They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

High Definition Video and PE4

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

High Definition Video and PE4

Postby desertmangolf » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:00 pm

I learned about the website and associated forums recently when browsing the forums at photoshopelementsuser.com. This is a GREAT site!! I have been an avid user of Photoshop Elements (PSE) and a frequent user of Premiere Elements (PE). I recently acquired the PSE6/PE4 bundle and I am looking forward to creating some high definition video projects including high resolution still shots and High Def video. I have been reading forums and articles and experimenting to try and develop a good general project work flow for creating high definition projects. I NEED HELP!
I have good equipment. Cameras — Canon SLRs 5D and 40D and point and shoot Canon SD700IS. Video Camera — Sony HDR-SR1 1080p in AVCHD format. Computer — Dell XPS-720 with Intel Quad CPU @2.66 GHz, 4 GB memory and ample disk space running Vista Home Premium. The system also reads and writes Blue-Ray discs
#1 Any recommendations for optimizing Windows Vista for running PE4. I have read lots of references to things like virtual memory and the like but skeptical, given my equipment, that I should mess with any of it.
#2 Working with the video. The forums and articles I have read suggest that PE4 handles DV-AVI best. So that format has been my focus. First the Sony HiDef video. I am using Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8.0 for conversion. I’m using what they call Video for Windows (*.avi) format with a HDV 720-30p intermediate template to convert the raw Sony AVCHD files. Any recommendations about other conversion programs? It has been suggested to work on big projects in small parts of up to 10 minutes. How should I save those intermediate project sections? In PE4, File/Export/Movie/Settings choose file type Microsoft DV AVI limits the video to 720/480 — not HiDef! By the way, my project settings are HDV 720p 1280/720
#3 Still photos and slide shows. What I’ve read suggests you should be careful not to overload PE4 with resizing of photos. So I’ve tentatively decided to resize my photos to 2400/1350 before use them in PE4. I picked that size as ~20% larger than 16X9 1080p in case I want to go to that level of HiDef and to give some room for possible pan and zoom. Is that too large? Please comment! For slideshows it appears the suggestion is to build them in PSE6 and import them to PE4. Is that correct?
Thanks for suggestions
desertmangolf
New User
New User

Re: High Definition Video and PE4

Postby Paul LS » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:09 am

1/ Here is a FAQ from Steve over on the Adobe Premiere Elements forum that discusses optimizing Vista:
http://adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc448a7

2/ Basically it all comes down to how do you intend to view the finished videos? If in standard definition then why not use a standard definition workflow from the outset... convert to widescreen NTSC DV-AVI and edit this. If you want to view as high definition how will you deliver the format?
If you want to use a HDV workflow then personally I would stick with Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8.0 as it can handle the AVCHD format and you do not need to go through a conversion process.
You are currently converting to uncompressed AVI that will take up a lot of space... almost 1GB per minute. If you want to work with an intermediate codec then MJPEG is better... it has good compression and good quality. The Pegasys Inc MJPEG codec costs are $29.

Regarding working with large projects in small pieces see this FAQ:
http://adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbe608f

3/ The 2400/1350 size of photo is about the same size as I use. As you say it allows a little pan and zooming. Not sure about using PE6 for creating the slideshow... i stick with Premiere Elements.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby desertmangolf » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Further comments. I plan to view the videos in high definition probably on a TV with 720p resolution from a computer file. Eventually, I would like to make Blue-Ray discs. Video represents about 25% of my typical project, still shots 75%. For that reason I'd prefer to continue to use PE4 as my primary project tool since I'm more familiar with its many features (i.e. using key frames) from earlier versions and eventually I hope they add AVCHD processing. I have lots and lots of disk space for intermediate storage so the AVI intermediate presents no size problem. Is AVI the best format to save intermediate (small pieces) of High definition for a project? I am looking for something less expensive than the Sony Vegas to convert AVCHD for use in PE4. Does the Pegasys software process AVCHD? Where can I purchase the Pegasys software?

You suggested sticking with PE4 to create the slideshow portions of the project. I have seen a couple of posts by Chuck Engles where he suggests using the PSE6 slideshow creation to add stills. What are the benefits compared to just adding the still shots to the PE4 timeline individually.

Thanks again for any advice!
desertmangolf
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:17 pm

The only reason I ever suggest using the Photoshop Elements slideshow creator is when folks want to add random transitions or automatic random pan and zoom, Premiere Elements can't do that.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:00 pm

AVCHD conversion... Nero 8 (I think also the older version 7 with the update) allows AVCHD conversion to HDV MPEG2 that can be edited in PE4. There are other converters but they cost near the $100 mark, don't know of any freeware converters... that is why it is better to edit with a program that handles AVCHD... you dont need to convert it to another format. Programs like ULEAD VideoStudio 11+ or Vegas Movie Studio 8 both edit AVCHD and could be used for conversion but cost around the $80 mark.

The good thing with ULEAD Videostudio 11+ is that it also allows you to burn HD DVD and AVCHD to standard DVD discs that can be played back in high definition from Sony PlayStation 3 for example or from a HD DVD player.

The Pegasys Imaging Corportion MJPEG codec can not do conversion. It is a codec that can be used in PE4 for example that will let you edit and export MJPEG files. Or in the other editing programs.

So really your problem is how to convert the AVCHD files in the first place... that is why I said it was probably better to edit them in an editor that can import them.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby decolb » Fri May 02, 2008 1:05 pm

I have just purchased a Sony HDR-UX5 which apparently uses a AVCHD format. I do want to produce Blue-ray HD discs. From reading this post, it looks like my best approach would be to get the U-Lead or Vegas software rather than trying to convert and use PE4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Dave
Dell XPS 8500, i7-3770, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz, Samsung 8300 SSD 256GB, 2TB 7200 SATA HDD, AMD Radeon HD 7570, Win7 HP
decolb

Postby Paul LS » Wed May 07, 2008 4:24 am

There is a new converter available, "AVCHD UpShift" for converting AVCHD to HDV MPEG2 format for working in any video editor. Costs $49 though:
http://vasst.com/product.aspx?id=bf3e2d ... ee2cefba30
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby decolb » Wed May 07, 2008 4:47 pm

Paul:

Thanks for the converter suggestion. Seems like I might be better off spending a little more and get the basic Vegas software and not having to fuss with the conversion.

Dave
Dell XPS 8500, i7-3770, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz, Samsung 8300 SSD 256GB, 2TB 7200 SATA HDD, AMD Radeon HD 7570, Win7 HP
decolb

Postby JohnnyO » Wed May 07, 2008 5:52 pm

The only reason I ever suggest using the Photoshop Elements slideshow creator is when folks want to add random transitions or automatic random pan and zoom, Premiere Elements can't do that.

Didn't Robert create a theme to put random transitions into a photo slide show for PE4. Let me see if I can find that.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Wed May 07, 2008 5:55 pm

JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Prior Versions