They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Dolby Digital

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Dolby Digital

Postby AVITRY » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:26 pm

whew ... Why, when I select "Custom" under the export and share and then advanced, isn't Dolby Digital available? The only option is uncompressed PCM

And, while I know this may be a question for PE 10. After being frustrated with the above for a half hour, I installed Premiere Elements vers. 10 and ... I can't even see a way to export an mpeg2 file PERIOD, forget choices of audio and bitrate.

Guys ... what the heck am I doing wrong? I'm trying to very simply set up a workflow for these conversions and I have nothing available to me that I had in vers. 3 of PE ... I gotta be dumb as a stump. please help.

thanks,
joe
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Dolby Digital

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:44 pm

Which Format have you selected for your version 15 custom output? A number of them have Dolby Digital audio as an option. (H.264 AVCHD for example as well as a number of H.264 MP4 options.)

In version 10, you can output an MPEG using Share/Computer/MPEG. There are a number of presets available under this option.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:08 pm

The entire journey I've put myself on was to accomplish using a newer 64 bit Windows OS on a faster computer, so I could use more memory and a faster processor. I only convert VCR VHS tapes.

I've managed to get DVDWorkshop Authoring program to run under XP Mode. My old workflow was put the dv-avi product from the Canopus into PE, use the swap audio channel effect to make both channels identical in mono. Trim the clip and export to mpeg2 file with dolby digital .... not exactly a challenging workflow. ( one would think)

I then bring this mpeg2 file into DVDWorkshop for authoring without the worry of having to transcode anything since dvdws will use the mpeg2 file without any further conversion.

Dolby digital was always available in PE, but it seems not as an option for mpeg2 in vers 15. This is SO VERY hard to believe that Adobe omitted this option, not to mention dv capture.

Is there a plug in for Dolby digital that I can install in PE 15? At times the converted VHS is long and compressed Dolby was helpful.

Getting tired of jumping through hoops to do such a simple redundant thing, but it seems that at every turn there is another road block.

I realize everything is HD these days but if the program can output dolby for hd, why would they omit this choice for an mpeg2 export file. :pull:

I suppose I can revert back to PE 10 if I had to, I did find this option once you pointed out the path to it. Thanks, but geez ... what's up with Adobe and leaving DDig. out in the advanced settings vers. 15?
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:12 am

There is no plug-in for outputting Dolby Digital MPEG2s from Premiere Elements that I know of, Joe.

Have you considered switching to another program? When you find yourself jumping through too many hoops to make your workflow work, it's often wisest to figure out your workflow and then find a program set that fits it.

For instance, Vegas Movie Studio Platinum comes bundled with DVD Architect. When you're done editing in Movie Studio, you click a couple of buttons and your files are automatically ported over to DVD Architect, where you can author your disc. Voila! No messing around with compatibility modes or trying to ram square pegs into round holes.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:19 am

I have to agree, Having an integrated solution alleviates a lot of the headaches. Especially since they integrate their work flows.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby AVITRY » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:26 am

Steve, first of all I really want to thank you and everyone that has helped. It seems so crazy to me that something that was simple back in the day of PE 3 and DVDWShop is now ... in the light of progress, more and more difficult.

I guess I assumed too many things when I gave up my old XP computer in the interest of faster transcoding, but still, it seems ridiculous that Adobe leaves these features out.

Anyway, it's not like I haven't tried other NLE's, but I really do have limited time to relearn all this stuff. I have Magix NLE, Sony NLE, Ulead NLE, Cyberlink PD NLE, DVD Arch. authoring program, Adobe vers. 2 ... 3 ... 10 ... 11 ... 14 ... and now 15.

I dislike the ones with the backward timeline where you have to put content on video tracks under the first track to make it show up on top.

