They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Some Images Don't Appear After Bringing Slideshow into PRE

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Some Images Don't Appear After Bringing Slideshow into PRE

Postby Johnny » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:05 pm

I prepared a slideshow with photos that I had batch processed in Photoshop Elements 10, and the images all look fine when I preview the slideshow in Photoshop Elements.
After I bring the slideshow into Premiere Elements 10, however, many of the images don't appear; there is just a black background in their place as the slideshow plays.

When I used the batch resizing feature in PSE, I set width to 1000 pixels, didn't set height, and checked "Constrain proportions." I set resolution at 200 dpi. Some images are landscape and some are portrait. When I had done this for a slideshow that I made recently, it came out just fine when I brought it into PRE.

Anyone have an idea what I could be doing wrong?

Thank you,
Processor: i7-4790 Processor @3.6 GHz
24GB RAM
2TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
2GB AMD Radeon HD R9 270 Graphics
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit
Software: Photoshop Elements 13, Premiere Elements 13
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Some Images Don't Appear After Bringing Slideshow into P

Postby Gerlinde » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:23 pm

I set resolution at 200 dpi.

This could be too much depending on how many pictures you have. I would set it to 100 dpi. It could also be a problem with your video card driver. Have you checked if it is up to date?
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:46 pm

The resolution shouldn't matter, when you're working with onscreen images. As long as the actual size of your image is 1000 pixels wide (and most likely 750 tall), resolution isn't likely your issue.

When you say you created your slideshow in Photoshop Elements, I assume you mean you created it with the Organizer's Create Slideshow tool. Did you then select the option to Send to Premiere Elements to get the slideshow from the Organizer to Premiere Elements?

And what your Premiere Elements' project settings, as listed under the Edit menu?

Have you rendered your Premiere Elements timeline (by pressing Enter) before you played the slideshow?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Johnny » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:46 am

Steve,

Thank you for your response.

When I resized the images in Photoshop, I had made them 1000 pixels wide by 750 pixels tall. Yes, I created the slideshow with the Organizer's Create Slideshow tool. I then selected the option to Send to Premiere Elements and opened it in PRE.

Here are the project settings in PRE:
Editing Mode: DV NTSC
Timebase: 29.97 frames/second
Frame size: 720 horizontal, 480 vertical
Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DVNTSC Widescreen 16:9
Fields: Lower Field First
Display format: 30fps Drop-Frame Timecode
Title Safe Area: 20% horizontal, 20% vertical
Action Safe Area: 10% horizontal, 10% vertical
24GB RAM
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:25 am

Looks like you're on the right track, Johnny.

What happens when you render your timeline, by pressing the Enter key on your keyboard?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:59 pm

If Steve's suggestion of rendering the timeline does not solve the problem,
I suggest investigating how the photo files for which the images do not display are different from the photo files for which the images display successfully.

One specific example
I have seen reports that at sometimes Portrait orientation photos display incorrectly "on their side": specifically the problem has happened when the original jpeg photo file contained an Orientation indicator for the portrait format. However, I also suspect that other specific photo file characteristics could cause failures (incorrect or no photo display).

Here are some specific questions
- First since you said that some of your photos are portrait orientation - Do any of these portrait photos display correctly in the playback within Premiere Elements ? Are all of these portrait photos from the same camera ? Do you know if these portrait photos have Orientation indicators set within the original photo file?
- Are some of your photo files PSD format ? (Note that PSD format is valid so I am merely speculating that some specific function within the PSD file is a possible cause of your problem in Premiere Elements ?) Do you have layered PSDs and if yes, is there any common characteristic in the photos which fail to display ?
- Are any of your photo files scanned TIFF format ? If yes, do all of these scanned photos fail to display? Or is there any common factor for the scanned photos that fail ?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Johnny » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:52 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Looks like you're on the right track, Johnny.

What happens when you render your timeline, by pressing the Enter key on your keyboard?

Steve,

I had forgotten to mention, in my last response to your posting, that I had rendered it when it was in PRE, but I still had the problem of many of the images not appearing in the slideshow in PRE even as they did appear when I previewed the slideshow in Photoshop Elements.
24GB RAM
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Johnny » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:55 pm

Barb O wrote:If Steve's suggestion of rendering the timeline does not solve the problem,
I suggest investigating how the photo files for which the images do not display are different from the photo files for which the images display successfully.

One specific example
I have seen reports that at sometimes Portrait orientation photos display incorrectly "on their side": specifically the problem has happened when the original jpeg photo file contained an Orientation indicator for the portrait format. However, I also suspect that other specific photo file characteristics could cause failures (incorrect or no photo display).

Here are some specific questions
- First since you said that some of your photos are portrait orientation - Do any of these portrait photos display correctly in the playback within Premiere Elements ? Are all of these portrait photos from the same camera ? Do you know if these portrait photos have Orientation indicators set within the original photo file?
- Are some of your photo files PSD format ? (Note that PSD format is valid so I am merely speculating that some specific function within the PSD file is a possible cause of your problem in Premiere Elements ?) Do you have layered PSDs and if yes, is there any common characteristic in the photos which fail to display ?
- Are any of your photo files scanned TIFF format ? If yes, do all of these scanned photos fail to display? Or is there any common factor for the scanned photos that fail ?

