They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Pass through Blend Mode

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Pass through Blend Mode

Postby Niki Burony » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:54 am

Hi all - I have a question about a "Pass Through" blend mode.
What I recently noticed is that,for example, I open up a new blank file in Photoshop Elements 6, and then have a couple of pictures open below in the project bin. If I drag the picture icon onto the blank file, it creates a new layer with the .jpg on top of the first layer. This is all well and good.

But, what I've just noticed that the blend mode for this jpg layer is coming up listed as "pass through" - not "normal". I'm not sure if this has always been the case and I just noticed it? If so, please let me know if this is typical and maybe what the "Pass through" blend mode is? I haven't been able to find too much information about it.

OR..... if this is not typical, and I did something accidently to cause this, how do I fix it? Should the layer be showing as normal??

Thanks
Niki
Niki Burony

Re: Pass through Blend Mode

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:08 am

Hi Niki,

"Pass through" is a layer blending mode that only applies to what are called "layer sets" in older versions of Photoshop or "layer groups" in the newest ones. As the name implies, a group (or set) can contain more than one layer. If one or more of the layers in the group are adjustment layers, "pass though" will allow the effect of the adjustment layers to pass through the group and potentially affect any layers below the group. "Normal" blending mode, on the other hand, limits the effect of the contained adjustment layers to only the layers within the group. The effect will not pass out of the group and affect layers outside the group. "Pass through" is the default blending mode when you create a new layer group.

I don't have Photoshop Elements 6, I use Photoshop CS3, but it sounds like a new layer group was created to contain the image from the other file when you dropped it in. If the layer group only contains the single image from the jpg file, it doesn't matter whether the blending mode is "pass through" or "normal" since there will be no adjustment layer. You might try dragging in a psd file with layers to see if the layers are brought in. If that's the case, and there were adjustment layers present, I would change the blending mode to "normal" to avoid having the adjustment layers in the group affecting the other layers in my file.
Bob

Re: Pass through Blend Mode

Postby Niki Burony » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:38 am

Thanks Bob - I think I understand better now. Always appreciate the great advice I get on this site.
Niki
Niki Burony

Return to Photoshop Elements