Lots of the NLE programs only show a single audio wave form, ( I don't even understand what that is all about if it is in stereo)

One of the most important things I have to do is use Adobe's swap channel effect. I wouldn't have a clue how to do similar in other NLE's

DVD Arch. doesn't allow me the flexibility to create a main menu page from scratch that also lets me change opacity in buttons and objects, and text I put on the menu page like DVDWS does, that I can see. I need to work more with that program. But, I'm not trying to be a video wizard, I simply want to convert a ton of VHS tapes for one small video company that I've been doing for years, albeit slowly in XP.

So far it seems vers. 10 of PE has the Dolby, has the ability to export to mpeg file rather than ISO, and I have to go with that I suppose until I find the time to reinvent the wheel.

VERY frustrating and to the point of anger at Adobe for removing such elementary functions such as the dolby mpeg export and dv capture. I would have never spent the money on vers. 15 if it wasn't for the hardware acceleration advertised for the IGPU encoding.

As far as the swap channel audio effect, this is VERY important to my workflow. I wouldn't even know how to begin searching for those features in other NLE's. I know Cyberlink, and Magix ... opens up a dedicated audio editor, but from there, to me, it's just another program to fight through.

My wish list to the powers that be for vers. 16 of PE. back to simple export of a simple video file type with dolby, include their already existing module to capture dv, and PLEASE include some kind of option for program text size changes so I can read the words on the screen. My god, I have to practically stuff my face in the screen.

Anyway ...cluttering up my HD with multiple NLE's just to attempt to find solutions elsewhere also has me wondering if conflicts could arise with codecs. Seems good olde Murphy has made my computer room his second home.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Peru » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:18 pm

AVITRY wrote:DVD Arch. doesn't allow me the flexibility to create a main menu page from scratch that also lets me change opacity in buttons and objects, and text I put on the menu page like DVDWS does, that I can see. I need to work more with that program.

If you have one of Steve's DVDAS books, he shows how to do that.
Peru

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:57 pm

Interesting. In Pre 15, under Custom I exported an MPEG-2 Blu-ray 720x480 elementary video and dolby audio streams. I used those directly in Sony DVD Architect and produced a DVD without the need for transcoding. The fact that the preset has "Blu-ray" in the title may be misleading. You can also use it for DVD, it seems. I could have produced the file already multiplexed but choose the "none" multiplex option needed for Sony.
Hmm.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby AVITRY » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:42 pm

Peru ... I've been meaning to look more into DVD Arch. I do have Steve's book on it, so I'll check that out as well.

Basically what I have to do over and over is take the first frame of each video conversion from the VHS, and use that as the main menu background scene. Then, there is a graphic of a movie clapboard that is resizable ( in DVDWS) sometimes I have to stretch it and I always have to make it semi transparent so the background still picture shows through. Then I have to fill in text over the clipboard graphic, resize the text and adjust it's position. Lastly, I bring in a graphic of a "play" button and associate the main movie with that. And that's it! No additional scene menus, no second or third page menu .... just that simple menu and done. In DVDWS all that takes seconds. I'm hoping I find the same flexability in DVD Arch.

I hope I can bring in the graphic of the movie clapboard to DVD Architect, I hope it will be resizable, and I hope I will be able to change opacity of that graphic and add text freely to the menu page where ever I need it. Right after I get this new computer, and NLE stuff sorted, I am hoping to look into DVD Arch. further. My initial experimenting with the program left me feeling it was clunky at best moving text around and being able to freely associate a button with a film clip. It could be me though .. I didn't spend much time with it.

Robert ... thanks man for checking stuff out for me! I can't wait to play with mpeg Blu-ray option. Did I understand what your wrote correctly that Sony DVD Architect Studio 4.5 ( which is what I have) will not accept a premuxed mpeg 2 file ??? It needs elementary streams?
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:18 pm

Joe,

You can feed DVD Architect muxed streams.

I have Sony DVD Architect Studio 5. It will accept a muxed .m2t file, but it will recompress both the video and audio. If you had the elementary streams from Pre 15, it would not recompress them.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby AVITRY » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:10 pm

Wow ... that is something to remember. As you know, in DVDWS there was the option check box not to recompress any dvd compliant file. LOL, I love that program.

