They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Working on my Surface

Premiere Pro discussions.

Working on my Surface

Postby mikecox » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:58 pm

I was running PrE on my surface and it misbehaved so I tried installing PrP and it wouldn't even run. I finally took my Surface to MS and they discovered the "tablet" battery was dead. The "Tablet" is the screen and, I'm told, where the graphics are and with a dead battery the graphics were affected. After getting a "replacement" Surface I installed PrP again and voila; it is working perfectly!

Now that I'm running Pro I will have to start learning Pr all over again! I have a lot of questions but I"m working them out, one by one, with the help of tutorials and ref books. But one that I haven't found the answer to is: how do I remove the "test" project I created on day one?

I found the Project file in C:\...'Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\12.0 I'm sure I can delete the Test file but I'm not sure about deleting the 12.0 folder. (see folder image)

Is it possible to delete a project from inside Pr?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael :cool:
Pr Pro, Ps and Lr CC, Canon Cameras: 60D and 70D
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
i7-6600U CPU@2.6GHz 2.81, 16GB RAM,475 GB SSD, 211 Free
Intel HD Graphics 520, NVIDIA GeForce GPU
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Working on my Surface

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:48 pm

Normally, you wouldn't delete the 12.0 folder. That's a default location that Premiere Pro uses for other purposes. The "test" file is your project file. It's located there because you didn't specify a specific location when you created the test project and you accepted the "default" location. Go ahead and delete the "test" project file.

For future projects, I recommend that you create a separate folder for each project and specify that folder as the location when you create the new project. The default location for the scratch files that get created during editing and processing your project is the same location as the project. By placing each project in its own separate folder, you keep the project and it's scratch files together in one place and you can simply delete the project folder when it's no longer needed and you'll get rid of everything easily. On my computer, I created a master folder to contain all the project folders I'm working on and create my new project folders inside that folder.
Bob

Postby mikecox » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:19 pm

Thanks for your response.

I am reading "Cool Stuff in Pre Pro" by Jarie Leirpoll but it appears a little out of date, although it was published in 2017. But some of the instructions; like importing by dragging and dropping on an icon in the upper right corner of the window, an option that doesn't seem to exist in my copy of Pre Pro CC.

The author also recommends that all "helper files" be put next to the source files" by checking the box next to "Save Media Cache files next to originals when possible, so I that it's possible to work across more than one computer.

He directs the reader to Pref/Media Cache", but I don't see that option.

What I have is

* " Media Cache Files

* Location option. By default it's an AppData folder.
* checkbox: "Save .cfa and .ped media cache files next to original files when possible?
* Delete unused media cache files option
* Media cache Database browser option

I'm sure one or another of these options is the one I want, but which one?.

In Pref/Media: there is a "create folder for the imported project."

How exactly does that work?

I would just like to be able to set a default folder for importing all my Project files to.

I sort my project files into sub-folders before I import then so when I click Import I'd like not to have drill down to find the folder I always use for my Projects.

ps I've searched and deleted all found copies of "test" project file, including the one in the 12.0 folder. But when I open Pre it's still listed, and it still opens. How is that possible?

I did find this in the AppData folder but I don't know if it's the culpret.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:34 pm

I am reading "Cool Stuff in Pre Pro" by Jarie Leirpoll but it appears a little out of date, although it was published in 2017. But some of the instructions; like importing by dragging and dropping on an icon in the upper right corner of the window, an option that doesn't seem to exist in my copy of Pre Pro CC.

I haven't read that book, but the table of contents looks interesting.

I drag folders and/or files from Windows Explorer and drop them into the Project panel. Don't know what icon they're talking about.

The author also recommends that all "helper files" be put next to the source files" by checking the box next to "Save Media Cache files next to originals when possible, so I that it's possible to work across more than one computer.

The default location for the Media Cache database and the Media cache files is in that appdata location on your system drive. If you move the project to another computer, you won't have access to those files and they will have to be recreated on the other computer. That can be time consuming. By placing the media cache files with the original files, they get copied to the other computer when you move the project and don't have to be recreated. If you aren't moving projects back and forth between computers you don't need to worry about this. FYI, you should periodically clean up the two cache folders. You can safely delete the contents and Premiere Pro will recreate the ones it needs automatically when you open an existing project.

He directs the reader to Pref/Media Cache", but I don't see that option.

under Edit>Preferences, in the current version you show see a Media option and a Media Cache Option. Older versions just had a Media option.

What I have is

* " Media Cache Files

* Location option. By default it's an AppData folder.
* checkbox: "Save .cfa and .ped media cache files next to original files when possible?
* Delete unused media cache files option
* Media cache Database browser option

Those are in the Media Cache Preferences option.

I'm sure one or another of these options is the one I want, but which one?.

see my comment about media cache files above.

In Pref/Media: there is a "create folder for the imported project."

That's another option that isn't in my version or listed in the current Premiere Pro CC users guide. It appears to be relating to what happens when you import one project into another project. I always get a folder for the imported project assets when I do that.

I would just like to be able to set a default folder for importing all my Project files to.

Once you create a new project and place it into a specific location, Premiere Pro remembers that location and will use it for the next project. You can edit the location path when creating the next project.

I sort my project files into sub-folders before I import then so when I click Import I'd like not to have drill down to find the folder I always use for my Projects.

ps I've searched and deleted all found copies of "test" project file, including the one in the 12.0 folder. But when I open Pre it's still listed, and it still opens. How is that possible?

When the project opens in Premiere Pro, look at the top line of the Premiere Pro CC application window. The complete path to the project file should be listed there. Exit Premiere Pro CC, go to that location and delete the project file.

I did find this in the AppData folder but I don't know if it's the culpret.
Attachmentscache.jpg

That shouldn't cause that. And, it's safe to delete that entry.
Bob

Postby mikecox » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:27 pm

Bob wrote:

That's another option that isn't in my version or listed in the current Premiere Pro CC users guide. It appears to be relating to what happens when you import one project into another project. I always get a folder for the imported project assets when I do that.

I can understand how a book released in 2017 could refer to things that are no longer present in the current version of the program but I can't understand how that can be true of a cloud version of the program, and it's User's Guide, that are kept current through regular updates. How can one user's version ever be different from another? Why would what is in my version not in yours?

When the project opens in Premiere Pro, look at the top line of the Premiere Pro CC application window. The complete path to the project file should be listed there. Exit Premiere Pro CC, go to that location and delete the project file.

Turns out there was another 12.0 folder on my OneDrive. Once I got rid of the test file there it's stopped appearing in Pr.

Thanks again for your help.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Premiere Pro