They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

differnt video formats and fps source and finished

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

differnt video formats and fps source and finished

Postby Bagtjesen » Tue May 21, 2013 11:05 am

I am a newbie only having done my first simple movie.

Now I have been asked about making a movie over village history. I live in Sweden, but emigrants and their descendants live all over the World... And they have made movies and videos when they have visited. The oldest films were hand cranked, and everything from super-8 and then to different video formats. - It is not possible to go back to the originals and re-scan... Video is also in many types Betamax, VHS NTSC/PAL, and in some cases then transferred to some digital formats.

And then, of course, they want their DVD:s in different formats. (only a teaser will be on a web page).

Using PRE10 I get into problems with mixing for example DV and PAL and an odd PAL 24fps. (PRE10 says it may not be able to automatically do some things).

I have ordered PRE11 if that will make the situation better.

So, what would an overall working method look like? Nothing more than that needed - I need a starting point for my further researches.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Bagtjesen
Bagtjesen
New User
New User

Re: differnt video formats and fps source and finished

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue May 21, 2013 3:49 pm

How are you digitizing your Betamax, VHS and other non-digital video, Bagtjesen? Ideally you should be using a device like the Grass Valley/Canopus AVDC, which converts any video you put into it to a DV-AVI, the ideal standard definition video format for editing in Premiere Elements.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

You will definitely find it easier to mix video formats in Premiere Elements 11 than you will in version 10. However, the more video you can give it in DV-AVI format, the easier and more problem-free your project will be.

What other formas, besides Betamax and VHS, is your video coming in as?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bagtjesen » Tue May 21, 2013 5:34 pm

Thanks for your reply Steve!

Well I was not specific enough on the details, or unclear. The old analog tapes and celophane? movies are already in digital formats, although in different file formats, some are approx 10 years old. There is one exception: I have got one VHS NTSC casette and an old Philips multiple video player, my friend has a video grabber card in his computer, so we,ll fix that over to DV AVI then.

All others are, as previously said in digital formats, and my JVC DV(C?) camera works well with PRE10 getting files into AVI.

(The computer Equipment is W7U-64-bit i7 3.1 GHz 4 cores, 24GB RAM and 3 SSD:s, biggest only 240gB and 1 Barracuda 3tB. Video card is only NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 - it was originally intended only for math/meterology computations).

So, you suggest converting all files from older digital formats to DV AVI and recommend Grass Valley/Canopus AVDC - will look into that.

Parcel tracking info says that PRE11 will arrive on Friday...

Will the final outcome be improved if the digital files I have (and will get) are edited/improved before they are converted? Some digital files appear to be from rather noicy VHS tapes!

Regards,

Bagtjesen (who will go to bed since its past midnight here...)
Bagtjesen
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed May 22, 2013 7:19 am

If these files are already digitized, you may not need to convert them, Bagtjesen. Especially if you are editing in version 11.

Rather, a sample of each of your videos in G Spot or Media Info (both are free downloads) and list the resolution, format, frame rate and above all codec here. If they are fairly standard codecs, you should be able to just add them to the version 11 timeline.

The challenge is that a number of digitizing devices save their video data in a format that is non-standard and difficult to edit.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bagtjesen » Wed May 22, 2013 11:56 am

Thank you Steve,

That sounds very hopeful - will check those downloads and maybe they'll come in handy - and for sure, I already know at least one codec is a bit off...

I wish every answer I got on the webb was as clear as yours were!

Best Regards,

Bagtjesen
Bagtjesen
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed May 22, 2013 3:13 pm

Welcome to Muvipix, Bagtjesen. I think you'll find our whole community here as eager to help.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10