They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

GoPro 6 is here

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

GoPro 6 is here

Postby sidd finch » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:55 pm

At Long last the GPH6 Black is set to be released.

all the changes coming to the new camera are internal. It looks about the same as the Hero 5 Black, but will be able to shoot 4K footage at up to 60 frames per second, and 1080p footage at up to 240 fps. The Hero 6 Black is supposedly twice as fast, offers better transfer speeds, and features improved digital image stabilization and low light performance. And all this is thanks to a new processor that was developed in house, known as the GP1

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: GoPro 6 coming Thursday Sep 28

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:06 pm

I give up, technology and new equipment is coming out faster than I can keep up with anymore. I have hardly used my GoPro Hero Session ](*,)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:03 am

I agree. Looks like they are using the Apple method...a new model every year with some new features with a increase in price.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:33 pm

I am surprised that they bumped the price up to $499. As I remember the 5 had a $399 list price at release.

The fact that they are now using their own chip is interesting. I am looking forward to seeing what the new and improved color will look like. I wonder if they update the drone to. I could see a drone with a beefed up hero session that is smaller and lighter to fly. Midway between a DJI Spark and DJI Mavic.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:13 pm

For now, you probably want to know what the Hero 6 does that, say, the Hero 5 can't. The most obvious upgrade seems to be the slo-mo frame rates, which have largely been doubled across the board. That means you can shoot 4K at 60 frames per second, 2.7K at 120 and 1080p now goes all the way up to 240 FPS. The electronic image stabilization -- a feature introduced on the Hero 5 -- is also much improved (it's now six, rather than four axes), though still no OIS, yet.

Other improvements include faster WiFi speeds for file transfer, linear (not incremental) zoom and an all-new HDR mode (replacing WDR in the Hero 5). As expected, the camera will sell for $499 starting today -- that's $100 more than the Hero5 cost when it launched a year ago.

GoPro also pulls out of the (increasingly busy) pool of action cameras that rely on Ambarella imaging chips (basically, the Intel or ARM of action/drone cameras). GP1 gives GoPro a chance to differentiate itself, and the first way it's doing that is with image quality. GoPro claims GP1 offers improved dynamic range, extensive manual controls, enhanced color reproduction and better lowlight performance, according to Woodman.

SIdd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:11 pm

Sidd, did you get the 6?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:47 pm

.... well it is not for lack of wanting one that is for sure. :)

I just got a 5 a couple of weeks ago so justifying the 6 would cause the infamous tremors at home.... lol

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Peru » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:43 am

It's too bad that they don't do like Adobe sometimes does: If a new version comes out within 30 days of purchasing the old version, you may get a free upgrade to the new version. :-
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:56 am

That would be pretty cool. So far the 5 is pretty nice. I am still trying to decide if I like it. I finally got used to the button menus that the screen on the back seems a bit foreign so far. Not complaining but trying to get used to it. I purchased a Wasabi add on battery but it blocks out the use of the screen on the back... so I think I need more time with it.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:17 pm

In case you are interested in testing the waters, this review from Digital Trends is a good read.

So, you want the cream of the crop? Well here it is.
The GoPro Hero6 Black is the latest and greatest, truly the best GoPro camera to hit the market — if you can afford it.
On the outside, the Hero6 Black remains entirely unchanged from its predecessor. Inside is a whole different story, though.

Powering the Hero6 Black is a custom-designed image processor GoPro appropriately calls the GP1. Designed specifically to work alongside the hardware of the Hero 6 Black, the GP1 chip powers 4K video at up to 60 fps, 2.7K video at 120 fps, and 1080 video at up to 240 fps. Both 4K/60 and 1080/240 are recorded in the new HEVC format, which takes up less space but requires more processing power to handle — so nonprofessionals beware.

Resolution and framerate aren’t the only things affected by the chip, either. GoPro claims the onboard digital image stabilization is the best its put into a camera, and our experience definitely confirmed this. It also boasts improved dynamic range and low light sensitivity, which makes the camera more versatile in a wider range of environments.

In terms of connectivity, GoPro gave that a boost as well, adding 5GHz Wi-Fi for three-times-faster offloading to your mobile device. For editing on the road, this can save you valuable time.

Combine all of the updated specs with the new touch zoom and HDR feature and you have yourself the most impressive and capable GoPro to date. It’s not cheap, but if you’re serious about your adventures or use GoPro on a commercial level, the Hero6 Black is a no-brainer.

Maximum resolution 4k60
Megapixels 12MP
Built-in touch display Yes
Bitrate (H.264) up to 80Mb/s
Waterproof depth 33 feet

Sidd
sidd finch

Re: GoPro 6 is here

Postby momoffduty » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:53 pm

The new GoPro looks tempting. I recently purchased the Fujifilm FinPix XP120. It is waterproof up to 60ft and drop proof from 5 ft. I'm tired of swapping out backdoors on the GoPro and Mr. Dad is happy to have his own point and shoot when we travel. I gave the 4yo grand her first photography lessen with the camera since it is drop proof. We will see how it works on our next trip. It doesn't shoot 4k, but that is okay.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digita ... /features/
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:20 am

That Fujifilm camera looks pretty good. Especially the drop proof.

Mr Dad with a camera in his hands...... NOooooooo

I thought he knew we have been over this....Mom shoots, edits, and produces the works of motion art and Dad... yes you Dad you are the talent in the production..... The heavens quake at the thought....... :hyst:

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:39 am

sidd finch wrote:That Fujifilm camera looks pretty good. Especially the drop proof.

Mr Dad with a camera in his hands...... NOooooooo

I thought he knew we have been over this....Mom shoots, edits, and produces the works of motion art and Dad... yes you Dad you are the talent in the production..... The heavens quake at the thought....... :hyst:

Sidd

:CS:

You have no idea! One of trips we climbed a pyramid, well not all the way up, and he wanted my camera to take video. Handed it off to him and climbed on down. I told him no panning to just hold steady about 15 seconds. When he returned down and handed me the camera he said there was something wrong with it. Turns out he decided to switch over to Photo from Movie and had it in Panorama. Sorry to say his footage was blurry panning and a blurry Panorama that was just a bunch of photos looking straight ahead melded into one. Hopefully with this little point and shoot he can get some usable shots. :-8
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:16 am

momoffduty wrote:You have no idea! One of trips we climbed a pyramid, well not all the way up, and he wanted my camera to take video. Handed it off to him and climbed on down. I told him no panning to just hold steady about 15 seconds. When he returned down and handed me the camera he said there was something wrong with it. Turns out he decided to switch over to Photo from Movie and had it in Panorama. Sorry to say his footage was blurry panning and a blurry Panorama that was just a bunch of photos looking straight ahead melded into one. Hopefully with this little point and shoot he can get some usable shots. :-8

:CS: Go easy on him. A technically-challenged handicap is not an easy cross to bear. There are support groups, both for the afflicted and the spouse. :)
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:35 am

But when he is in front of the camera he is a commanding force. Maybe you next movie can be about him learning to use the camera. With a prop camera of course... lol

Sidd
sidd finch

Next

Return to GoPro Cameras