In addition, I like the light to be without an angle.

So, I took your advice and just created my first 2 Styles, both Inner Shadows, one with and one without a Stroke. I've saved both of those to the Preset Manager. Ditto for my 2 Crop Tool presets (9x6 and 6x9).

:TU:

P.S. The information in the link that you provided is very helpful, so I've added it to my Favorites.

:hat:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:33 am

momoffduty wrote:I recently watched a tut on the crop tool PS CS5 and very impressed on the options. Instead of cropping the photo, you can hide the pixels like a mask. This works on a layer and not a background layer. The crop tool can also be used to create a matte for the photo.

Cheryl, after noting that I had not bookmarked that chapter on cropping by Michael N, I re-viewed it.

Now I remember why I did not bookmark it: After spending 4+ minutes demonstrating a variety of crops, Michael finally settled on one which transected not one but both wrist joints of the woman.

As every portrait artist is aware, it is an absolute no-no to set one's crop so that it transects any of the joints of the body, most especially the wrist and ankle joints.

BTW, I do recall seeing a crop method in another course in which the trainer advocated using the crop tool, rather than the Canvas, to create a space around the image. The woman is a fantastic trainer (and a graduate of Stanford Law School), so I tried my best to like her method, however, I could never get the crop exact enough that I would end up with exactly an 8.5 x 11 file, so I abandoned it in favor of my previous method, namely, setting the document size with the Image and Canvas options. (Nearly all my prints are 9x6-inch landscape portraits on 11x8.5-inch Kirkland Ultra Photo Glossy paper.)

If you do have any success with this method, please let me know and I will try again.

:meet:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:54 am

George Tyndall wrote:
Now I remember why I did not bookmark it: After spending 4+ minutes demonstrating a variety of crops, Michael finally settled on one which transected not one but both wrist joints of the woman.

As every portrait artist is aware, it is an absolute no-no to set one's crop so that it transects any of the joints of the body, most especially the wrist and ankle joints.

:

The Crop tut at Lynda did not have any body parts maimed. :shock: :)
Edit: The opening tut in this chapter may have cropped the wrists for demo purposes only.
Look at this Tut:
Essential Training PS CS5 Chapter 10: Making the Canvas Bigger with the Crop Tool

To increase the canvas:

Use the crop tool to select the whole image. Release the mouse. Alt+Drag the corner to be equally larger around the 4 sides. Hit Return. Now the background layer has a larger white canvas. You can change the color of the canvas.

To get a transparent larger canvas, the layer can not be a background layer. Dbl click the background layer to make a layer.

This looks like a fast way to place an image on a transparent background. Will save me time getting things ready for AE.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:17 am

momoffduty wrote:Look at this Tut:
Essential Training PS CS5 Chapter 10: Making the Canvas Bigger with the Crop Tool [/i]

Yes, that chapter is informative, and I did bookmark it after viewing it a while ago.

Jan Kabili teaches this same method in her excellent 6-hour+ course on PSE7, however, when I tried the method using the rulers as a guide, I could not get the final file -- image + surrounding bg -- to be exactly 11x8.5. So, I'm still using the Image>Canvas method to get the exact size bg that I want, then moving my 9x6 image around on that canvas as desired (each is on a separate layer). I use the Move tool's Align button to ascertain that everything -- title, image and canvas -- are perfectly aligned.

Thank you for sharing. :hat:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Photoshop