They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

'Free' Windows 10 Reveals Its Expensive Secret

Talk about anything here.

'Free' Windows 10 Reveals Its Expensive Secret

Postby sidd finch » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:30 pm

An interesting take on the new Windows 10 strategy:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... e1cc36403f

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: 'Free' Windows 10 Reveals Its Expensive Secret

Postby Peru » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:59 pm

That's an interesting article.
I'm still using Windows 7 on my newer machines and XP on my older ones. My behavior is kind of like Newton's First Law of Motion. Maybe Microsoft would benefit from being aware of Newton's Third Law.
http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect ... 3laws.html
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:31 pm

i was thinking about this just yesterday. I've come to the decision that my main Windows 7 machine (see my sig) will remain Windows 7 to the death. For an older machine it's still serving me very well. Just because Windows 10 may or may not stop being free in a couple of months isn't going to be the deciding factor. When I eventually replace that machine it will have the current operating system. On the other hand, my laptop is running Windows 10, with a StartIsBack menu modification. A few months ago my brother "upgraded" to Windows 10, reverted to Windows 7, and then just recently bought an iMac, turning away from Windows most likely forever. His needs and mine are completely different, but it does give me pause.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:11 am

Just curious, Dave: Will your new iMac have OSX El Capitan? (Many Mac users are reluctant to leave OSX Yosemite.) Will you uprade when Apple offers its next generation of OSX?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:25 am

I understand your point Steve. It's not that I'm against change. Most change in technology is good. It's just this particular road that Microsoft is going down with control and lack of user privacy that's got my goat. Windows 10 is a good OS for its OS functions.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:40 am

It's not that I'm against change

I agree change is really the only constant....I will go to 10...BUT.... I think I am going to clone my drive so that I have the old operating system just because I have heard that it is difficult to go back from 10.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chris B » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:15 pm

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... windows-81

Apparently it works in most cases. Backups can't be a bad idea though.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun May 01, 2016 2:42 am

My experience with Windows 10.

I eventually took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 on an old laptop that I use - to give an idea of the laptop age it is a Dell Latitude D630 that originally used Windows XP.

After installing Win 10 around mid August I found that MS had installed a lot of other stuff that I neither wanted nor had use for - no options given at install time. So Googling led me to the ways of removing the X-Box stuff (I don't have an X-Box and am not a gamer), Zune (which never took off in Europe) and iCloud (I do not want or need any "cloud" services.) I also had to search for ways of removing "controls and settings" on my (emphasis on MY) PC that Microsoft had set up, effectively making it the 'super user' with privileges above my admin rights.

All was well, everything working as intended. Then sometime around November there was a huge Win 10 upgrade. The result? Everything that I had uninstalled/changed was suddenly back on my PC and the 'super user' privileges also re-installed. So it was back to Win 7 for me...except the roll-back option had mysteriously disappeared. Not a problem, I thought. There wasn't much software installed on the laptop so a fresh install of Win 7 from the legitimate discs that I had would be no great problem. How wrong was I on that point!

I do not know this for certain but my guess is that when I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 and the thirty days "roll-back" grace period had elapsed my Win 7 key was revoked - or at least that was what it looked like. My legitimate copy of Win 7 would not authenticate.

So back to Google for a telephone number for Win support to explain the situation and have my key re-activated. (By the way why do technology and other internet suppliers make it sooo difficult to reach them by phone?) The laptop Win 7 was duly activated and an immediate clone of the HDD was made.

And that is where I am at present. All PCs that I have are on Win 7. I know that lots of users are perfectly happy with Win 10. I am not one of them and I will not upgrade. When I have no option but to change OS at some point in the future it will be to one of the flavours of Linux.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chris B » Sun May 01, 2016 3:52 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:So back to Google for a telephone number for Win support to explain the situation and have my key re-activated. (By the way why do technology and other internet suppliers make it sooo difficult to reach them by phone?) The laptop Win 7 was duly activated and an immediate clone of the HDD was made.

That's really interesting - as the information I've seen has implied is that once the Win7 is revoked then it's gone for good. It's encouraging to see that Microsoft are reactivating keys in some circumstances. You never know - it might be that if you ask you get it and all the people ranting on the internet about this haven't actually bothered to ask....

Reference phone support. Having worked with a few companies that offer helpdesk/customer services by phone there are a couple of things. Firstly it's expensive. Secondly, people will call even if there are other (often better and quicker) options available. Making the number obvious and easy leads in increased call volumes often for trivial questions or issues (And taking up time for calls - like yours - that can't be resolved elsewhere). You only have to look at the kind of calls the emergency services get...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/12065939/Met-Police-time-wasting-999-calls-clown-selling-overpriced-balloons.html
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby _Paz_ » Tue May 24, 2016 2:31 pm

"For the first time in the history of Windows, Microsoft has declared it was making versions of Windows incompatible with new hardware."

"The only way to skip the upgrade was to close the ‘X’ in the top right corner and, given the regularity of the pop-up, dismissing it via this method has become second nature to millions who are happy staying where they are.

Well not anymore.

Now the Windows 10 upgrade pop-up has been changed and if you dismiss it using the ‘X’ in the top right corner it sends the message to Microsoft that you WANT to install Windows 10 and the upgrade will begin.

Yes, Microsoft has changed the one action which previously stopped a Windows 10 upgrade and turned it into a confirmation.

Furthermore the user is not notified of this prior to the upgrade starting."

Wow. Not a good wow either.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue May 24, 2016 6:02 pm

_Paz_ wrote:
"The only way to skip the upgrade was to close the ‘X’ in the top right corner and, given the regularity of the pop-up, dismissing it via this method has become second nature to millions who are happy staying where they are.

Well not anymore.

Now the Windows 10 upgrade pop-up has been changed and if you dismiss it using the ‘X’ in the top right corner it sends the message to Microsoft that you WANT to install Windows 10 and the upgrade will begin.

Yes, Microsoft has changed the one action which previously stopped a Windows 10 upgrade and turned it into a confirmation.

Furthermore the user is not notified of this prior to the upgrade starting."

There is a way around that:

This notification means your Windows 10 upgrade will occur at the time indicated, unless you select either Upgrade now or “Click here to change upgrade schedule or cancel scheduled upgrade”. If you click on OK or on the red “X”, you’re all set for the upgrade and there is nothing further to do.

from here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3095675
Peru

Postby Peru » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:12 am

Well, they finally did something about it:
http://www.slashgear.com/avoiding-windo ... -28446213/
Peru

Return to Water Cooler