They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Successfully running version 8

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Successfully running version 8

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:52 am

Here are some things I've learned over the past several weeks.

1) Ensure you've got enough hardware resources. I wouldn't try to run this program on anything less than a dual-core processor with 4 gigs of RAM and at least 30 gigs of free, defragmented hard drive space. Don't try to edit AVCHD on anything less than a quad core machine.

2) Ensure you have the latest Windows Updates (manually go to Windows Update and get the non-critical updates also) and the latest version of Quicktime and your graphics cards drivers.

3) LET THE PROGRAM COMPLETELY START UP BEFORE YOU TRY TO EDIT! This program takes a long time to fully start up. Wait until it completely loads, all of the clips have thumbnails on them and your hard drive stops churning. (You can even open Task Manager and watch it until the processor calms down.) On a slower machine, it can take 3-5 minutes for the program to completely load and settle down.

4) Whenever possible, use only standard video formats as your source files: MiniDV, HDV (tape-based hi-def) or AVCHD. Watch out for video from things like pocket hi-def camcorders like the Flip.

5) Render often. (I also recommend you go to Edit/Preferencess/General and turn off Background Rendering.) Whenever you see red lines above your clips on your timeline, press Enter and let the program render them. (The red lines will turn green.)

As I've said, I'm now running version 8 on both an XP machine and a Windows 7 machine and it's quite stable with my current workflow.

Hope that helps!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Successfully running version 8

Postby Peru » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:58 am

Do you think you could get Adobe to print this on the package and the website? :-

It would sure result in a lot less unhappy customers and fewer calls for help in all of the forums. ;)
Peru

Postby JohnnyO » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:22 am

Do you think you could get Adobe to print this on the package and the website?

It would sure result in a lot less unhappy customers and fewer calls for help in all of the forums.

Yeah. You want Adobe to admit that they lied about the minimum hardware requirements ontheir web site. You also want them to say that it could take up to 5 minutes to load. And that background rendering is a realy a resource intensive feature that should be turned off.
You also want them to admit on their web site that only standard formats will work properly with PRE8. All other formats, even though supported, wil not work well.

I wish Adobe, or any other company for that matter, would be so honest.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:17 am

JohnnyO wrote:I wish Adobe, or any other company for that matter, would be so honest.

................Ooooh! Look! A flying pig! :lol:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:08 am

image129 image129 image129 image129 image129
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:03 am

:pull: Steve, I would like to add that you should turn off Elements Auto Analyzer. That option is turned off in the Organizer. You can't turn it off from within Premiere Elements user interface.

That analyzer takes up huge amounts of CPU time, interferring with all applications you run, not just Premiere Elements. It starts up by itself when you start Windows.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Barb O » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:05 am

RJ Johnston wrote: Steve, I would like to add that you should turn off Elements Auto Analyzer. That option is turned off in the Organizer. You can't turn it off from within Premiere Elements user interface.

That analyzer takes up huge amounts of CPU time, interferring with all applications you run, not just Premiere Elements. It starts up by itself when you start Windows.

That is a very good recommendation RJ.
In the Organizer workspace, under the Edit menu =>Preferences, is the Auto Analyzer Options screen. Uncheck the option to Analyze All Media in Catalog automatically.

This recommendation to turn off the Elements 8 Auto Analyzer Preference in the Organizer is relevant whether running Premiere Elements 8 or Photoshop Elements 8 or both.

P.S. I noticed that Steve's Muvipix Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 8 has instructions on page 205 for turning this setting off.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:29 am

Cool! Somebody actually read my book! ;)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:02 am

Steve-

Have you considered posting your instructions above on the Adobe Forum?
Seriously-- not the comments we added, just your instructions. ;)
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:25 am

Actually, I did. Though just on the regular forum, not on the FAQs page.

I may post it to the FAQs page too. Good idea.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cathyann » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:16 pm

I'm a newbie to this site. I bought PE8 and PS8 recently, but am waiting to install it cause I'm still waiting for my Windows 7 upgrade to come in the mail. I have a new Sony w/ 6 GB RAM and I think it has a core 2 duo processor. The sales rep @ best buy said this PC had a good Video Card (ATI Radeon Premium Graphics). She said it would be great for gaming, (I don't do gaming), but I figured it would be great for video editing. With all that said, I installed PE8 and PS8 on my old PC just to get a feel of it (while I was waitin for my W7 upgrade for the new PC). DISASTER. I figured it might be a lil slow, the PC is only 2 years old & was cutting edge when I got it. Gateway 2 GB RAM and duo core processor??? (sorry I don't know the exact specs), but it ain't a dinasaur. I had to uninstall it completely!! It took over my processor!! Now I'm thinkin I wasted my $$ on this software. I used to use Pinnacle Studio, but I read so many good reviews about PSE that I just assumed the 8 version would be best w/ W7. Thanks for the great tips. Wish me luck!
Sony VAIO w/64 Bit OS; 6 GB RAM ; Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 7350 @ 2.0 GHz; Vista (upgrading soon to W7)
cathyann
New User
New User

Postby Paul LS » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:41 am

Welcome cathyann to Muvipix :meet:

With PE8 Adobe introduced the feature of running some background processes which can, if wanted, be disabled and so will never start. This is probably what you are seeing when you say PE8 takes over your processor. There are two background processors, clip rendering and clip anaylsis. I generally have both of these turned off.

Background Rendering renders all non DV-AVI clips or clips to which effects or transitions have been applied to, afterwards they will play back more smoothly in your timeline. To turn off this feature, go to Edit/Preferences and uncheck the Background Rendering option. You can infact render manually by pressing the Enter key.

The background process that sucks up most resources is background Auto Analyzer. This analyzes your clips and adds tags and is used for other features in PE8. To disable it, go to the Organizer's Edit/Preferences and select the Auto Analyzer page. Uncheck this option.

A core 2 duo processor should be fine for editing video unless it is AVCHD... in which case you need a very fast dual core or preferably a quad core processor.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:45 am

Hi, Cathyann. Welcome!

I think you'll find your new computer will be more than adequate to run this software. As Paul said, there are some background resources you'll likely want to turn off.
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/503270?tstart=0

Your performance can also be affected by the type of video you're editing. What kind of camcorder is your video coming from?

Though it might be better if we split this conversation off into its own thread so that your concerns can get the attention it deserves. Any objection to our doing that?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cathyann » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:20 am

Thanks for the link. I may try to install PE8 on my older PC with these "tweaks". I'll look around the site & try not to vere off subject too much. I just wanted to say that I was very surprised & disappointed initially that PE8 was such a hog on my older PC. I'll let u know if it works any better with the tweaks. Do you know if there is a limit to how many times it can be unistalled & reinstalled?
Thanks again
Sony VAIO w/64 Bit OS; 6 GB RAM ; Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 7350 @ 2.0 GHz; Vista (upgrading soon to W7)
cathyann
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:22 am

You can uninstall and reinstall as often as you like, Cathyann.

But you can only have it installed on two different computers at a time -- and then it can't be running on both computers at the same time.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 8