Barb,

Thank you for your response.

I'll have to check on whether some of the portrait photos display in PRE.

The photos are all jpeg and they're all from the same camera.
24GB RAM
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Johnny » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:44 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:The resolution shouldn't matter, when you're working with onscreen images. As long as the actual size of your image is 1000 pixels wide (and most likely 750 tall), resolution isn't likely your issue.

Steve,

I just checked the size of a few of the many images that don't show up in PRE. One of them is 1000 pixels wide and 692 pixels tall, which seems like a good size, but one that was in portrait orientation shows up at 1000 pixels wide and 1500 pixels tall. I'm not sure why this portrait had those proportions while another portrait (that also doesn't show up) is 1000 pixels wide and 750 pixels tall.

By the way, this problem of PRE not displaying about half my images is a problem that I'm just experiencing now that I've started to batch process files (to resize images) through Photoshop Elements in order to create a slideshow that will run well when I take it to Premiere Elements.

I'm frustrated because it seems like it should be easy enough to finalize a slide show, which it used to be for me.
24GB RAM
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:21 am

It really does sound to me like you've done everything right, Premiere Elements-wise, Johnny.

When did you last go to the ATI or nVidia site and update your graphics card's drivers? When did you last update Quicktime? You'd be surprised how often this solves these kinds of problems.

I also recommend going to Windows Update and setting it to receive Microsoft Updates rather than just Windows Updates. I also go to Restore Hidden Updates and I also manually add updates that don't install automatically.

You really should not be having the problems you're having. But, based on what you've told us, I don't believe your problems are related to Premiere Elements or your media.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:34 pm

I suspect that the following information is significant
"By the way, this problem of PRE not displaying about half my images is a problem that I'm just experiencing now that I've started to batch process files (to resize images) through Photoshop Elements in order to create a slideshow that will run well when I take it to Premiere Elements. "

That observation makes me even more suspicious that the problem could inconsistencies in the processing of Portrait Mode by the various components of the Elements products.

What is the camera make and model ? Do the camera settings specify that an Orientation indicator be set within the photo file metadata ?

Do any portrait mode photos display correctly in the Premiere Elements slide show playback (since you have been batch resizing) ? (This question is repeated from prior post so that all current questions are in same post.)

If even one displays correctly, then I would suggest troubleshooting by comparing
--photo file metadata and
-- photo file processing history
Of a photo that displays ok and a photo that does not display.

For example, for processing history, was a photo file processed (edited) and saved in the PSE Editor BEFORE it was Batch processed to reduce resolution?

If all the portrait photos do not display, then I would pick one "typical" failing photo file
-- does the original photo file have an orientation indicator ?
-- was the photo edited and saved in the PSE editor before doing the Batch resize ? If yes, use Windows Explorer to compare what it shows for Dimension for both the edited photo file and the original photo file. Then also compare the dimensions shown for the file for this photo AFTER the batch resize.

FYI -for your different dimension results for photo after the resize, I am suspecting that it is related to different edits (or other processing) prior to the resize.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Johnny » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:00 am

Steve and Barb,

Thank you both for your last response.

I just confirmed that my graphics card's drivers and Quicktime are up to date, and I also checked my Windows Update setting to be sure that I'm receiving Microsoft Updates.

My camera is a Canon EOS 550D (Rebel T2i). The camera does not indicate the photo orientation (landscape or portrait). I simply remembered that of the 66 photos that I used in the slideshow, I had definitely shot two of them in portrait orientation. Both those photos do not show up when I get the slideshow to Premiere Elements. However, there are also 33 other photos (most, maybe all of them, shot in landscape) that also do not show up when I get the slideshow in PRE.
24GB RAM
Johnny
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:28 am

I don't quite know what's going on -- but I really don't believe the problem is with the software or your workflow.

It may be related to your hardware, which is on the lower end of our "real world" system requirements. But you still shouldn't have this problem working with plain old 1000x750 pixel JPGs.

At this point, though, I just don't know what to tell you. Sorry.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:44 am

" just checked the size of a few of the many images that don't show up in PRE. One of them is 1000 pixels wide and 692 pixels tall, which seems like a good size, but one that was in portrait orientation shows up at 1000 pixels wide and 1500 pixels tall. I'm not sure why this portrait had those proportions while another portrait (that also doesn't show up) is 1000 pixels wide and 750 pixels tall "

"However, there are also 33 other photos (most, maybe all of them, shot in landscape) that also do not show up when I get the slideshow in PRE"

Can you find a pattern of which photos you edited in the PSE editor against the photos that do not display in the Premiere Elements ? Or maybe just those photos where the PSE edit included a crop ?

For multiple attempts at slideshow playback, is it always the same photos that do not display ?

Steve,
If the problem is system resources, are there steps where saving the project, closing Premiere Elements, rebooting the PC, then opening PE and that project might help? What P E work files might be cleared in order to assist in maximizing the available system resources ?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:07 am

Well, I suppse he could try working on the project in shorter pieces and see if that makes a difference.

In other words, does he see the issue if he creates a slideshow with 15 photos?

Although if he is rendering the timeline and getting a green line above the entire timeline, the number of photos shouldn't matter. It should play effortlessly after rendering.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 10