They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Menu not saving at correct spot

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Menu not saving at correct spot

Postby sadddletree » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:17 pm

I have the menu set up and it will burn at SD settings so am testing at them. For one of the menu sets, it is definitely at the correct spot on the timeline but when I click on the menu selection, it shows me a very short clip from the section prior to the menu marker. Should I just move the marker a couple of clicks over but why is it doing this when it is correct on the timeline? Is this a common problem?
Windows 10, Intel (R) Core, i7 - 6500 U CPU @ 2.50 GHz 2.6 GHz, 12 GB RAM
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Menu not saving at correct spot

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:24 pm

There is a setting for where you want the preview to start. I assume you are using motion menu buttons, you can adjust the frame where the preview starts in the menu marker properties.

Menu Marker Properties.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sadddletree » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:34 pm

The marker is set at the correct place, and the thumbnail picture was the picture where the marker is set, but when I click the menu button, I get a flash of the previous scene.
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:33 pm

My guess is that the menu marker is over a frame that is part of a transition. Just move the start time by 10 frames and it should play fine, may not even need that many frames. It is due to the way the Premier Elements handles transitions, not a problem really, just make the adjustment to the marker properties :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:43 pm

It might also be an issue of a broken GOP. DVDs are encoded in MPEG-2. MPEG uses a structure called a Group Of Pictures (GOP) to store the index frame (which is a complete frame) and a number of compressed intermediate frames. Decompression begins at the index frame at the beginning of a GOP and each subsequent frame in the GOP is computed using the index frame and the intermediate frames. If the menu marker is located in the middle of a GOP, the GOP is said to be broken. Many DVD authoring tools will encode the chapters beginning in a broken GOP by beginning at the start of the GOP. This can give you a moment from the previous chapter. Try moving the marker to the right.
Bob

Postby sadddletree » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:02 pm

Thanks people. Not in a transition. Before I read this, I moved every marker to the right two clicks. The one I had problems with before is good. Two others now have the same problem... I think Bob must be right on this. Going to go back and move everything but the original one back to the correct points again...
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby sadddletree » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:53 pm

Bob, Any idea how far to the right is ideal to move it? The one section I initially saw as having problems resolved with 2 clicks right. The two I saw later were actually there in the earlier discs and I didn't catch it. Obviously two clicks isn't enough for them. I can experiment, but at about 3-4 hours per trial, if you have a suggestion, that might save me some time.

Is there a way to check the menu for real without burning and ISO file and then the disc? It works perfectly in the menu preview in the program but not when the discs are burned.
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:00 pm

I use Premiere Pro, not Elements, so I'm not current on the nuances of how the current version of Elements handles that. But, I don't think it has a way to show you where a GOP begins. Some authoring programs do. DVD Architect, for example, will show arrows in the ruler at the start of the surrounding GOPs when you drag the chapter/scene marker so you can control the placement. DVD Architect can also set the beginning of a GOP to align with a chapter marker if you manually recompress the video -- an automatic recompression will simply shift the chapter marker.

There isn't a specification defined standard GOP length. A length of 15 frames is very common, but other sizes are also used. If you look at the vob filed produced in a program like GSpot or Mediainfo, you can find the GOP length being used. At 30 frames per second, a 15 frame GOP lasts half a second. So, your chapter can be up to half a second off.

You might want to give DVD Architect a try. There should be a free trial. Export the video as an MPEG-2 DVD file and DVD Architect should be able to use it without recompressing.
Bob

Postby sadddletree » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:17 pm

Thanks for the answer, Bob!! Appreciate the information.
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:14 am

I think you will be much happier using another DVD authoring program like Bob has suggested. Premiere Elements has always been rather lite in the DVD authoring area. I used Encore DVD for creating DVDs and haven't even produced a DVD in a few years now. From what I hear DVD Architect will give you the added edge you need and maybe even the ability to produce your own DVDs. The menus are much more versatile and you can add a lot of functionality, unlike Premiere Elements DVD authoring.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sadddletree » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:26 am

Checked out DVD Architect. It has been dropped from the top ten on someone's list (Premiere Elements is #7), 45% of people rated it a 1 out of 5 on Amazon, and another review said it has a very steep learning curve. Nope, not that one. Encore DVD wasn't to be found. Anyway, the only major issue I had with 13 was the menu glitch that going to 15 was supposed to fix... Figured out a work around on that one. Just don't close the program till everything you want to burn is burned. That will get me through this stage. I am on the list to get the computer checked out to see if there are any issues with it like Steve suggested, but that is a couple weeks down the road. In the meantime, I've got this one done. Should get sent off tomorrow. Weight of the world off my shoulders...
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:19 am

sadddletree wrote:Checked out DVD Architect. It has been dropped from the top ten on someone's list (Premiere Elements is #7), 45% of people rated it a 1 out of 5 on Amazon, and another review said it has a very steep learning curve.

Rather than DVD Architect, try DVD Architect Studio.

sadddletree wrote:another review said it has a very steep learning curve.

I found DVDAS to be rather intuitive, but Steve's book should make you an expert.
See his tutorials here:
http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=44
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:38 pm

EncoreDVD is no longer available except with Premier Pro CS6 or before and that would be a big learning curve as well. As Bob/Peru says above, DVD Architect Studio would be a good choice as many of the members here use it :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:02 pm

DVD Architect Studio is awesome! Don't pay attention to the consumer reviews. Have a look at our free Basic Training tutorials.

The program, by the way, is no longer available from Sony and is only available from Magix as a bundle with Vegas Movie Studio. But Amazon has it as a download for $29!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 15