They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Old project doesn't display in Monitor

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Old project doesn't display in Monitor

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat May 31, 2014 8:10 am

Today I discovered a PRE10 project (30min) from 2 years ago that I never finished, so I decided to open the project and finish it. After all of the files loaded and indexing/rendering was complete, playing the timeline caused audio to be heard but video wasn't displayed in the Monitor. The Monitor window was white. I moved the CTI around and it didn't help. I tried double-clicking a clip in the timeline so it would open in its own smaller Monitor window; video did not play but audio could be heard. I tried rebooting the PC and it made no difference.

I tried opening the same project in PRE12:
- After all of the files loaded and indexing/rendering was complete, I noticed that playing the timeline caused audio to be heard but the video wasn't being displayed in the Monitor. The monitor window displays the "Media Pending" window.
- I moved the playhead around and it didn't help.
- I tried double-clicking a clip in the timeline so that it would open in its own smaller Monitor window; video and audio DID play properly.
- Each time I clicked the "Render" button the green line over the timeline would turn orange and the same files would get re-rendered.

And now, the project cannot be opened in PRE10; an error message "An unknown error occurred while opening the project" appears when I try to open it.

The only question that really matters at this point is: Can anything be done to salvage this project in either PRE10 or PRE12? PLEASE HELP!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Old project doesn't display in Monitor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat May 31, 2014 8:57 am

Ron, are you certain that it was a V10 file originally? Opening prior version projects in later versions of Premiere Elements can have unpredictable results at best. It's always recommended that you make a copy of the project file to try in a newer version, leaving the original intact. Is it possible that your original file was maybe a V9 or before? I ask this because I have V7 files that I've created even up to a couple of years ago, because V7 has some features that aren't available in later versions.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat May 31, 2014 8:58 am

I really wish you'd have made a copy of your version 10 project before you tried to open it in version 12, Ron. You probably destroyed the project file. Premiere Elements is not (with a few exceptions) backwards compatible. And if you try to open an old project with a newer version of the program, the result is usual corruption.

That said, there are a couple of reasons your version 10 project didn't display properly in version 10. Most often you can fix this just by going to the nVidia or ATI web sites and downloaded the latest video card driver.

As for salvaging your file -- you may be able to open a backup copy of your old project by digging around the in the Premiere Element Auto Save folder. But, if you do find one, be sure to only work with it in the version of the program that created it. Trying to open a version 10 project in version 12 is a sure recipe for disaster.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sat May 31, 2014 12:22 pm

Would you have a backup of that file somewhere?
Peru

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat May 31, 2014 9:22 pm

Thanks everyone! Yes, I knew it was a bad idea to try and open an older version project in a newer version of the software, but I didn't think I had a choice.

Yes, I have a backup of the file. As for what to use to open it, the most recent versions of PreEL I have are 7, 9, 10, and 12. Oh no! Guess what? The first version I used to try and open the project file was version 7, but when that failed I forgot about 9 and went straight to 10! I bet it is a version 9 project! If I can find the backup copy of the file I'll first make another backup copy, then try to open it in version 9.

And I started a new habit when I installed version 12 last fall; when I start a project I make sure to record the version used to make the project in a master log on my computer. Unfortunately I wasn't doing that 2 years ago, but better late than never.

I'll post back if I actually get the project open and finished!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat May 31, 2014 9:56 pm

Everyone finds a system that works for them. When I first start creating projects in a new version of PrEl I create a main project folder simply called "PrEl 11 Projects" (or whatever version it was). After than everything goes in subfolders under that. For me that's the easy way to know what version a project was created in.

File-folders.png

Good luck. We'll look forward to hearing of your success.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:17 pm

Wise move, Dave!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:12 pm

Found a copy of that project folder and opened it with PRE9. So glad my previous work isn't gone. Yeehaw!
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:31 pm

Glad to hear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:59 pm

Great news, Ron!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10