They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Canon HF-G25 to MacBook Thunderbolt

For our MAC users, questions about the various Video Editing software products.

Canon HF-G25 to MacBook Thunderbolt

Postby GerryB » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:21 pm

Good evening to you all(UK time),

Has anyone connected a Canon HF-G25 to a MacBook Thunderbolt port and captured the video using a HDMI lead with Prem Elem 11/12/13/14?

I have tried and failed. I have the HDMI mini to HDMI lead that came with the camera and I have a Thunderbolt to HDMI lead that connects to monitors and TVs. I tried a back-to-back coupler to connect the two ends of the HDMI together but Prem Elem 11 would not recognise/see the camera using the combined lead.

Yes, I know that PrelElem 14 is out but I have 11 on the MB as a reserve/backup. I have subscribed to PreProCC when I have need to use the MB away from home.

If I get it to work with 11 then I am assuming that I will have no problem with CC when I next subscribe and am away from home. (I have Prem Pro on the Windows desktop).

I can record to the camera on the SD card and then transfer the SD card to the MB but I want to be able to record ‘live’ if possible?

Aside:
I have tried to capture using iMovie but does not 'see' the camera either. Is there a common glitch here?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Gerry
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Canon HF-G25 to MacBook Thunderbolt

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi Gerry,

You should be able to get the files off of the camera via USB, transfer to a directory on your computer and then import the files into Premiere Elements. There is no "capture" necessary for camcorders or DSLRs that use SD Cards or have internal memory for storage. Maybe I am missing something but I think it is easier and not something you can do via HDMI.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby GerryB » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:02 am

Hi Chuck,

I would agree with you on the recored and then transfer but on this occasion I'm being presented with a scenario of record to laptop for almost immediate review. The game will continue but segments are to be reviewed.

I guess that the simplest way would be to use the HV40 to connect via Firewire to the MB and use the HF-G25 to record the game uninterrupted.

Just seems odd that HDMI to the MB is not a workable option.

Gerry
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:50 am

I think BlackMagic makes a card that will do what you want. I believe it is a shortcoming of the HDMI input on the motherboard that is the primary problem here as it is not seen as a video input device by software. Also, HDMI contains video and audio so there has to be something to split that coming in to the editing software. BlackMagic makes great hardware but it's expensive. There might be an alternative solution out there but this is what I found so far.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink/
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby GerryB » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:12 pm

Thanks Chuck,
Very interesting, it gives me a new direction to explore.
Gerry

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to MAC