Seems like what I'm going to end up doing, at least for the short term until my pea brain absorbs all this, is convert the analog video, check the length of the completed digital edit, use bitrate calculator to set the mpeg file save, either in vers. 10 - 11 - or 15 if the blu-ray save works out. Then bring it into DVDWS in XP Mode, and unfortunately have to save the menued video from DVDWS as an ISO since it won't burn in XP mode, and then burn it in Imgburn, or Nero.

I'm wondering just how much faster the hardware acceleration feature helps the encoding in vers 15 over the vers. 10 encoding.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby AVITRY » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:02 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:Interesting. In Pre 15, under Custom I exported an MPEG-2 Blu-ray 720x480 elementary video and dolby audio streams. I used those directly in Sony DVD Architect and produced a DVD without the need for transcoding. The fact that the preset has "Blu-ray" in the title may be misleading. You can also use it for DVD, it seems. I could have produced the file already multiplexed but choose the "none" multiplex option needed for Sony.
Hmm.

Based on the new annoying timeline feature in MSP 13, I decided to look deeper into the ability to ad the dolby compression when selecting mpeg 2 blu-ray as Robert discovered so I could export to mpeg2 dvd compliant.

I was very excited to see it could in fact be selected under audio settings, but ... alas, bit rate cannot be adjusted in the video settings, it is greyed out. <sigh>

LOL, looks like when the smoke clears, at least at this point, it's gonna be simply either PE 10 or PE 11, which leaves me with PE 14, PE 15, and Sony MSP 13 that I will be shelving.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:26 pm

Joe,

In Pre 15, you should be able to select any of the 13 bitrates from 96 to 640.

What bitrate did you want? Probably none of those. I guess I'll have to reread this thread.

Edited.

While I have you here, you can select Dolby Digital bitrates in DVD Architect Studio. Just go to File > Properties and scroll down to the audio section and select Dolby Digital and the bitrate. But first, render a WAV file in Movie Studio, and use the WAV file in DVD Architect Studio, which will convert it to Dolby Digital. You can manually drag the WAV file to the DVD Architect Studio timeline audio track.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby AVITRY » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:56 pm

My bad Robert, I had you confused by my post. I was speaking of geryed out video bit rate.

Robert, seems vers. 11 is gonna do what I need. Here's how I do what I do, maybe this way isn't even the best way, but I'll let you know all that I do to give you a full picture of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Long story short, I'm given S-VHS tapes to convert to DVD. these are video's of pool matches made in the 80's. Two mic's were used at that time, one for spectator and pool table sound, and another for commentator audio.

That, according to the company, was a mistake, because many of the viewers of these DVD's had their tv's sound set up either wrong or other issues created a situation where one or the other of the audio channels couldn't be heard.

So, I convert the video with that canopus 300 tweaking the color, and sharpness "pre-digital" (length varies greatly of the video clips, at times close to or over 2 hrs )

Then, in Adobe I bring the dv-avi file in, unlink the audio, make a copy of it and place the copy on the timeline under the original audio. I then apply the swap channel effect so that both channels get all the audio in a mono way.

I create a short intro title and the same with an ending title screen. Then, I look at the timeline to see total length of the video. I minimize Adobe PE .... open up a bitrate calculator program .. plug in the video time and get my exact bitrate settings I can approach before the mpeg becomes too big for a dvd.

I return to Adobe, set the advanced setting to the best VBR 1-pass that I dare ... and let it encode.

From that point, I used to bring the mpeg into DVD Workshop for the quick menu and burn. Now ... I'll be using DVD Arch. since I upgraded to the 64 bit win7.

So, to answer your question, the bitrate I need varies with the length of each VHS tape I convert. The quality of these things isn't great to start with and the Canopus can only do so much, so I want the bitrate as high as I can set it for each video.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to PRE Version 15