They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

verticle lines in project assets

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

verticle lines in project assets

Postby mikecox » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:19 pm

I just reinstalled Win 10 Pro in an effort to rule out OS problems and see if any of the issues I've been having with PrE would go away. Apparently not :ha:

The most recent issue has to do with verticle lines in my assists.

jpg and dng files seem ok but psd and tiff files display in the assets with verticle lines.

In the recent past I have used psd images without a problem, mostly so I could bet images with a transparent background but now I get these lines.

https://app.box.com/s/l3lz93q5dlyre0edd9yfvq270khy5r2p

I tried starting a new, test, project to see if I got the same results, and I did.
Michael :cool:
Pr Pro, Ps and Lr CC, Canon Cameras: 60D and 70D
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
i7-6600U CPU@2.6GHz 2.81, 16GB RAM,475 GB SSD, 211 Free
Intel HD Graphics 520, NVIDIA GeForce GPU
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: verticle lines in project assets

Postby sidd finch » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:01 pm

I am not sure what is causing that Mike but I must say you seem to have the most persnickety computer I have ever read about.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:14 pm

I've never seen anything like that either, Mike.

Unfortunately, while installing a fresh copy of Windows can remove any corruptions that may have crept in, it can also wipe out beneficial things (video codecs for instance) that you've accumulated over the years.

I assume you've gone to the nVidia site and installed the latest graphics drivers. And I also assume that you actually reinstalled your programs and didn't just work from file backups.

But I definitely agree with Sidd. You've posted issues here and on the Adobe forum that have stumped the best of us. I'm not sure what to tell you other than make sure you've got all of the latest drivers for your system.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:15 am

I agree with everyone too Mike, so sorry you are having so many issues. I wonder if anyone else has a Surface Book and is not having any of these issues. I have run the last 6 versions on a Lenovo Thinkpad and have had very few issues. I do hope that somehow you can get all of this figured out but I think most of us are running out of ideas.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:48 am

I am not sure the urgency but I would suggest that you start from scratch and Reinstall fresh copies of all your software. I would try to make PRE your first install after windows. When you have just windows and PRE Installed try creating a fresh project and see how everything works.

Then try adding each additional program 1 at a time. Every time you add a new program try PRE and see if it still works. That way you might be able to isolate where the issue is coming from. Try to be methodical in how you install and test.

If you can try downloading Win 10 from Microsoft and install, Then download PRE from Adobe and install. Lets hope that this helps to identify what the issue is.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby mikecox » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:59 am

sidd finch wrote:start from scratch and Reinstall fresh copies of all your software. I would try to make PRE your first install after windows. When you have just windows and PRE Installed try creating a fresh project and see how everything works.

Sidd
Thanks Sidd, I absolutely agree! This is clearly a system problem.

I contacted MS and they remotely ran the reinstall utility, which I was nervous about initiating, with the "save data" option set. But those vertical lines are still there. So I went to my desktop, opened PrE from there and copied those images into a new project. They loaded without the vertical lines!! Oh, and my Titles come up on the desktop, they don't on the Surface Book machine.

Since the OS reinstall, I've restarted my computer twice and both times I got a solid colored screen; blue the first time green the second, with text in the upper left corner that read something like "there has been an error...." and a QR code in the lower left corner. Next time I will photograph it and try to read the QR but it goes away quickly, replaced with a warning that goes away as quickly after which the computer boots up normally.

It is clear that I am going to have to "start from scratch" because while everything appears to be working normally PrE isn't! and there is no way that I will accept that this machine can't handle PrE!

I will take your advice and after a clean install I will install PrE first. Actually, right after I bought this machine that was the first program I installed! But I reinstalled it a couple months ago hoping it would clear up my problems.

btw I have also had problems with explorer2, which crashed several times a day and the Developer is as baffled as you guys are, I've also has a weird renaming issues in Lr, and a few other oddball things that no one else can explain or reproduce.

I will post a f/u when I have done all this. [-o<

I would like to express my sincere thanks to Steve and everyone else who has offered steady, patient support to me on this forum ::CLAP:
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:33 pm

Just curious, Mike. In your notes, you say that you have both Intel onboard graphics and an nVidia GeoForce GPU. Does that mean that you bought the computer with Intel HD Graphics but you dropped in your own nVidia GPU?

If so, would you consider pulling the nVidia card as an experiment and seeing how things run on your default graphics setup?

I know getting those big GPU cards in and out can be a real bear. But in my experience, sometimes systems that are built with Intel graphics don't always play nice with after-market cards. I don't know why and I'm not expert -- I just now that my last computer run my big GPU card but, when I tried to drop it in my new system, things just never did work right.

And I've found virtually no limitations editing in Premiere Elements on my Intel HD 4600 graphics.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:52 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Just curious, Mike. In your notes, you say that you have both Intel onboard graphics and an nVidia GeoForce GPU. Does that mean that you bought the computer with Intel HD Graphics but you dropped in your own nVidia GPU?

I recently read a post somewhere in the Adobe Forums that said you need to disable the on board graphics in the BIOS in order for the added graphics card to work properly.
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:20 pm

That makes sense, Peru. But on my current computer, that's darn near impossible. Since the Intel graphics are literally hard-wired to the system, I can't even access my BIOS from any other GPU.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:14 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Just curious, Mike. In your notes, you say that you have both Intel onboard graphics and an nVidia GeoForce GPU. Does that mean that you bought the computer with Intel HD Graphics but you dropped in your own nVidia GPU?
No, my Surface Book is "stock" no hardware upgrades. I did contact nVidia about this issue and they told me MS modified their chipset so they could not help me.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:14 am

That's strange. A stock computer with two video systems? But oh well. That could be why Microsoft is getting out of the computer business.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:35 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:That's strange. A stock computer with two video systems? But oh well. That could be why Microsoft is getting out of the computer business.

Yes, I thought that kinda that strange.

I reinstalled PrE and installed the updates after MS logged onto my computer and re-install Windows 10; with the saving data option set. Now the images in the Assets window display normally. When l I dragged the PSD file, with the transparent background, onto track 2, above an image on track 1 and I was able to see track 1 in the background. For a moment I was elated until I tugged a corner of the image to resize it and the bars came back! So as long as I don't resize the image it displays normally, but as soon as try to resize it the vertical bars come back.

I went to my desktop and repeated the process and I get no verticle bars, even when I resize the image.

This is so weird, and I'm still getting Titles and Text on my desktop but not on my Surface Book!

I dread starting from scratch: reverting to "OOB" and re-installed everything mostly because I'm afraid nothing will change and that this is some kind of bug in the Surface Book's software.

But since the re-install I am getting a "Restart required" Notification... "to finish setting up this device." that pops up every time I reboot my computer. It appears to be from "Surface System Aggregator".

MS gave me a case number so I'm going to call them back and see what they have to say about this latest twist with their Surface Book computer! :pull:
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 14