They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PRE7 Projects and PRE10 Projects

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

PRE7 Projects and PRE10 Projects

Postby kenskopp » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Hello Community,

Hopefully I have not done something totally uncorrectable. I have projects I made with PRE7 & PSE7. I upgraded to PSE10 & PRE10. I still have all programs on my computer. I transferred all photos and video to PSE10 catalogs. When I attempt to use pre7 to bring load PRE7 project the following occurs:
1) Scratch disk error- "scratch disk are write protected or unavailable. To open project scratch disk will be set to 'my documents' folder. Cont. Yes
2) Dialog box appears: Where is 'grandmasphotos-01.jpg? or other 'jpg
3) File import failure "skoppfamilydvd.prel" This type of file is not supported or required codex is not installed.
4) Project loads in PRE7 but where photos should be there is a red screen with 'media offline' in many languages. Project has dvd menus and in "Project" tab there are four folders for the four slideshows I made with PSE7. The photos do not show but the individual titles show for each photo. What did I do wrong and can it be corrected without remaking each project? I want to burn each PRE7 project to a folder with Imageburn software. Then I can uninstall PRE7 & PSE7 and delete all the associated files with those projects. I assume that when I upgrade to a newer version, your instructions will preclude this same problem from happening again. Your organization is fantastic. Without you serious video creators would have abandoned ADOBE a long time ago.

Thank you in advance for your help, Ken Skopp
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: PRE7 Projects and PRE10 Projects

Postby kenskopp » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:21 pm

I made mistake. substitute version 9 for where I said version 7. I am trying to load PRE9 projects with PRE9. I also notice the pre9 project folders have the blue PRE10 symbol and not the light magenta with the PRE initials for PRE9.
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:11 pm

Are you saying you're trying to add a .prel file as media in a Premiere Elements project? That definitely won't work. .prel files are project files. Not media.

You open a .prel project using File/Open.

It's not clear if you're trying to open a project created in an older version of the program with a newer version of a program, but that almost always leads to trouble. Opening a version 7, 8 or 9 project in version 10 will almost always lead to buggy behaviro.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:27 pm

I am trying to open a pre9 project created with pre9 with pre9 program. On my desktop PRE9 has a light purple icon with the initials pre. PRE10 has a dark purple icon with a boxes in it. When I use windows explorer to find folders with PRE9 projects they all have PRE10 purple icon. I am really confused.
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:35 pm

When I use windows explorer to find folders with PRE9 projects they all have PRE10 purple icon. I am really confused.

All Premiere Elements project files have the same ".prel" suffix. When you installed PRE10, it changed the association for the ".prel" file suffix to itself. The file association only defines the default program to use, it does not change any existing project files. The purple icon just indicates that, if you double click on the ".prel" project file in Windows Explorer, Windows will try to open it in PRE10. You can only have one default program associated with a given suffix, so there is no way to tell Windows that one .prel file is a PRE9 file and another is a PRE10 file. You will have to keep track of which is which and use the appropriate PRE version for that project file.

While the suffix for the project files is the same, the contents are not. We recommend that you finish work with your projects in the same version that you created it and switch to the new version only for new projects.
Bob

Postby kenskopp » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Hello Bob,

I have tried opening PRE9 projects with PRE9 program. Did I mess things up when I transferred all data in PSE9 organizer to PSE10 organizer?
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Unless you actually opened a version 9 .prel in version 10, you didn't corrupt the file. Simply adding .prel files to the Organizer doesn't change them in any way.

Don't worry if the projects show up in Windows Explorer with the version 10 logo on them either. That's just a file association. It means that Premiere Elements 10 is your default program to open .prel files. It doesn't mean the files have been changed or corrupted in any way.

If you created the project in Premiere Elements 9, there's no reason you should be able to open the project in Premiere Elements 9.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:10 pm

Hi Steve,
I signed up for the two month trial subscription to learn more. Right now when I try to load a PRE9 project with PRE9, I still go through the error messages I listed and the project will load but the photos have that red screen of death. Also in PSE9 there is nothing in the PSE9 Organizer. What if I uninstall and then reinstall PSE9 & PRE9?
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:31 pm

I transferred all photos and video to PSE10 catalogs.

Did you move the jpgs to a different location when you did that?

The reason I ask is that the "Where is ..." question occurs when it can't find the photo in the location where it was originally used. Also, the red photos are a placeholder for missing photos. If you moved the photos, it would explain both of these. Normally, when you get the message asking where a photo is, you could browse to where the photo is now located and the program will update the project file with the new location.

Reinstalling won't help. The project file contains the location of the photos and video clips used in the project. It's not a problem with the program. The photos have been moved or deleted from where they were.
Bob

Postby kenskopp » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:21 am

Hi Bob,

OK, when I get the screen "Where is...jpg", where do I look for it? When I find photo in organizer and click "properties" and I ask for location, should that be the folder location it is looking for? What I did on some folders is I resized them per Steve's instructions. I have always been a little confused on how the Organizer works. When I look at my folder my pictures with Explorer, Adobe seems to make so many additional folders i.e. encoded, layout etc. So I ask again whether the location for a photo indicated in the Organizer under "properties" is the location that the PRE9 project is looking for? Your deserve a lot of praise for putting up with questions for slow learners like me.
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:06 am

When you get the screen that says "Where is ....jpg", just browse to that jpeg. If there are other files that the program is trying to relink to in the same directory folder, the program will automatically relink to them to. And, yes, the properties listed in the Organizer should indicate where the file is.

The folders in your Organizer are very different from the folders in Windows Explorer. They, like Albums, are merely a way for you to organize your files in the Organizer's Media Browser.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:04 pm

Hi Steve,

I am working on reconnecting the photos. Some the problem occurred because I had to restore my computer. I notice that many of the photos are in the Adobe backup folder. I will get back to you when I have completed a few projects. Thanks
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 10