They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Cannot burn to a DVD - PE10

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Cannot burn to a DVD - PE10

Postby Snoopy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:23 pm

Hi

I finally have my new PC. I have the i7-3770k CPU and everything else to make my PC work hard and fast. I have spent the past few days trying to test the new PC making a movie or even a slideshow and they do not burn to the DVD (RW). I tried a few different settings but to no avail. I have looked long and hard at forums and not found a solution.

I have Premiere elements 10. I tested to see if the DVD plays DVD's previously created on another PC, all good. I go through the burn process in PE and do not receive any errors. I also used windows movie maker for a slideshow and it burnt to DVD no probs.

I have been able to create a .wmv of my project (to folder).

My PC is now 6 months old. Open for ideas and am not necessarily techno savvy especially with terminology.

Regards

Greg
Snoopy
New User
New User

Re: Cannot burn to a DVD - PE10

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:19 am

This question would probably be better posted to the Premiere Elements 10 forum, Snoopy, where it could get the attention it deserves. But that said...

Here are the DVD burn troubleshooting steps from our book. If you post the results you get from each step in as much detail as possible, we can likely help you diagnose the problem.

There are three main reasons for a problem burning a DVD or BluRay disc:

• Challenging source video (including photos that are larger than the recommended 1000x750 pixels in size);
• Interfacing issues with your disc burner (often the result of a program like Nero not sharing the burner with other programs);
• Lack of computer resources (namely lack of available scratch disk space on your hard drive). This workaround eliminates most Burn Disc problems. And when it doesn’t eliminate them, it at least helps you isolate where the problems are occurring.

The simplest solution is to break the process down into its elements and then troubleshoot each element individually.
1 Create a “pure” AVI project. Click on the timeline panel and then go to Share/ Computer/AVI (or MOV on a Mac) to create a DV-AVI or DV-MOV of your entire project.

If this works, do a Save As to save a copy of your project, delete all of the video except this newly created AVI, then place the AVI on the timeline in place of the deleted video (the DVD markers should still line up).
If you find that you are unable to create an AVI or MOV from your project, it could be that your photos are too large or you lack the resources to render the files (as discussed in step 3, below).
Ensure that, whenever possible, your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size, as discussed in Work with photos in Chapter 5, Add Media to Your Project.

2 Burn to a folder rather than directly to a disc.
Select the Burn to Folder option, as we discuss in Output to a DVD or BluRay Disc in Chapter 21.
This eliminates the possibility that other disc burning software is interfering with communication with your computer’s burner.
Once the disc files are created, you can use your computer’s burner software (or, better yet, the free utility ImgBurn) to burn the VIDEO_TS folder and its contents to a DVD or BluRay disc.
If this doesn’t work, it could be that your computer lacks the necessary resources, as discussed below.

3 Clear space on and defragment your hard drive. A one-hour video can require up to 50 gigabytes of free, defragmented space on your hard drive to render and process (depending on your source files).

Even a “pure” AVI project can require 20-30 gigabytes of space.
Clear off your computer using Disk Cleanup and regularly defragment it, and you’ll reduce the likelihood of this being an issue. Assuming you’ve got an adequately powered computer and an adequately large hard drive in the first place.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Snoopy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:57 am

Hi Steve

Thank you, I will find the time later in the week and work through your steps. My PC is relatively new < 6 months and I have space and power to burn (pun not intended).

Regards

Greg
Snoopy
New User
New User

Postby Snoopy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:58 am

PS Steve I have your book.
Snoopy
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:20 am

Thanks for supporting the book, Snoopy! Between it and us, we'll get to the bottom of your problem.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Snoopy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:53 am

Hi Steve

Over the weekend I commenced working through the trouble shooting steps you kindly outlined. Fortunately I happened to mention my problems to a friend who asked if I had downloaded the latest updates and I told him that I had just reinstalled the software on my new PC. He suggested I look for any updates.

I downloaded all of the available updates and "Voila" I was suddenly up and running.

Thank you for your help until next time I let out a May Day.

Regards

Greg

:TU:
Snoopy
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:28 am

Love the "voila" moments, Greg! Happy moviemaking!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10