They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How much best quality video can fit a 25 gb blu ray disc?

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

How much best quality video can fit a 25 gb blu ray disc?

Postby elmadro » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:42 am

I am currently using dvd architect to burn a 10 hour hi def vacation video. Why is it that only 2 hours of hi-def footage can fit a single layer Blu-ray disc? Some sources of information say that you can fit 4.5 hours of hi-def footage. I have a sony avchd hard drive hi-def camcorder and I transferred 4 hours of footage from the camcorder to one blu-ray
disc at full quality (the setting on my camcorder is "Highest Quality FX" which is the only setting that will allow me to put recorded footage on bluray discs.) My question again...Why doesn't dvd architect allow me to put up to 4.5 hour of video (no compression) on one Blu-ray disc? Your answer will be much appreciated.
elmadro
New User
New User

Re: How much best quality video can fit a 25 gb blu ray disc

Postby sidd finch » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:15 pm

You might try to compare the size of the video file vs. the capacity of the BluRay disc.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:38 pm

And you CAN fit a little over 4 hours of video on a DUAL LAYER BluRay disc, elmadro.

But, beyond that, it's a combination of bit rate, quality level, compression, etc.

Though I'm not sure what you mean by "I have a sony avchd hard drive hi-def camcorder and I transferred 4 hours of footage from the camcorder to one blu-ray". Is the disc you produced this way playable on a standard BluRay disc player?

You can certainly squeeze lots of footage onto a 25 gig disc -- but the result won't necessarily be a true BluRay.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:52 pm

It comes down to the disc capacity and the recorded bitrate. Sony "FX" quality setting records video at 24 mbps or 10.55 Gb per hour. Add audio and you'll get approximately 11 Gb/hr. A standard single layer Blu-Ray disc has a capacity of 25 Gb. Some of that will be needed for overhead (formatting, file system, and menus). That will give you a disc capacity of about two hours worth. If you want 4 hours at 24 Mbps, you'll need a dual layer disc which has a capacity of 50 Gb.

DVD Architect Studio can recompress your video to a lower bitrate. If you are getting 4 hours on a single layer Blu-ray disc, it has been recompressed to a lower bitrate.
Bob

Postby elmadro » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:37 pm

THANKS TO ALL THE REPLIES! HELPS A LOT!
elmadro
New User
New User

Postby elmadro » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:40 pm

TO STEVE--YES, THE BLU-RAY DISC THAT HAD 4 HRS WORTH OF HI-DEF WAS PLAYABLE ON REGULAR BLU-RAY PLAYERS.
elmadro
New User
New User

Postby Kent Frost » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Bob wrote:DVD Architect Studio can recompress your video to a lower bitrate. If you are getting 4 hours on a single layer Blu-ray disc, it has been recompressed to a lower bitrate.

Roxio has something similar, it's a feature called "Fit To Disc", which does exactly that. It figures out how much compression it needs to accomplish the task. It'll only pack so much more time onto a disc, reminiscent of the old SP, LP, and EP settings, but it allows for more than just the 2-hour limit of high quality HD.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby vkmast » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:15 am

Curiously enough, the bitrate adjustment feature in DVD A Studio and Pro is also called "Fit to Disc".
vkmast

Return to DVD Architect