They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Free Cropping tool

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Free Cropping tool

Postby Cinde » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:22 am

I use a free cropping tool called JPEGCrops. Unfortunately, it only works with jpg format, but it’s great at what it does with jpg. It can be downloaded at http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/

The thing I like most about this is that I can choose exactly where to crop each individual pix. The one on the left is 2560x1920 and I want to crop it to 4:3. I can get rid of some unwanted background or simply get closer to a face by grabbing and dragging the handle to make it smaller, resulting in the 1337x1002 on the right. (Steve, I KNOW that’s beyond the 1000 x750 you recommend, but that’s a job for one of the batch tools you recommend.)

My crop just happened to end up at the center, but you have the freedom to crop to any size and any area of the pic.
jpegcrops2.jpg

It does have a lot of preset aspects including one for 4:3, but not one for 16:9. There is an advanced preference setting to add new aspect ratios, but I'm struggling to comprehend aspect ratios so I'm no help there. (Maybe someone could take a look and give advice.)
jpegcrops.jpg

I hope these examples help some of you. There is virtually no help file but it’s easily learned. The major thing to remember (so you don't overwrite the original) is to make a new file for your cropped pics or go into settings and check to rename files. If anyone else wants to download and give it a whirl, I’m only a post away to ask for help (except for the aspect ratio mentioned above :banghead: ).

PS: The pic was taken June 07 in Louisville, Ky of me and my friend Robley Rex, age 106, one of the few WWI veterans still living. He is truly an amazing man. http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/11/10/centenarian.veteran.ap/index.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Free Cropping tool

Postby Gooder » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:01 am

Cinde wrote:PS: The pic was taken June 07 in Louisville, Ky of me and my friend Robley Rex, age 106, one of the few WWI veterans still living. He is truly an amazing man. http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/11/10/centenarian.veteran.ap/index.html

Handy little tool :)

Your friend is amazing, 106 and still looking active! =D>
I'm sure he would have some very interesting stories to tell us!

Cheers,
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Andy_E » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:48 pm

I downloaded the app and took a quick look at creating a preset for 16:9.

I did File->Preferences->Add

I typed in a suitable description, selected "Fixed aspect ratio without units" typed in 16 and 9 in the "Edit Settings" area and clicked on OK. That gave me a 16:9 preset.

Hope that helps.
Andy_E
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby tjodork » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:04 pm

I can't seem to get to the web page for jpegcrops ...tried yesterday and today....
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Cinde » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:08 pm

In case anyone tries to do a Google, there are two programs... one is JPEGCrops, (with an s at the end) the second is JPEGCrop. We want the first one with the "s" at the end.

Here's a link directly to the download page: http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/download.html
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby William Tranter » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:56 pm

A pretty cool cropping tool, Cinde, though I don't know if I'll ever use it because I use Photoshop Elements all the time for my photo editing. Still, you never know . . . ! And as for ever reaching 106, I don't think I'll ever get that far, but the best of luck to him, that's for sure!
I haven't had a look at this forum for a while, so your tool was a complete surprise. Many thanks.
All the best,
Bill
Dell XPS 430 running Win7 Pro 64-bit with 8GB RAM, Sony TRV480E (digital8), Sony GVD800 vcr (digital8), Sony HDR-FX7E (HDV, miniDV), and Sony CX730E (AVCHD).
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Tips and Tricks