They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Optimal pixel size for stills?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Optimal pixel size for stills?

Postby Amadeus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi ---

I am building four videos for Youtube, which consist of 75 or so digital stills in each video, to which will be added word supers, key frames, transitions, and music. My question is whether I am following the best process to prepare the stills for inputting into PRE 10...

What I am doing is pulling the image up in Lightroom (where my images are stored), then cropping to a 16:9 ratio using LR's easy tools. Mindful of Steve Grisetti's admonition (pp. 46-47 of his PRE10 book) to not exceed 1000x750 pixels, I then pull the same image up in PS Elements 10 for a quick check and any editing. Without exception, I find the newly cropped image is 1000x563 pixels, resolution 72. I can't bump it to 1000x750, at least I haven't found the method to do so (and it looks like I then violate the rule to not exceed 1000). Because it's close, and the image seems to be reasonably sharp on a widescreen monitor, I tell my dog, "This looks pretty good," and go on to the next image.

As a newbie, before I do another 100 or so more images, I gotta ask, "Am I holding the shovel right?" Is there anything I am missing?

P.S. I prepare the word supers in Adobe Illustrator, exporting as .pngs, which I then pull onto second video tracks in PRE10. Quick and easy for me to do it this way, and I can add a couple more .pngs on additional tracks if the occasion warrants. Anything wrong with this? I see the .pngs add very little to size of the video.

Thanks very much for your time,
Amadeus
Amadeus
New User
New User

Re: Optimal pixel size for stills?

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:28 pm

1000x563 is 16:9, the frame aspect ratio of widescreen standard definition video. 1000x750 is 4:3, the frame aspect ratio of full frame standard definition video.

The dimensions aren't critical. The idea is to give you enough extra room to pan and zoom without excessively burdoning the program with large amounts of data. If you crop the still image in the same aspect ratio as the video frame for the format you will be using (i.e. 16:9 for widescreen, 4:3 for full frame) you will be able to scale down the still in premiere elements to fit the video frame and not have black borders.

Nothing wrong with exporting your Illustrator files to .png for use in Premiere elements.
Bob

Re: Optimal pixel size for stills?

Postby Amadeus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:21 pm

Got it. Bob, thanks so much.
Amadeus
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 10