They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Keeping Folders Organized

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Keeping Folders Organized

Postby kenskopp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:32 pm

Hi Community,

I have been using PRE 9 and PRE10 with PSE9 and PSE 10. My folders in windows explorer are getting very confusing. Here is what I have been doing. I go to air shows and model rr shows besides family gatherings. I usually take photos and videos with my Nikon D3100 DSLR of the event. When I bring the photos and videos into my computer, I will put the "Event" photos in a photo's folder and the video in a video folder. I have been making albums in PSE10 with the photos and making a separate video album. Where I am getting confused is with PRE10. I will start a project by bringing in the photos and then I will bring in the video clips to the project from PSE10. When I save the project at that point I get the purple PRE10 folder. After I have made the project into a dvd with menus, I will save it to a folder called PRE10 "event" DVD folder. Besides the folders I make up there are Adobe "Layout","Encoded files", "Auto Save" and "Elements Preview" folders.I need advice on the proper work flow with PRE10. Also once I have finished my dvd project I now save it as a Folder with PRE10 so I can make copies of my dvds more quickly as I learned from Chuck and Steve in a prior topic. After I have completed making the DVD project can I delete four Adobe folders I listed above. Thank you for your guidance. Ken Skopp
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Keeping Folders Organized

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi, Ken. You kind of lose me in there some place, so I may not be getting what you're saying exactly.

It sounds like you're finishing your project and then saving it as a DVD file on your hard drive. But then you start talking about Layout, Encoded and Auto Save folders.

Those folders are, of course, support your project as you're working on it. No need to keep them after you're done editing and you've archived your finished project.

If you follow our advice and, every time you start a new project, you create a new folder and put the project file into it, deleting all of those files is a cinch. You just delete the project folder and those work files go with it. Otherwise, if you just store all of your project files in the same folder, each of those folders will include work files for all of your project.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Keeping Folders Organized

Postby kenskopp » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:49 am

Hi Steve,

I understand that after I have finished a project and burned it to a folder, I can delete the project folder in PRE10. I did get a bit confused when I started seeing all those additional folders in the project folder. I know have a better understanding of the worl flow I will use from now on. Thank you.
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 10