They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE4 photos fit to width instead of height

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

PE4 photos fit to width instead of height

Postby ksnielsen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:41 am

Hi-

I have a project that is wide screen. When I bring in pictures, the auto fit is to fit to the height. Is there a setting any where that would force it to fit to width instead?

Karen
Karen
ksnielsen

Re: PE4 photos fit to width instead of height

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:50 am

Well, remember that widescreen video uses a 16:9 aspect ratio while most photos are 4:3.

So you'll either cut off the tops and bottoms of your photos or you'll have photos with black along the sides. Which would you prefer?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Doreen L. » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:02 am

It all depends on the source of your photos. Digital cameras take photos in the 4:3 format. 35 mm film and most digital SLR cameras take photos in 3:2 with the exception of some of the Panasonic which can do 7:4 as well as APS film. I find that for the best slideshow of photos, each one really has to be cropped manually to display the photo the best way possible.
Dell XPS410 Duo Core, 4GB RAM, 2 360 gig hard drives, 1 500 gig external hard drive
http://tworiversailing.com/
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ksnielsen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:31 pm

So I take it that's a no. I had over 200 pics for a slideshow with all kinds a space at the top and bottom of the pics that didn't need to show. It was a play so there was just a lot of stage and curtains. I did them all manually and basically sized the majority so that the width fit and the top and bottom were cropped. It would have been nice to have it size to the width for this project. Oh, well. Doesn't hurt to ask :-D
Karen
ksnielsen

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:05 pm

ksnielsen wrote:So I take it that's a no. I had over 200 pics for a slideshow with all kinds a space at the top and bottom of the pics that didn't need to show. It was a play so there was just a lot of stage and curtains. I did them all manually and basically sized the majority so that the width fit and the top and bottom were cropped. It would have been nice to have it size to the width for this project. Oh, well. Doesn't hurt to ask :-D

You would have to use a tool like Photoshop Elements or a nice freeware tool that I like, called Irfanview. With Irfanview you can resize and specify a crop. Point it at your directory of pictures and let it go. Is that something like what you are looking for?
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ksnielsen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:54 am

I will have to play with irfanview. Thanks for the idea.

Karen
Karen
ksnielsen

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 pm

You might be able to use the Crop effect (under the Transform effects) with the Zoom option checked. Then copy that effect and paste to the other clips.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:04 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:You might be able to use the Crop effect (under the Transform effects) with the Zoom option checked. Then copy that effect and paste to the other clips.

Robert,
How would the overhead of applying the crop effect to 200 pics affect PrEl? It seems that it might have significant performance degradation. Never having applied that many effects myself, I was wondering.....

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:13 pm

I don't worry about how long it's going to take at first. I slap the effect on 200 clips, and if it seems to me that it's taking to long to export, I abort and try something else.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby JohnnyO » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:39 pm

You could justleave the photos the way they are, move them to video track 2, and put a motion background on video track 1. Thay way you will not have the black band on the top and bottom of the picture. There are lots of motion backgrounds available on this site.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Cinde » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:28 am

Karen, I agree with JohnnyO. I often do this because my clients give me photos as small as wallet size up to 8x10 and everything in between. Sometimes I have no option to crop, especially those wallet close ups.

However on those pix that I am at liberty to crop, I use a tool called JPEG Crops. I just posted about it in Tips and Tricks
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2069
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Prior Versions