They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Saving Pretrim clips

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Saving Pretrim clips

Postby MaryAnne » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:26 am

I'm working in Prem elements. 12 and I have this LONG video clip. I have trimmed it and now want to save it. Watched Steve's video at Lynda.com(Class 2/section 4) and followed all the way to "click and drag" clip into the project assets. Yes, I am in grid view, I've set the in/out markers but when I click the clip to drag it the only thing that happens is the CTI moves to the point of my click - nothing is moved, nothing is saved. I've tried it several times, on several clips. I've single click/double clicked/right and left click but no second clip appears in assets. What am I missing? It certainly looks simple from the tutorial. I am on Windows 7/PC if that makes some sort of difference?

Mary Anne Harris
MaryAnne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Saving Pretrim clips

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:01 am

Thanks for checking out my course at lynda.com, Mary Anne!

I think you've found an interesting bug in the program! Saving trimmed clips back to the Project Assets panel apparently only works when you're in List View. It won't work in Grid View.

Give a try and see if that's the case!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby MaryAnne » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Bless your heart for being so patient with those of us who get things backwards. Yes -- it does work in LIST view. A miracle.

Now however, I have another question - PE 13 (specifically the organizer) is really BAD news. I actually was so frustrated I uninstalled it. Back to version 12. However, now my 12 organizer continues to abruptly end. I mean like every other time I open it! I have uninstalled Version 12 and reinstalled. Don't know what else to do. Ideas?

BTW - Do you think Adobe is going to kill Elements/Premier? I like the templates, etc. but I don't want them for this particular project and I have no choice - plus it does not interface with Premier in that wonderful old seamless way, sigh. I have just loved this program and now .... do I need to start thinking something else to do my slide show/videos?

Thanks for thoughts and always - patient good help
Mary Anne
MaryAnne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:19 pm

No, I don't by any means expect Adobe to kill Elements. It's been a great success -- though not on the level of their professional products. And I'm sorry you weren't happy with version 13. I've not been happy with the modifications to Photoshop Elements 13, but Premiere Elements 13 seems to run every bit as well as version 12.

What exactly is BAD news about it? And by "it" do you mean Premiere Elements, Photoshop Elements or the Organizer -- or all of them?

It's possible that, when you installed version 13, the Organizer updated your version 12 catalog and made it so that it's no longer readable with version 12. Or possibly version 13 is trying to read the version 13 catalog.

In any event, assuming you can open your version 12 Organizer, do so and then go to File/Manage Catalogs. What catalog is listed as your current catalog? What happens if you select it and then click the Repair button on the right of the panel? Hopefully that will fix any corruptions.

Other than that, it's unlikely simply installing and then uninstalling version 13 corrupted your version 12. I have both (actually several) versions of the Elements suite running on my computer and neither has any effect on the other, as far as I can see.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby MaryAnne » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:21 am

The repair on catalog seems to have done the trick. Whew.

My "unhappiness" with Version 13 is the diminished flexibility in the organizer - not easy to move photos, no longer links to Premiere. Seems like Adobe took a step backwards to me. I get that they are trying to make it user friendly and support short clips that people like to post of facebook, etc. The templates are a nice addition. But they took away the creativity part (by insisting that you use only their templates) - that's the part I like.

So once again thanks so much for being there for ME!
Mary Anne
MaryAnne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:15 am

As far as I know, you can still move photos, just as always, in the version 13 Organizer. And the program still links with Premiere Elements, in that any media you add to Premiere Elements is automatically added to the Organizer catalog. Although you no longer get a list of projects along the left panel.

But if you're unhappy, then your points are valid Mary Anne. I'm glad you were at least able to back-grade to version 12!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 12