They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Copying audio track

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Copying audio track

Postby DavidA » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:38 pm

I am using Premiere Elements 10 & Win 7. What I'd like to do is make a copy of the audio track in one clip, and then paste it into a clip further along the Timeline to replace the audio at that point. Is this possible?

Thanks for an enlightenment.

David
DavidA
New User
New User

Re: Copying audio track

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Welcome to Muvipix, David.

You can certainly re-use an audio clip as often as you'd like on your timeline.

You won't be able to "paste it into a clip", if by that you mean replace one clip's audio with another in one click. But you can place the audio clip on another audio track, parallel to the new clip, and either mute or completely delete its existing audio. Is that what you're trying to do?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:20 pm

Yes, it's possible.

Right click on the first clip and select "unlink audio and video". Select just the audio track and then copy (ctrl+c). Move the current time indicator to where you want it to go. Paste the copied audio track (ctrl+v). It will overwrite whatever is on the same audio track as the original clip. You can also go into the menu and do a paste insert if appropriate. Paste insert will not overwrite.

You'll probably want to relink the audio and video for the original clip. Select both, right click and select the option to link them.
Bob

Postby DavidA » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:47 pm

Wow, two quick replies and both hit the nail on the head. Thanks guys.

Yes I do want to use the audio in one part of the timeline at another point in time. I have Video 1/Audio 1, and Video 2/Audio 2 tracks. (In Premiere Pro that I had years ago the Video tracks were stacked upwards and the Audio tracks downwards, not as pairs, i.e. V3 was above V2 which was above V1, same with the audio, but working donwards. Is that an option in PREL 10?) There are also Narration, and Soundtrack. I unlinked the clip I want to use, and that worked because I was able to move the audio separately in the Timeline. I can expand or collapse the Audio 2 track. I moved the time indicator to the point I want to paste, but neither Copy/Paste, nor CTRL C/CTRL V, have any effect. When I hover the cursor over Audio 2 I see a prompt, "Click to select," but nothing happens when I left click, right click, Shift/Ctrl/Alt click.

What am I doing wrong?

David
DavidA
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:22 pm

(In Premiere Pro that I had years ago the Video tracks were stacked upwards and the Audio tracks downwards, not as pairs, i.e. V3 was above V2 which was above V1, same with the audio, but working donwards. Is that an option in PREL 10?)

No, that's not an option in Premiere Elements. FYI, Premiere Pro has not changed and still works the way you describe.

neither Copy/Paste, nor CTRL C/CTRL V, have any effect. When I hover the cursor over Audio 2 I see a prompt, "Click to select," but nothing happens when I left click, right click, Shift/Ctrl/Alt click.

What am I doing wrong?

Is the audio clip selected? Click somewhere else on the timeline away from the clip to clear any possible selection(s). Now click on the audio clip. It should highlight to indicate it has been selected. Once it's selected, you should be able to copy using either ctrl+c or edit>copy from the menu.
Bob

Postby DavidA » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Thank you for your time and input. Yes, the audio clip is selected, light green, but I cannot do anything with Audio Track 2. It seems to be inert. A bit of a mystery?

David
DavidA
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:10 pm

Can you be more specific? What are you doing to Audio 2 and what's happening when you do it?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:28 pm

I don't have version 10 so I can't try to replicate the problem. It works fine in earlier versions. Perhaps someone with version 10 can try and see if it still works in that version.

Steve, here's what you can do to replicate. Place a clip with audio and video on the timeline. Unlink the video and audio. Select the audio and copy. Move the cti to another location and Paste. Does it work for you?
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:18 am

Absolutely. I just tried it in version 10, and that's exactly how it works. Although the clip does paste to the same track as you copied it from. So you can't copy from Audio 1 and paste to Audio 2. You have to paste to Audio 1 and then drag it up to Audio 2.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks for verifying that it still works the way I said it would, Steve. Now the question is why can't David do the copy operation.
Bob

Postby DavidA » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:43 pm

Although the clip does paste to the same track as you copied it from. So you can't copy from Audio 1 and paste to Audio 2. You have to paste to Audio 1 and then drag it up to Audio 2.

Ah! I misunderstood the pasting. So I copy it from Track 1, and paste it into
track 1, and then do I have two audio tracks one on top of the other? Is this bizarre? What have they been smoking in Adobe? Or is it me? I've been around computers since the Z-80 processor, but I have never come across a situation where you can only paste back to the same place that you copied from. I'm not able to get back to the project at the moment, but will post back later.

Thanks again,

David
DavidA
New User
New User

Postby DavidA » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:11 pm

Although the clip does paste to the same track as you copied it from. So you can't copy from Audio 1 and paste to Audio 2. You have to paste to Audio 1 and then drag it up to Audio 2.

Yes! Now I get it. Now I've sorted that out I've got a problem with saving, or as we say nowadays "sharing". But that's a whole new can of worms so I'll post another question.

Thanks for all the help.

David
DavidA
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:44 am

David, be sure to watch the free Basic Training tutorials in our product section. They have a lot of good information to help you get started.
Here is the link to the Version 11 Basic Training, very similar to version 10
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

I think we still have a version 10 Basic Training too, Ron do you have the link to that one or any other version 10 training info that was on Steve's announcement page when it first came out?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby DavidA » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks, I'll take a look. I've waded through quite a bit of the Adobe Help, sketchy is the kindest thing I'd say about that. You mention V11, I believe that it has the facility to correct for camera shake. Premiere Pro 1.5 had a plug-in, Steady Move, which worked like magic. I'd still be using PPro 1.5 if it could work with the new formats. In your estimation is it worth upgrading to V11?

David
DavidA
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Version 11 has a lot of great advantages, David. But whether or not you need to upgrade is up to you. I list the new features here: http://muvipix.com/pe11.php

But the Video Stabilizer is also included with version 10. So you've already go it. It's in its own category in Video Effects.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 10