They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Export to AVI Not an Option

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Export to AVI Not an Option

Postby videolady » Tue May 01, 2012 2:27 pm

At home I have PrE8 and I Export to AVI before I burn. At work, I had PrE8 and just got PrE10 and I have the same problem with both versions - File>Export in the drop down menu is not highlighted so I cannot choose it. Could it have been downloaded incorrectly or could it have something to do with the computer configuration.

I also noticed that in PE10, I have the same problem with Magic Extractor - It is not possible to click on it. There may be even more options like this in drop down menus and I just haven't come across them yet. Why would ythis be?

(I am not computer savvy, sorry.)
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Export to AVI Not an Option

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue May 01, 2012 2:41 pm

To output a video from your project, select an option from under the Share tab.

To output an AVI, select Share/Computer/AVI.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Tue May 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks - that works!

This is probably not the right section to ask the second part about PE10 and Magic Extractor not being a workable option in the drop down menu?
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue May 01, 2012 3:48 pm

I'm sorry. I don't know what Magic Extrator is.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Tue May 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Actually, right now it worked with a file I just tried so let me get more facts together before I waste more of anyone's time.

Thanks a lot for the other help!
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ron » Tue May 01, 2012 5:48 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I'm sorry. I don't know what Magic Extrator is.

:-8
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue May 01, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm sorry. You mean Magic Extractor in Photoshop Elements. Guess I misunderstood. Thought we were still talking about Premiere Elements.

Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdwlWDoKa1w
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Tue May 01, 2012 8:17 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I'm sorry. I don't know what Magic Extrator is.

My guess is that the question about Magic Extractor referred to the Photosop Elements "process" that can be used for cutting out a person (or other object) from one photo with the intent to place in another photo. It has options like Refine Edge which assist in making clean selection edges.

Steve,
My suspicion is that this PSE process is based on some Photoshop function or tool, but that the PSE variation has a different name.

FYI - In the PDF format Help file (downloaded from the Adobe site) for Photoshop Elements 10,
"Chapter 6: Selecting Parts of an Image" has a topic of "Use the Magic Extractor".

I have used this Magic Extractor function in some earlier versions of PSE, but it has definitely been awhile. Perhaps I could help, but I am not sure.

Barb

EDIT - FYI - Steve, when I started my post, your post was not visible.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby videolady » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:42 pm

I apologize if I am repeating my question, but I can't get a video converted to AVI again.
I am concerned that I didn't install correctly (possible?) because I also had trouble with PE10 - getting access to the Edit part. I can't remember the exact solution you guys found for me but I ended up creating a shortcut from a different source and now have to use that to open PE10.
In Premiere Elements 10, I use a lot of photos rather than video so this isn't as convenient when I need to edit from there since I can't use the convenient Edit Original or Edit in PE10 because it doesn't recognize the shortcut I created.
I want to save this section of my video before something goes so wrong that I loose it so I was able to Archive onto a flash drive.
I really want to save it as an AVI file to later bring back and burn in a larger project. But here are more problems. I go to Share and choose File> but the EXPORT option is not highlighted as an option. Then I thought I would try to just burn it to a disc but when I chooce DISC (from the Share tab) nothing happens. This is the only option on the Share tab menu that doesn't pull up more options.
I am worried I won't get this project completed for my nephew's wedding. Do I need to simply reinstall? Did I install incorrectly? If I have archived this part of the overall video, I would be safe to do this right?
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:03 pm

Where are you finding Share/File, videolady?

As we said, you go to the Share tab. On that tab, select the Computer destination. On the panel that opens, you'll find the option to output an AVI.

Once again, there is no long the option to File/Export/Movie in Premiere Elements.

Take a look at part 8 of our 8-part Basic Training for Premiere Elements tutorial series. You can see the Share tab in action.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

If this isn't what you're seeing, then something may be wrong with your program.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Yes, thank you Steve. I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks! It's habit to go to File> Export>Movie - especially when I see Export in the Drop Down menu. Sorry for the dumb question. It worked and I successfully created an AVI file that ran on my laptop.

Before I continue here with the disc burning 'problem' I am going to take the time to view the recommended Basic Training series and hopefully it will answer that - and a whole lot more!
Thx again!
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:46 pm

It never hurts to review the basics! Believe it or not, I even re-read my own books sometimes to refresh my memory!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:26 pm

I watched many of the videos you suggested and learned/relearned a lot. Thx!

Now I have 4 sections that I worked on as separate small projects and need to combine for the final product. I saved each as an AVI file and brought them into a new project to burn but they appear very small with a lot of black background. I need to enlarge from 100% to about 265% to fill the screen but it doesn't fill the screen with the same dimensions like it did when it was a prel file. So now words that were visibile before are now cut off etc.

Are there some settings to use when creating the AVIs to get the same screen size (I edited on a 19' square screen and chose NTSC Standard to create the AVI files).

Thanks.
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:50 am

It sounds like you may have used the wrong project preset when creating the final project. Since your 4 avi clips are NTSC standard, that's what your project should be. Is that what you used?
Bob

Postby videolady » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:48 am

I see the preset to start a new project is DSLR-1080p-DSLR 1080p@29.97.
That is what I created all of the 4 sections in (prel) and also what I imported the NTSC Standard AVI 's into.

Can you suggest what I should use to eventually burn on a Verbatim DVD-R disc (no Blue ray or HD)?
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to PRE Version 10